Find
Notify
Tools

NV Hunt Applications
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted
Hunters interested in applying for Nevada's big game tags, can begin online application at 8 a.m. on Friday, March 19 when the online applications go live on www.huntnevada.com.

Hunters that applied online in the past will be sent a postcard reminding them it is time to apply. Those hunters who applied on paper through the mail will be sent a pre-printed application. Otherwise, paper applications will only be available at NDOW offices and online at www.ndow.org.

This year's application deadline is Monday, April 19. Applications must be received, either via mail or online, by 5 p.m., to be eligible for the drawing. Hunters will be officially notified of the draw results by Friday, June 18. However, a new 48-hour notification process allows initial tag draw results to be posted online at www.huntnevada.com within 48 hours of the actual draw, which is usually held in late May.

While they are waiting for the application period to open, hunters can review hunt choices in the 2010 Big Game Seasons and Application Regulations book, which are posted online at www.ndow.org and also available at license agents statewide. Sporting goods stores, hardware stores and grocery stores that are license agent vendors for NDOW received shipments of the Big Game Application Regulation this week.

NDOW will once again hold tag application workshops in Las Vegas (March 22 and March 31) and Reno (March 25). The workshops include information on Nevada's big game management, tag quotas and allocations, draw odds, and bonus points. NDOW staff will explain common application errors, the computerized draw system and any new procedures or regulations for this year's drawing.

Maureen Hullinger, NDOW licensing program officer, recommends every hunter attend a workshop at least once to gain a better understanding of the process. "If there is one area where we are constantly trying to correct misinformation it's the tag draw," said Hullinger. "There are no secrets, no magic formulas presented, but understanding how the process works is one of the single most important steps a hunter can take towards being successful in the draw."

When selecting a hunt, it is always important to do your homework and know what to expect from the units you are applying for. The NDOW website (www.ndow.org) is a valuable tool with several resources to help sportsmen select the right hunts. In an effort to make things easier, NDOW has placed the Top 10 Big Game Tag Application Resources on one page at http://www.ndow.org/hunt/resources/top_10.shtm. The page includes maps, hunter information sheets, bonus point tables and hunt statistics and draw odds.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 13 elk points for NV and I'm letting them go. I'm not going to keep giving them $150 a year to buy a point that I now can't afford to use. At $1200 the cost of the tag is out of touch. Add to that $5K-$6K for an outfitter and the average guy is priced out of the hunt. I've already passed on my Utah elk and bison points and Oregon is next. With some of the better areas of Oregon only having a single tag for nonresidents and then giving them to an outfitter, I feel like a fool building points all of these years for nothing. Wake up all of you game and fish departments. Oh well, I guess the wolf huggers will help fund some of your programs and pensions!

Zinfandel and venison are GOOD!

Posts: 51 | Location: Mendocino County California | Registered: 26 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Same thing for me in Colorado. I have 17 preference points right now for elk, and the area that I want to draw keeps going up in the number of preference points required to draw it. (I think that it now is 19; over the years it has gone from 7 on up) Coupled with the costs associated with the tag application, and I am through with applying. True, you get most of your money back by sometime in July, but it's the idea that drawing the area is still out of reach every year, even with more points, especially for non-resident hunters. A true joke.

one of us
posted Hide Post
UEG, since you are likely refering to unit 201, you should check out the "hybrid draw". This year, 20% of the tags will go into a random draw for those with 5 points or more.

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not much on lotteries or points, hence I gave up after doing the math. I just save my dough and book on private land with landowner permits. Costs more but then again, I get to plan and hunt more.

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
I am not much on lotteries or points, hence I gave up after doing the math. I just save my dough and book on private land with landowner permits. Costs more but then again, I get to plan and hunt more.

+1
With my caveat being I still put in for sheep/tule elk in California and sheep in Nevada.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you do apply online in Nevada, make sure you are approved with your Hunter saftey number. If you are in your 30's like myself you need to show proff of taking hunters saftey before you can apply.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
plainview: I applied for another preference point, (against my better judgment), as my Colorado hunting partner can't go this year and insisted on applying for a point again, so we both upped our preference points. I like your idea! And yes, that's the unit that we're trying to get!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
trouthunterdj: No need for a hunter safety number for me in Nevada as I'm too damned old! I just applied for and received my 6th preference point for mule deer. Next year we'll put in for the choice areas!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The CO hybrid draw does not really apply to non-residents in units like 201. There needs to be a larger number of non-resident permits before tags will be issued in the hybrid draw. To be clear, the rule doesn't prohibit some of the tags from going in the hybrid draw, but the demographics of the hunters in this unit (and several others) makes the hybrid draw worthless. Very few tags will actually be issued to non-residents in the hybrid draw overall, and most units will have zero. From a resident perspective, their IS some advantage in the hybrid draw.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got that distinct impression in talking with one of the Colorado F&G officers after the fact. Thanks for your assessment. Big Grin