Notify
Tools

.338 Win Mag
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted
Any opinions on this caliber.
I have an opportunity to pick up a Ruger M77 VGC VerXII scope.
For $425.
went west on one hunting trip about 10-15 years ago has less the 40 rounds through it.
looks new in side and out.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My M77/338WM is probably not in as good a condition, but I don't think I'd take $425 for the rifle by itself (cost me $450 dealer price 15 years ago)! Figure 2/3 new "street price" for the scope....

Hope it helps,

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I'd buy it. I sure like my M70 .338.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the value of the rifle, but sure like the caliber. it is even better when handloaded.

Posts: 345 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
The cartridge is excellent, effective, and very versatile. I've always had a .338 Win. Mag. in the safe for the last twenty-three years, and I probably always will.

The only suggestion I have is to find out about the accuracy potential of the rifle you're thinking about buying. If you can, ask to see some targets and even better, ask to shoot the rifle before you buy it. The .338 Win. Mag., as good as it is on game, can be a bit fussy in the accuracy department, and so can Ruger rifles.

But if you get your hands on a good and accurate Ruger, you've got yourself a good gun.

AD