THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: An accessory handgun for a rifle hunter

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: An accessory handgun for a rifle hunter
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I see no need for a handgun for the hunter..When I do pack one its a small 22 S&W kit gun for shooting grouse for camp meat....

Posts: 41875 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I used to pack a handgun while rifle hunting, but it just seems like more bother than it's worth. I do bring a 4 5/8"SSBH in .45colt for walking around w/o the rifle, like when I have to pack meet or just along for the walk when my tag is filled. It's light, powerfull & versatile (light loads, 300gr for bear & shotshells for grouse).

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The use of a handgun in a stand or sitting situation has merit. If one is unable to turn with a rifle for fear of spooking the game, it can be very handy. I like a .44 mag double action Smith.

Posts: 157 | Location: The Edge of Texas | Registered: 26 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
I have several handguns and I see know need for one while hunting.I already hunt with a rifle that is way better than the numerous pistols for protection.Now for camp meat like grouse etc I would choose my .22 pistol but I don't carry it because when hunting I don't shoot Grouse.I like my 20 guage Double for grouse after the hunt around camp.

Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I bow, predator or turkey hunt I carry a Blackhawk in 41 Rem Mag with a stiff load of H110 an 210 Hornady XTP's. It is my pepper spray for bears and big kitties. I have carried it deer, and elk hunting with a rifle but have never had to used it. We hunt some very brushy country and it is comforting having a pistol when crawling down a black bear trail or turkey calling in big cat country. I couldn't imagin hunting close cover in grizzly or brown bear country.

Posts: 135 | Location: Southern Oregon | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
C-Roy, alot will depend on the use and area hunting. A 22 mag revolver would be a great packing gun that could also be used for some small game. If hunting an area with alot of bear or bear encounters, I would opt for something in the 44 mag range.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I used to carry a Super Blackhawk with 300 grn Softpoints during Idaho blackpowder elk hunts because we were in grizzly country.
I also used it as a second gun off deer stands with 240 grn Hornady HP's for whitetail in South Carolina.

Posts: 12549 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
C-ROY,

I pack a S+W Model 586 357 Mag. w/ a 6" barrel. I don't carry it all of the time and when I do, it is just in case I get a close shot opportunity.

I have taken several hogs w/ my Smith. The biggest one (Russian) tipped the scales at 350# and was sporting 4" cutters. Some say the 357 mag doesn't pack enough punch but, I have the pictures to prove it.

The Smith is my pick because of its accuracy, w/ open sights and sandbags, I get 2" groups at 40 yards and 3" groups at 50. I feel confident to take any deer sized game out to 50 yards.

My load consist of 15 grns of H. Lil' Gun pushing a 158 grn. JHP. for around +/- 1400 fps. I have not tried the 180s but, I imagine that accuracy woould be astounding.

Good Luck w/ your choice.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I see no need for a handgun for the hunter..

I got one for you.....

We get a lot of raccoons and other varmits invading box blinds down here. It is a lot easier, safer, and quieter to knock them out of your blind at 5AM with a handgun than your deer rifle!

I carry a S&W Model 66-2 .357 with Winchester 180 grain partition Gold in case I need to make a shot that is too close for my scope to focus.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Listen to what Ray Atkinson says.

But if you gotta have a sidearm for something besides knocking over a partridge, listen to what Leanwolf says.

Posts: 44 | Location: Wolverton Mountain, NH | Registered: 22 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
C-ROY, given you said "... personal protection..." I'll assume you meant protection from two legged predators. If so, then given you also said you have shot handguns, but don't own one, I'll assume you haven't practiced enough -- yet -- to become too proficient with one.

Therefore, I suggest you try a few different 4" barreled revolvers in .357 Magnum, and find which feels best to you. I've found that for me -- and my wife -- our S&W 19, Ruger Security Six, or Colt's Trooper, in .357 Mag., all with 4" barrels, make easy totin' pieces out in the field. If need be, they are fine for a "finishing shot," or, if some two legged predator decided we were easy prey, would be all that's necessary to dissuade that predator and convince him to take up a differrent profession.

Being proficient with a handgun requires much practice, and by shooting a lot of .38 Specials, then moving up to the .357 Mag cartridges, you'll become quite competent. I strongly advise you NOT to buy one of the "lightweight" .357s because they are in no way, shape, or form, fun to use in practice!

A good holster is a must. You want that piece out of the way of your rifle. I like a good shoulder holster, but a sturdy crossdraw also keeps your strong side free for rifle use.

Just my suggestions. L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote