New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which bullet for caribou?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got a Quebec caribou hunt coming up in Sept., my first hunt in Quebec and I'm planning on using my 35 whelen. What bullets would you recommend? I've been using 225gr TSXs but they seem a little heavy for caribou and I have thought of dropping down to 200gr bullets, which would give me a little better trajectory than the 225s. But then again, when sighted in 2.7" high at 100 yards, the point-blank range of the 225s is 255 yards. So, for all you caribou hunters, what would you do??? Stick with the 225s or go to a 200gr? If so which 200gr, the Hornady, TSX or Remington core-lokt?

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
Shoot what you been shooting why mess with success, all shots I have seen have been under 300yards and the few that I have taken where under 100 they are curious animals and seem to stand and watch plus they like to fallow old trails of boo's that went before so you can place yourself in good shooting range.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take your .270. the .35 Whelan is overkill for caribou. Use any bullet that is accurate in the rifle.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But then again, when sighted in 2.7" high at 100 yards, the point-blank range of the 225s is 255 yards.

Hunt-ducks is on target with his remarks. Use what you have.

On the other hand, caribou are easy to kill. A .243 will take one with good shot placement. Even super-premium bullets aren't necessary. .270's, .308's .30-06's and 7mm's with light bullets (130gr to 165gr) seem the most popular among North American caribou hunters. 6.5x55mm Swedish and 7x57 Mauser are popular rounds in Scandinavia for what are essentially the same animals.

They also aren't very bright. About the only thing they have going for them is a great nose. If you can get within range without one winding you, you're all set with what you've been using.

The last Woodland Caribou I took in Newfoundland was at 170 yards with a 130gr Hornady Spire Point in .270 Win. The migratory Woodland Caribou of northern Quebec are heavier bodied, but no harder to kill. I wouldn't hesitate to use a .270 there either.

Have fun with these and have a great hunt:

Caribou migration maps

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Dance with the one that you brought to the dance,the 225 TSX

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

It really isn't that caribou are so hard to kill but they are often on the move when you find them so you may not get a perfect broadside presentation where a small rife with a standard cup and core bullet would work fine. If the bull you want is walking away you have no shot with that equipment. With your 225 TSX you have the perfect tool and you can just take any shot that is presented.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The last Woodland Caribou I took in Newfoundland was at 170 yards with a 130gr Hornady Spire Point in .270 Win.

He was quartering away at a lope when I hit him four inches above his heart. Not that I'd recommend it, but it worked.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe you could shoot a caribou in the ass with a pellet gun and they would fall over dead.
Really, they are not tenacious animals at all.
If you want to take the Whelen go ahead and shoot whatever load you're competant with.

Posts: 499 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Have to agree with all the comments. My partner and I go every other year to northern Quebec after caribou. We've hunted with .25-06's up to .338 WSMs (just to use the wildcat for fun). Take what you're familiar with.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Inuits that I hunted with preferred a .223. It's how you shoot it, not what you shoot. How about that 6.5x55? Pretty good round.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
225 gr would be just perfect..But you won't find the bullet Wink

Posts: 47 | Location: North Pole Alaska | Registered: 05 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,sight zero at 200.Use the bullet that gives most energy and accuracy at 200. It's that simple.Take it from a genuine caribou killer and shooting ballerina.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WPN:
The migratory Woodland Caribou of northern Quebec are heavier bodied, but no harder to kill.

In fact, that is not true. The migratory caribou in Quebec are the Quebec-Labrador species which are smaller bodied than the Woodland Caribou. The Woodland Caribou in QUebec only numbers several hundred and are protected in Quebec.

shootaway, you still come across as a genuine ballerina.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
In fact, that is not true. The migratory caribou in Quebec are the Quebec-Labrador species which are smaller bodied than the Woodland Caribou.

Nomenclature differences: the scientific community does not recognize the Quebec-Labrador name as a sub-species of caribou. Boone & Crockett does but uses names that reflect geographic location for ease of recognition.

click here

and here

Boone &Crockett

USDA definitions

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt the barren ground caribou in the barren land of northern Canada .That's also the home of the Inuit or the "people of the deer" Is that what the word Inuit or eskimo means "people of the deer".Anyway,that is what Farley Mowat referered to them as.I read all his books.You are not really a Canadian unless you have read Farley Mowat.Hey Canadian Lefty,read any of his books?

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend was notified of 2 cancellations so he took his the 14 yr old son with him for caribou using 308's.The staff asked if any of the yanks could shoot as they needed some camp meat,my friend volunteered then the guides pointed out the caribou so my friend asked them where they wanted him to hit it:head,neck or chest they said chest and he dropped one then for the next he asked head or neck,he shot it in the neck both shots were 700 yards.They asked him where he learned his skills and then he explained that he was a USMC Recon Sniper in nam,they handed him a Purdy Shotgun and asked him to shoot some ptarmigan for the cook.He and his son both shot their 2 .This same friend hunts elk with a 6mm Ruger #1 and he doesn't waste any meat.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I hunt the barren ground caribou in the barren land of northern Canada .That's also the home of the Inuit or the "people of the deer" Is that what the word Inuit or eskimo means "people of the deer".Anyway,that is what Farley Mowat referered to them as.I read all his books.You are not really a Canadian unless you have read Farley Mowat.Hey Canadian Lefty,read any of his books?

IIRC, Eskimo refers to 'eaters of raw meat'- though contested, is generally viewed as derogatory, thus, the use of the term Inuit.

Yes, I have read three of his books. I also saw the movie, 'Never Cry Wolf' based on one of those books. That doesn't make me feel more Canadian, though some of his stories and views are interesting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Farley Mowat,does anyone know if he is still living?A buddy of mine once attended a bookstore book signing event were he was present and met him.He is very inspirational.

one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Walker:
I believe you could shoot a caribou in the ass with a pellet gun and they would fall over dead.
Really, they are not tenacious animals at all.
If you want to take the Whelen go ahead and shoot whatever load you're competant with.

I agree 100%!!

BOWHUNR

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes Farley Mowet is still alive and lives in cape breton.

Posts: 113 | Location: canada | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote