New
Find
Notify
Tools

MOA
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is 1MOA? Does this mean a 1inch group at 100 yds? Also when measuring groups, do you count it as the farthest measurement center to center between the three shots or is it the farthest outside edges of each of the three shots? Thanks Nathan

Posts: 50 | Location: Katy, Texas | Registered: 07 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Technically, 1 MOA (one minute of angle) is 1.046 inches. In geometric terms, one minute of angle is 1/60 of a degree. A circle at 100 yards has a circumference of 22,608 inches; hence one degree subtends 62.8 inches; hence one minute subtends 1.04 inches - close enough to call it an inch! [Smile]

Posts: 5835 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
<memtb>
posted
Nathan, To finish up on your question; You measure the outside of the holes fartherest apart, then subtract bullet dia. - example; 3 shots, the outside measures exactly 1", your shooting a .308 dia. bullet. Subtract .308 from 1.0", your group is .692".
Hope this helps. -memtb

one of us
posted Hide Post
 -

Here is a picture of my target from the range yesterday. I shot this at 100 yds with my 7mm Rem Mag and 150 gr. Core-Lokt bullets out of a stock Remington BDL SS Rifle. I shot the ones in the white area, my dad shot the ones in the orange. The white circle is just under 2" in diameter. The three shots touching each other to the right of the bullseye are .25" center to center and .5" in diameter. I was quite impressed with its performance as a stock rifle.

Posts: 50 | Location: Katy, Texas | Registered: 07 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
 -
I don't know why the picture isn't working after a few hours, here goes again