THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Big Tough Climbing Stands for Big Guys

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Tough Climbing Stands for Big Guys
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted
OK... Deer season will be here before we know it and I'm facing yet another season without a big, tough, climbing stand that will not only be reasonably safe but will feel safe enough that I can relax and actually enjoy swaying back and forth in a dang tree. boohoo

I'm a big guy with a double wide butt and am almost 54 years old and AFRAID of falling out of a tree stand. bawling sofa bawling

I've researched climbers and have come up with some possible candidates.

API GS Magnum Extreme

Summit Goliath X5

North Starr Tree Master S/S Magnum

Does anybody actually have any experience with any of these stands or a recommendation for a different one?

I need a BIG and STABLE climbing stand!!!

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On a farm where I hunt now the hunters leave up their ladder stands all year. They chain them to the trees. There must be four of them.

I have not climbed into one yet as I am getting a little leary of tree stands at my age but it looks a lot easier than a climbing stand.

There are some places where such a stand is not practical of course.

I have met hunters who have falled out of stands. The good news of course is that they were still talking but they did suffer severe injuries.

500 Lb. capacity

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I don't do the tree thing at all. Being over 250lbs. and carrying stuff with me-- I don't trust them either. Besides I don't like heights. I use a 5 gallon bucket with a padded lid in camo and I sit uder the tree instead of in it. Works well for me.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
I don't have the option of leaving any kind of stand in the woods... The stand thieves are incredibly thorough.

A climber is, sadly, my only option.

I don't trust them either and they scare the heck out of me... But our brush is so thick the the bucket approach isn't very effective.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll put in a vote for the Summit. Mine works pretty good. I do however, build 16 foot ladders out of treated 2x4's, takes 3 and I use deck screws to put them together. I have had some of them out upwards of 10 years now and they still work and look like new, and the Wisconsin weather is not easy on anything. I just carry a hang on in and put it up. They cost less than $25 apiece to build. I tie them to the tree with some rope and they are extremely quiet to climb and nobody has ever bothered one of them. Very stable too, I can climb them in the dark no problem. I cut the steps 16 inches long and put them 16 inches apart and anybody can climb them.

Posts: 231 | Location: Abbotsford, Wis. | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Cliffs3,

Interesting... Got plans?

$bob$

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ldhunter: Whichever you try, use a full body harness while climbing. I've never fallen with my API, but it's slipped while climbing a couple of times. On the Bowsite, most guys like either the Summit or Lone Wolf.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LDHunter,

I'm big (6'4", 240lbs), and I use a Summit stand (not a Goliath, though). It's pretty stable. I use a harness, but I'm still scared of falling asleep and falling out of the stand.

I'm afraid that if the wind blows, and you're in a skinny tree, you're going to be nervous.

Steve

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
JD and Steve,

Yeah.. Thanks for the input. The Summit owners all seem to be intensely happy and they talk about their stands a lot. beer

I'm probably going to end up with a Goliath which is just a Viper with a wider seat which suits me and my double wide butt and gut just fine. Big Grin

btw... Anyone looking to buy a Viper can get last year's model for a song on ebay... Search for Summit Viper. thumb

$bob$

one of us
posted Hide Post
LD, the plans are pretty simple. Cut one of the 2x4x16 TREATED boards into pieces 16 inches long.Makes 12. Then just measure from one end of the other 2 boards and put a mark every 16 inches and screw the 16 inch steps to the outside edge with the boards standing on edge like a real ladder. Just make a ladder with the steps on the outside. I usually make a v to attach to the top so it doesn't rock on the tree. Just tie the ladder to the tree with some rope and you are ready to go. The trouble with climbers, and I have a Lone Wolf and a Summit, is that there are damn few straight trees with no branches to climb. Then if you find one, there are no branches to hide you once you get up in the tree. Plus the fact, the good trees are never where the good runways are. This is why I use the ladders, plus I have some Lone Wolf hang on sticks and their hang on stand. The sticks are not for someone that is large or older, though. I didn't use them at all this year because I am not as agile as I was about 30 lbs ago. You will like the Summit, just make sure it is the new model with the stirrups for your feet. The old straps that you had to tighten on your boots by hand were impossible unless you were skinny and 20. Cold and 40? Forget it.

Posts: 231 | Location: Abbotsford, Wis. | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
OK... I checked and I can fit in the Viper just fine so I went to ebay and thought I'd see what kind of deal I could get.

They have X5 Vipers (this years model?)

They have Viper Ultras (?)

They have Viper Classics (?)

They have X4 Vipers.

Anyone have any idea what the differences are? Confused Roll Eyes Confused

$bob$

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using a Summit Viper the past two years and like it. I'm 6'-1" and 245. My previous 3 climbers in the past 18 years were other brands. Two were decent, one was garbage. Have been thinking of getting a Goliath for the comfort factor.

Summit's website @ www.summitstands.com
might have some info on the different Viper models.

Get the stirrups for easier climbing as Cliffs said. I added foam pipe insulation wrapped in cloth camo tape to cut down on noise in several places.
Sako

Posts: 81 | Location: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Guys = Summit Goliath. Great stand. Viper classic is steel other vipers are various options of aluminum stands. Viper is more than capable of handling your size. I have used this stand for two years and is the best climber I have used in the past 30 years sionce my old baker.

one of us
Picture of floridabigfish
posted Hide Post
LDH,

I bought the Summit Goliath year before last (hunted 2 seasons) and I really like it. Very comfortable, not too heavy, very stable. I've never scared myself while in this one. I'm 6'2" and 275 lbs. and have tried the Buckshot and the Viper. I added the plastic climbing stirrups and gun holder last season (standard on the new ones) and liked it even more.
Got it at Kevin's at not much more than having one shipped from a less expensive seller. You will like it.

Florida...where you have to go north to get south.

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
5'11" and 250 I hate to admit, and summit goliath is the deal. Really stable and easy to climb with. I will add that I have several Samson ladder stands from Summit and man are they nice. The biggest advantages I get with the ladder is the absolute silence getting into them and the fact that I don't work up a big lather climbing which then causes you to freeze your ass off when the dew settles in and the cool temps chill you down after you've been stil for 10 minutes or so. If a climber is your only option, the Summit Goliath is great.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDHunter:
Cliffs3,

Interesting... Got plans?

$bob$

[IMG][url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=223882&c=500&z=1"] [/url][/IMG]

Here is a pic of my tree stand with similar ladder to what Cliffs was talking about. The climber is only there because i used it while constructing the stand. But the ladder is made of 2 x 4's screwed to 2 x 6 x 16, secured with straps. It's better than nailing boards to the tree itself, because the tree will grow and loosen the nails. It was a lot of fun making it. Sort of like being a kid again and making a tree house, except this for serious business. I shot two deer from this particular stand Smiler For less work, just the ladder and a strap on stand, that should work real good.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup, looks just like my ladders. I do have some made from 2x6x16, too. They are a lot harder to move around, which is why I now use 2x4x16 boards. I can actuallly carry the 2x4 stands around if I want to move them. The 2x6 are too much for my 52 year old body to lug around without my ATV. I have actually moved them to a different location and shot deer out of them within a day or so of the move.

one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
Try:
JRH Sport Industries, Inc.
6550 State Road 16
St. Augustine, FL 32092
904-940-3381

I have had one of their tree stands for over five years and can't find anything more comfortable and sturdy. I push 235 and have no trouble whatsoever. They even have a heavier duty stand rated for 300# of the same configuration. They don't have a website, aren't your mainstream name, but I am telling you need to check them out. I wanted another climber this year but couldn't find anything that matched up to theirs. It is big, but we need it.

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I also have the Summit Goliath. I think it is the best climber I have ever owned. I would not consider any other, unless it was a permanent stand.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LD Hunter. This will sound out of place, but can you weld ? Do you have access to a 3/4" electrical conduit bender ? access to a drill press. Are you interested in building your own at a cost under $40 bucks If so, let me know. I have a design that I have been building for yrs (15)...its a climber, you can face the tree, face away from the tree. You can adjust width (I usually use 22" wide) and lenght(up to a point)....If all this is a yes. Weight, I have had 450 lbs (two of us and I was bouncing up a dn) on it and everything holds.

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Oki,

I appreciate it but I'm a Realtor and not much good at building things... I've bought a Summit Viper on ebay with a bunch of goodies included and will likely sell just the plain Viper, keep the goodies, and buy a Goliath.

$bob$