New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Mexico Barbary Sheep
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone hunt these? In what part of the state are they found? Are they on public land?

It seems like a pretty generous season at an otherwise slow time of year, and the tags are cheap.

I'm going to be in northern NM in a couple of weeks and wouldn't mind checking them out.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
<rws2>
posted
John,
I reasearched this somewhat and what I was told was the NM Fish&Game had basically declared war on exotic species.I was also told that it was a shame that they (NM F&G) sold tags for something that there was too few of to none of left.
I was really curious about the Ibex OTC Tags but the above was what I was told by some NM residents.
Now If you find out different it sounds like fun.
I'd like to get an Ibex or Oryx Tag in the Draw These hunts are near 100%
Hope you find out something better than I did.After looking long and hard I felt the Texas Free Ranging Hunts were in the long run cheaper and success ratios higher. rws2

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted them a couple of times in the Lincoln National Forest in the Guadalupe Mountian range west of Carlsbad. I've never seen one. I sure wouldn't feel bad about shooting one if I got the chance. I usually try to make a trip up once a year to either call for lion or hunt sheep. Not too many hunters up and around this time of year so we treat it as camping/hunting trip. The Guads are very steep, rough and rugged. The success rate on these animals is pretty low on public land. We talked to some locals that called them the ghost sheep if that gives you any idea.

Posts: 125 | Location: Coalgate, Oklahoma | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
<2nd Amendment>
posted
I live in SE New Mexico, and the Barbary Sheep are in VERY SMALL isolated herds in the Guadalupes, lower encarpment of the Sacramento Mountains, as well as small numbers around the White Sands Missile Range.

If you are going to be in Northern New Mexico, buying a tag for the sheep will merely add to the state coffers and not to your trophy room. However, there are some beautiful mountain areas in the north, so bring a fly rod and enjoy your stay.

one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

They are few and far between on public land. You may still run into them on occasion but I wouldn't plan a trip around it unless you are just looking for an excuse to make a trip.

To echo 2nd's comments... I haven't heard any positive reports from the Northern part of the state... I'm afraid the "war" rws2 mentioned has been all too sucessful.

Posts: 337 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all. Looks like I'm going to the wrong end of the state to see these particular sights.

Any "must see" gun shops in Albuquerque & northward?

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My mother and father both got Barbary sheep up around Roy NM. There are quite a few on Mt. Taylor on public and private land. As a side note there are Himilian (can't spell) Tar on Taylor also. No license required for them.

Barny

[ 08-09-2002, 07:03: Message edited by: barny ]

Posts: 21 | Location: NM | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
<thomas purdom>
posted
I live in Grants, New Mexico, right below Mount Taylor. There are supposed to be a few Barbary Sheep on the mountain plust some Hemi Thars. I was told that the Laguna Indians all but shot the Thars out. Contact the Albuquerque Field Office for the New Mexico Game and Fish Department and ask for Chris Chadwick. See if he can steer you in the right direction. Also, in Albuquerque, Charlies Sporting Goods and Ron Peterson Guns are two of the shops I hang in when I have occassion to go to Abq. Good luck ... Tom Purdom

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
There is a good population of free-range Aoudad/Barbary in west Texas. It is all private land and mostly on very large ranches. You would have to use a guide.

Good Hunting,

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
After talking to dozens and dozens of hunters here in New Mexico I am becoming more and more convinced that there is virtually no science involved in the state's hunting regulations and harvest quotas; it's all about money. The state sells thousands of tags for hunts where it is extremely unlikely a hunter will ever encounter the species their hunting. Barbary sheep, OTC Ibex and Javelina (in the central part of the state) are three great examples. By doing this the NMGF brings a bunch of money in. Most OTC deer hunts in the state are the same way. The State doesn't give a damn about the deer herd, only the money (especially non-resident) that is brought in.

Follow the money.

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I think state game departments are having a good joke on us ever-optimistic hunters.

For instance, the Virginia regulations state a season and bag limits for pheasant, a bird which as far as I know does not exist in the wild anywhere in the Old Dominion with the possible short-lived exception of escapees from shooting preserves.

(Just kidding of course since most fish & game employees are good folks and hunters or fishermen themselves ... but sometimes you do have to wonder.)