THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    North American Air travel w gun cases???

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

North American Air travel w gun cases???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

I haven't flown with guns since the addition of fees for checked luggage. Thinkin' about going to Texas via USAir and taking a gun case. These things NEVER make the standard baggage size, but prior to the new approach to charges I'd never been charged an oversized fee for a gun case.

Gun cases still getting by for size or are we being charged extra for them?

Also, is it OK to pack ammo inside the case within the US?

Thanks!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About a year ago I flew from Houston Hobby to Louis Armstrong in New Orleans. The pistol had to be empty, the loaded mags were in my locked pistol case, inside my locked checked suit case.
I curb sided the whole thing in Houston, no one looked at anything. On the way back they had me take it out, look at it etc. All this on Southwest.
I suggest looking at USAir's web page, printing out their policies-the day of departure if possible, and bringing them with you. That way, whatever they require you will have proof of and not have to put up w/too much from some anti
Robert

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did look up the information on their site. The maximum dimensions of a gun case are 62" (sum of length, width and thickness). If you go over they can charge you $!00 each way.

My Kalispel aluminum cases are 68" total. My TuffPac is 78" total. My cheapies are all over 62". The only case I have that makes 62" is a Pelican 1700 for breakdowns!

My question was ... do they really enforce these?

(This is just F'n NUTS!!!!)

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the gun is a turn bolt can you simply remove the stock and pack both the barrelled action and stock side by side in a much shorter piece of baggage. Double rifles can be taken down but I suppose the Ruger #1 would be the most difficult to take down. These airline policys make it tougher to check firearms but we got to figure a way to stay ahead of them. Rodney.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Packing ammo in the rifle case can be iffy. We've run into problems at New York's LaGuardia, flying Continental (which permits it in their published rules, but either the Port Authority cop or the TSA guy disagreed.) No problem packing it in the checked, unlocked luggage, though.

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
A couple weeks ago I flew from Albuquerque to Pierre SD for a Pheasant/Goose hunt. Had 4 shotguns in my Tuffpac and no problems or questions on the way up, Frontier Airlines. When checking in for return flight counter clerk at Pierre asked how many guns in the case. I told here 5, as I'd picked up a broken 11-87 to repair. She said, "I'm sorry, but Frontier's policy is that you can have no more than 2 guns per case." I explained that I traveled up there with 4 in the case and no one quoted such a policy. She turned to the TSA guy who was busy counting the guns in my case and asked him what he thought. He said he couldn't care less how many guns were in the case. With that she told me she'd let them go but told me not to do it again.

Although it may be wise to know what the individual airline policy is, in the end it's up to the discretion of the people enforcing them. After all, what the f&%$ difference does it make how many guns are in a case? BTW, they didn't charge me a dime extra on the way up or back.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been flying with rifles for years now, including 2008. I have never been assessed an oversize fee and as long as the case is under 50 lbs. I have not paid an overweight fee either.

I check the case at the counter and wait at the counter to see if TSA wants me to open the case. If so, they'll tell you where to show up and you can open the case for inspection. You can put ammo in the rifle case as long as it's packed in factory-style boxes and doesn't exceed a certain weight or 200 rounds.

My case is a double rifle case with cutouts in the center foam for 2 boxes of ammo. I handload but put the cartridges in factory boxes. Two rifles, 40 cartridges, under 50 lbs. total and I've never had an issue. I've flown Delta, Southwest and Northwest for my particular journey.

Posts: 41 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
I flew from CO to SC last month with a full size case on Delta. No oversize fee, but they charge for a second checked bag anyway. I have never been charged an oversize fee even though Delta's regs state that the bag can be no more than 40lbs or a maximum of 45 inches combined length, width and height!

According to USAir's website they are charging for ANY checked bag; $15.00 for first, $25 for second if under 50lbs each.

http://www.usairways.com/awa/c...baggagepolicies.aspx

While Delta's regs indicate that ammo can be packed with the rifle, I always get the impression that they want the ammo packed separately. It's pretty clear that most airline employees have no idea what is going on so I always take a copy of the airlines rules with me. Problem is that TSA's rules sometimes conflict.

Another helpful hint. I refuse to use TSA locks on my case and instead use standard pad locks. TSA can cut these off if they feel like it but it has happened only once to me on a dozen flights. I put several heavy duty ties inside my case with a polite note to TSA asking them to please resecure my case if they open it. Every crook at the airport has a mster key for TSA locks.

Oh well, my biggest concern is that Delta is going to lose my gun anyway. I had a nightmare returning from Namibia in May and had to locate my own lost gun and didn't get it back for 4 weeks. This in spite of the fact that I had my name, address and phone numbers THREE places on the damn case.

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote