Find
Notify
Tools

25WSSM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Here is a good question.
I would like a 25wssm. I would really prefer to get it made up. What actions are availabe as I cannot find one. This is going to be a lite gun so I want the shortest action availabe. By the way I am LEFT HANDED, very left handed.

Posts: 82 | Location: Millarville, Alberta | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470CapstickA2
posted Hide Post
all depends on budget and what quality or custom amount of gun you want..

this link is for info on Kimbers lefties.. my buddy has super lite 8400 in 7mm-08 and it's tiny, weighs about 6 lbs with scope

kimber left hand

Nesika makes all sorts and size of actions, I like them because you can get a right handed bolt with a left side loading/ejection port..

NRA Life Memeber
SCI Life Member
Dallas Safari Life Member
DRSS
We Band of Bubbas

Posts: 404 | Location: Washington, DC/Arlington | Registered: 25 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to spend no more than $3500 on the gun alone.This it what makes it hard 7mm - 08 action wont work. I want a wssm length action and I believe the bolt face on a 7mm - 08 is to small.

Posts: 82 | Location: Millarville, Alberta | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Shop around for a poor shooting WSSM in any caliber and send it to whom ever you want to do the work. They're available on the used market, though some owners think they're highly collectable now. You may have to point out it's undesireability, lack of available factory ammo, brass,ect. to get the price down. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only companies that built WSSM length actions are Browning and Winchester. I don't remember if they made any left handed actions.

If you really want one, check out Hein, he will make you one. www.rifleactions.com

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
Be carful with the Factory Mod 70. My story is typical of the reason they quit making that piece of S***

I bought a new in the box mod 70 .25 wssm. for whiteail and other small game. On my first trip to the range I brought some win factory loads 100gr supreme. When I fired them the bolt was difficult to lift the handle but I continued to zero the scope and the shoot some groups. This gun shot worst than any gun I have ever fired. 3-4 inches at 100 yards was the best group. so I checked the scope cleaned the gun and tried again another day the results were tyhe same. I could not belive my results so I took the gun to my gunsmith and had him remount the scope and then took the gun to a local guy that makes realy good custom ammo and left it with him to work up a load,after a few days He called me and said to come pick up my rifle that he could not make it shoot. I called winchester and the service people treated me like I was a idoit and were no help.Just told me to send them the rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not just build a .257 Weatherby and be done with it? That would be a heck of a lot easier to put together and if you want to trade it someday, it will sell.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does anybody think of these guys any experience?

http://www.rockymountainrifles.com/rifle_packages/alpine_extreme.php

This rifle looks something like what your after.

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger #1

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Try Kevin Weaver at Weaverrifles.com
I know he works a lot with the WSM cartridges and also in the WSSM's. He builds a great accurate and light rifle, plus he is full of great ideas. Easy to talk to and deal with.
719-683-3024 is his number.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had about the same experiance as Dr. B with my new out of the box Winchester M70 Featherweight. Frustrating to say the least. It was indeed a lemon!!!!
Before scrapping the damned thing, decided to play around with it a bit.
First thing I noticed was the crappy bedding. Looked as if some kindergarten kid got hold of playdough and mixed in a bunch of glue, then poured it in the action inletting...... Winchester could have cut costs by simply not even attempting bedding. So I "hawged out" that crap and re-bedded the action in a reasonable and accepted manner. After some test firing, found that this rifle did, indeed have potential. Inch plus groups from various loads including factory 115 silvertips.
Next was the trigger. The M70 trigger is one of the finest triggers ever designed but not conducive to fine shooting with the factory 14+ pound trigger pull. A little adjustment brought it to a reasonable 3 pounds;just right for hunting in my estimation.
I then fire-lapped the barrel using only the finest series of lapping compound.
I now have a rifle that is not only VERY accurate, but delightful to handle.
I have three wonderful loads that print exactly same place at 100 yrds. An 85 gr. Nosler Bal-tip at 3350f.p.s. for coyotes. A 115 gr. T.B.B.C at 3065 f.p.s. for Deer and a 117 gr. Sierra flat base spitzer at 3050 for all around.
I am VERY, Very HAPPY!!!!
It is amazing what a little tuning will do for an otherwise sad-sack.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i've been very interested in the 25wssm i want a low recoiling round a bit bigger than my 243win but dont here much about this round what i have read about it sounds good though

Posts: 23 | Location: Logan N.M. | Registered: 01 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy a donor rifle that is chambered in 25 WSSM on gunbroker.com. I see them on there all the time. You can sell the factory barrel and stock to help add in the funding of your custom rifle.

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
As a lefty myself, I understand your wanting the rifle with the port-side bolt. However, trying to find one to work is going to be almost an impossibility. Have you given thought to a .257 Roberts or a .257 Ackley Improved? These will work on Rem 700 and other short actions despite naysayers talking about deep seating of bullets. I know a gunsmith who modifies them to a 3.1" inside magazine dimension. I have one. Also, the rifle can be built to under six pounds. Mine weighs 5lb 12 oz and could have been made lighter. Watch the weight of the mounts and scope which can add a half pound or more than another scope/mount combo.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot a bunch of my rifles today. Kinda' a tradition to burn up old ammo, and get a little more familiar with old loves.
I've been shooting a Winchester 70 FWT in 25 wssm for this years hunting. I have shot near 400 rounds, getting it ready to pound game.
I was indeed successful. Loved the rifle, after some "twicking".
Light, fast and accurate to hunting standards.
Got out some other '70's. Two in particular.
Both post '64 FWT's in .270 WCF and an '06.
They always shoot well, but to my surprise. Felt like "boat anchors".
Is it me?, or have I been "spoiled" by the super short action??? Admitidly, I LOVE the little trim rifle with the "ugly" little cartridge.
Love the others too!! Could it be possible to love long, tall, fat and ugly at the same time?
Or do I need a Therapist? Help

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dark Templer,

Winchester made the M70 Classic Featherweight and the M70 Sporter III in left hand action. However, in both models they start at .270 WSM and go up in caliber.

The WSM's and the WSSM's share the same bolt face so you could start with the .270 WSM and some day rebarrel to 25 WSSM and use shorter magazine box.

As Idkier says, the WSSM's are addicting.

Buliwyf

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote