THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    A shipmate called to tell me he's dying

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A shipmate called to tell me he's dying
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I received a call a couple of days ago from one of my old shipmates. In a hoarse whisper he says "Frank, it's Stan. I'm dying and wanted to say goodbye." Stan is in stage 4 with massive organ failure that was just found about 4 weeks ago. I talked to his daughter this evening and Stan is unconscious and not expected to last through the night.

Stan and I were stationed together on the USS John Adams, SSBN 620 back in the early 80's during the cold war days of 72 day submarine deterrent patrols and spent months together underwater sharing every details of our lives. He was a Nuc electrician and I was a Nuc machinist mate and we stood watches together in the same section for many long, dreary days underwater.

Our families became the best of friends and we are still close 30 years later. Our off time was spent on family camping and fishing trips while we were stationed together in Charleston, SC. and Stan and I hunted deer and turkey together for years. We later served together as instructors up in the US Navy Nuclear Power Training Unit in Idaho Falls, Idaho and spent all of our free time together hunting and fishing all over Idaho.

Stan was one of the survivors of the Deep Horizons oil rig explosion in the Gulf of Mexico in 2010 and was missing for a couple of days before they found him injured in one of the evacuation hospitals.

Stan was a very Christian southern gentleman so I offer this prayer in his honor:

Submariner's Prayer

Lord God, our power evermore,
Whose arms doth reach the ocean floor,

Dive with our men beneath the sea;
Traverse the depths protectively.

O' hear us when we pray, and keep
Them safe from peril in the deep.

There are no roses on a Sailor's grave,
No lilies on an ocean wave.

The only tribute are the seagulls' sweeps,
And the teardrops that a sweetheart weeps.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12596 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent,a beautiful friendship indeed.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of your friend's condition Frank. May God bless and welcome him.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank,

These are borrowed words that I have referred to far to many times.

"It's hard sometimes, but as long as we remember them around the campfire, they will live forever."

Walt Specht MM1(SS), nearing Veteran's Day, 2005

My the All Mighty welcome him and help those your friend has left behind.

Carl

Exercise makes you look good naked, so does bourbon.....You decide

Posts: 189 | Location: Was Kansas, USA - Now South Australia | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your acknowledgement of your friendship is a tribute to both of you. God bless.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Prayers for your buddy and you.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stand down Sailor, Your watch is done patriot salute

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Prayers to both families sir.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Frank,

Sounds like a very good friend, so sorry to hear it. God bless him and his family.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank,

Thanks for sharing this heavy-hearted time with us. You were blessed with a dear friend, shipmate and hunting buddy. Such relationships are a treasure.

The Lord has kept Stan in the palm of His loving hand* and we pray that he, his family and loved ones will be comforted through this time. [*Daily we are in His care and dependent upon him. Sadly, we under- appreciate this, save for the dramatic oil- rig rescue times. Wow... glad Stan made it through that... and PTL!]

Thanks also, Frank for sharing the Submariner's Prayer:
quote:

Lord God, our power evermore,
Whose arms doth reach the ocean floor,

Dive with our men beneath the sea;
Traverse the depths protectively.

O' hear us when we pray, and keep
Them safe from peril in the deep.

There are no roses on a Sailor's grave,
No lilies on an ocean wave.

The only tribute are the seagulls' sweeps,
And the teardrops that a sweetheart weeps.

To Stan: "Well done, good and faithful servant."

salute patriot salute

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Condolences and prayers sent to both families. Hard to lose a good friend.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
So sorry. Remember the good times and drink a toast at sundown.
salute

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Prayers sent!

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear about your friend....prayers sent for him and his family.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stay strong Frank

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1299 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best thoughts for you, your shipmate, and his family. Never easy ...

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tell him this old retired Chief wishes him Fair Winds and a Calm Sea to set his course by. I've got a lot of respect for you Bubbleheads. I could never sail on one of them. I'd go batshit crazy inside a metal tube day after day, week after week.

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote