New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Music before a hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just curious. What is your favorite music to listen to before a hunt? For a hog hunt I go with Van Halen or some Hank Jr.
For a deer hunting I'm more into classical or no music at all to clear my head.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
Before a hunt I listen to absolutely nothing. It may sound corny, but I like silence before a hunt. Since almost all of my hunting is on foot stalking, I like to begin by calibrating my ears to pick up every sound I make: clothing, joints, breathing etc.

As a general rule however, I am a man of classical tastes! Big Grin

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WILLIE & WAYLON

one of us
posted Hide Post
country and western....chris

Posts: 304 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
KORN.....

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Ride Of The Valkyries- Richard Wagner

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't listen to any music either, but if I did this would be it:

Carmina Burana

Posts: 113 | Location: Cajun Country | Registered: 12 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Lohengrin (Pilgrim's March), Wagner. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
The forest becomming "awake"!

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Here in the middle of Idaho it is Country Western on the radio.I always listen to the news and music each morning before going out and alittle Paul Harvey to remind me how nice it is going to be out there without any noise at all. Big Grin

I logged for a guy who shut down the whole operation at 11 O'Clock every day just to listen to Paul Harvey.No exceptions either.My wife likes to listen to Wayne Carlton in September.....She is improving. thumb

Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I don't really listen to anything before a hunt, but the words of Harris and Ryden -- and the vivid imagery of Wyoming and Montana -- sure bring thoughts of hunting and the great outdoors to my mind.

I'm sure many of you haven't heard of them, but the website is www.harrisandryden.com for anyone interested. I believe they have a few samples on there to listen to...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Fleetwood Mac... on the way there

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fleetwood Mac for me too,but also "Eye of the Tiger" .

Posts: 47 | Location: Norway | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love country music, but have found myself running the lines of James Brown's lyrics, "I feel good...!" through my head while sitting in a blind or stationed out.

D. Nelson

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Johnny Cash.

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
If its on the I-pod its worth listen to.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Statler Brothers

Posts: 262 | Location: PA & VA, USA | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Whatever is on the radio, unti I park the truck.

Often, there is no radio service where I hunt, and I sure as hell am not going to throw a ghetto laster in my pack! Big Grin

375 Ruger- The NEW KING of the .375's!!

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Anything without lyric's, that needs no ampliphiers or electricity and is preferably over 80 years old.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Grateful Dead. Cool

Jeff

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ted Nugents Hunt Music CD. I have hunted with Ted several times so I'm kinda partial to his CD.................JJ

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
KANSAS

Posts: 12 | Location: Chicago IL USA | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
While driving to the hunting place I enjoy listening local folklore like zambas, milongas, etc....

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Fun question! First, I thought "what ever is in the CD-player" but then I started thinking.
Driving to a hunt more often than not I have some celtic folks music on the CD-player. Usually something traditional, and most likely fiddle since I mistreat such an instrument myself. Lately I have also had The Pogues on in the car a lot. Either that or some more traditional Swedish ballads.

Classical music I prefer to listen to in a good comfortable wingchair (if not in a concert hall).

Regards,
Martin

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hm, I guess that anything with Horowitz, Heifetz or why not Milstein or Friedman are to be found available. It might also be something conducted by Furtwängler or Walter depending on my mood. As the great ones are long gone I treasure the vintage collection that I presently possess although it would have been lovely to actually be in a concert hall with these giants.

/ Daniel

Posts: 271 | Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
.......Marty Robbins on the way out.

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt on an island, based in a semi-permanent camp that's just above the high-tide line. One year, I killed a deer at dusk and got back to camp with it long after dark. The fire was tall and my three hunting partners were kicked back waiting to start cooking dinner. While I hung the deer, one of them fiddled with the radio and found the most beautiful string quartet I have ever heard. As we ate, my deer hung just at the edge of the fire's light. The Pacific Ocean lay at our feet to the east and except for the music, camp was pretty quiet.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I agree with some of the others. I want ie quite, It is all part of the process of slowing down and trying to blend with the Mts.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't want any distractions. I want me, the mountain and it.

Posts: 13873 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before a duck hunt, I enjoy Steve Miller. Keeps me awake for that 4am drive!

Posts: 71 | Location: Seattle | Registered: 22 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While hunting I like to hear every sound the natural setting has to offer. When I shoot from my private benchs I listen to Classical, Country, Bluegrass or Opera while shooting. It is a very private woods setting and I turn up the volumn to where I can hear it over ear plugs and muffs. The squirrels, turkeys and deer seem to enjoy it. My shooting buddy always asks what the music will be today, sometimes offering his favorites. thumb Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 31/2Makesmelaugh
posted Hide Post
I agree with JJ Miller-Ted Nugent, "Fred Bear" Not much on rock, (I mainly listen to bluegrass) but the whackmaster ain't bad.

"Archery enshrines the principles of human relationships. The Archer perfects his form within himself. If his form is perfect, yet when he releases he misses, there is no point in resenting those who have done better than him. The fault lies nowhere."(Confucious)

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lundboat,
Just thought you might like to know that Steve Miller is also a big hunter. Hunted during the same time a few years ago in New Mexico. At the time we just thought he was a great guy who brought the wife out for a great elk hunt, found out later that he was THE Steve Miller of the Steve Miller Band. Also heard he gave a nice little private preformance for some of the staff at the lodge. If we had only know. Grew up listening to him.

Posts: 150 | Location: Washington | Registered: 01 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KB1, that sounds pretty cool! Guess he has or had a home near here, Mercer Island I have heard. Would be pretty fun to be in the same camp, though. Where did you hunt in NM? Hunted there 2 years ago and am heading back for 2 more hunts this year and one for next spring. Love that place... hope I can talk my wife into moving there once we decide work is not as much fun as hunting and fishing... (right).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lundboat,
We were hunting at Vermijo in Raton NM, it is one of Ted Turners places, I believe some people refer to it as heaven.Anyway its our idea of what heaven must be like. I have hunted there 4 times and it is great. Hope you can talk your wife into it because it is beautiful, but so is Washington State. We live in the Columbia river gorge. We have been alot of places but when we return home we are amazed at how beautiful of an area we are fortunate enough to live in.

Posts: 150 | Location: Washington | Registered: 01 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
KB1, I will be hunting Rio Costia Ranch for the second time coming up this fall. The ranch borders Vermejo, I think to the west, maybe southwest of Ted's place. It is a wonderful area and I really enjoy hunting there. Your also right about Lyle! I've caught some great steelhead in the area and have seen some monster bucks as well. You live in a beautiful playground! Smiler

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
You guys are WAAAAAAY too serious here.
I thought by now somebody would have come up with this one, but oh well it has to be me.
"Another one bites the dust" by Queen Big Grin

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blacktailer, thought that photo looked familiar. Mafigeni Safaris? Looks like you had a good hunt!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NPR

Posts: 36 | Location: Fairfax County, Virginia | Registered: 22 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lundboat:
Blacktailer, thought that photo looked familiar. Mafigeni Safaris? Looks like you had a good hunt!

Yes that's Claude. We hunted with him and Jill in Sept 2003. Can't wait to go back!

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote