New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Whitetail
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My great niece Trisha took her first Buck this year!!! She is 10 and she shot a Dandy 10 point Whitetail. I will send a picture to Charles if he has time to post it here.

Hawkeye47

One of Us
Picture of Harold R. Stephens
posted Hide Post
Tell her, from all of us here at AR, congratulations. I hope she truly enjoyed the experience?

Founding member of the 7MM STW club

Member of the Texas Cull Hunters Association

Posts: 512 | Location: Granbury, Texas | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to her! Fire away and I'll be happy to post it.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trust me guys she was super excited about getting her deer. She told her dad it was just like the one they shot on the TV show. In reallity it was a lot better than a bunch I have seen shot on hunting shows.

Charles my wife will send you the picture from work in the morning. My niece is really excited about being on AR. Thanks so much for posting her picture.

Hawkeye47

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Pictures:

Congratulations to her on a great buck!

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a pretty auspicious start! Looks like she put the bullet where it was supposed to go, also. Congrats!

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
She shot him with a 788 Remington in 243 caliber. It has been cut down to fit a youth and she shoots it really well. The buck only went 30 yards and piled up stone dead! I told her she was really Lucky because I hunted 25 years before killing a buck that good.

Thanks Charles for posting her pictures!

Hawkeye47

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!!

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Very nice, it is great to see young one involved in the hunting sports

thumb

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jwp475,

She is really hooked on the outdoors! She shot her first Turkey last year, her deer this year, and now wants to shoot a Goose!!!!

Hawkeye47

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hawkeye,
You are correct, this is way better than a hunting show. Contrats to your niece. She may live to be 100 and kill as many bucks but she will never forget this one.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
Very nice, it is great to see young one involved in the hunting sports

thumb

+1

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Great buck! Please relay my congratulations to the young lady!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7541 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's all about being in the right place at the right time. And lady luck does the rest Wink)

Great deer though - what a smile on that young lady!!

"Shoot hard, boys."

Posts: 115 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 17 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Trisha, Congratulations on your first buck

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow,that's some first deer....

thumb

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTT for Trishas friends!

Hawkeye47

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
She'll never forget it, ever. Wonderful!

Posts: 1067 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Much, much better than my first buck!!!!

Congrats!!! clap

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Graybird,

My first buck was a forkhorn and after 50 years I can still remember every detail!!!

Hawkeye47

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Very nice...especially for a FIRST buck! thumb

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9376 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a beautiful buck. Congrats to Trisha!

Posts: 161 | Location: La Honda, California | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Congrats Trisha...he's a monster!

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Holy cow,nice Buck Trisha!!!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye47:
Graybird,

My first buck was a forkhorn and after 50 years I can still remember every detail!!!

Hawkeye47

Hawkeye,

My first buck was a basket racked 6-point. I remember him like it was yesterday, also. He came from behind me on my right. WHen I saw him, I started shaking like a leaf on a tree during a tornado. I steadied the gun as best as possible, when I felt comfortable I 'YANKED!!!" the trigger. I wish I could say I applied a slow steady pull on the trigger, but I didn't. When the gun when off, I noticed bits of tree flying through the air, but no buck at all. He simply vanished!

I looked back thru the scope and noticed I hit the edge of a tree a few feet in front of the buck. I got down out of the tree stand and went to look for my buck, but couldn't find neither him or the tree I hit. So, I climbed back into the tree and noticed I was looking way too close to my stand. Back to the ground and I found him. The bullet glanced off the tree and hit him in the spine.

I rolled the deer over and his front right leg was almost completely blown off at the knee joint. It was completely puss riden and absolutely unfit for consumption. I guess he was shot at during the muzzleloader season a few weeks prior to gun season, who knows. But, I tagged him, took him to the check station, and thankfully the DOW issued me another tag, which I ended up taking a doe with on the last day of the season.

This was about 20 years ago, and I still remember every second of that hunt!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great buck!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote