THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Suggest a good western deer outfitter ?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggest a good western deer outfitter ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After several years of do it yourself WY muley hunts with mediocre results, my buddies & I are considering dropping the coin for an outfitted deer hunt on private ground.

We know and understand WY licensing, etc. but are open minded to other states. Also open minded to whiteys or muleys. Just looking for a good hunting experience and high odds of success for better than average deer.

Any suggestions, based on first hand experience ?

Posts: 199 | Location: North Central Indiana | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Consider Jack Cassidy out of Colorado. Plenty of references. He can get you a decent mule deer or elk on the western slope, or a whopper mule deer (southeast Colorado). www.cassidyoutfitters.com or call him at 970 487 3378

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Utah:

Mike McFarlane of Big Dutch Outfitters

Jed Waymont of J&J Outfitters

Kim Bonnett of Bucks & Bulls Outfitters

Doyle Moss of Mossback Outfitters

All these guys will put you on good animals and allow for you to have a great hunt. They are all pricey. I don't have phone numbers, but you can find the info somewhere on the web. Good Luck and remember those mediocre results on a self guided hunt are worth as much as great results on a guided hunt. Nothing like doing it yourself.

There is also a guy in Colorado that scouts all summer and then gives you GPS coordinates of the deer he finds. It is cost effective and you do the hunt on your own. I don't have his info right now, but I can dig it up for you if you want to learn more.

Posts: 99 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
www.ishawooaoutfitters.com

Monte Horst is the NW Wyoming outfitter. They hunt the migration out of Yellowstone. It's a pack in hunt, a first rate operation.

The sucess rate is generally high, and if you time the migration right, I have personally seen a couple of 200" BC bucks come out of there.

Posts: 192 | Location: Norman, OK USA | Registered: 01 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Steiny,

I recommend Triple Three Outfitters in Buffalo.
This is a region C tag and a 100% chance of drawing. Get doe tags and a Pronghorn tag.
There pricing is in line with everyone elses and they do a good job.

ED

Posts: 174 | Location: U.S.A | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MGC:
In Utah:
Mike McFarlane of Big Dutch Outfitters
Jed Waymont of J&J Outfitters
Kim Bonnett of Bucks & Bulls Outfitters
Doyle Moss of Mossback Outfitters

... you can find the info somewhere on the web.

MGC, I did not get much joy from my Google on the above (eception "Bucks & Bulls"). I saw nothing really looking Utah outfitters on the other search strings. Any other information you might provide would be appreciated.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since you were doing it yourself before, I'm guessing you want to keep the price under control. The past couple years I've hunted in S.D. with Paul Teel. Go to www.huntfind.com and look up South Dakota hunts and select Whetstone Creek. He charges $1700 and you have about a 90% chance at a 140"+ deer. An excellent hunt for the money. Last year 3 of us shot a 145" or so 12pt, a 150" or so 9pt and a 130" range 8pt. This year 2 of us shot a 145" 10pt and a 115" non-typical 8pt. Chalk the 115" deer up to my inability to judge a running deer at 150yds with 10 minutes of shooting light left [Smile]

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
www.mossbackmulies.com - Doyle Moss, he is a nice enough guy to give you other ideas if he can't help you.

J&J - Jed Wayment (435)-336-4146

Big Dutch Outfitters - Mike MacFarlane (801)467-2003 (801)-430-1307

Bucks&Bulls - Kim Bonnett (801)-785-5050

I got their numbers out of the Utah Proclamation. All are pricey, but they do produce.

Posts: 99 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MGC/MHO/Steiny, as I've posted previously, I've hunted in Utah with Jed Wayment of J & J and with Mike McFarlane with Big Mountain Outfitters; they used to be partners in Big Dutch Outfitters, which no longer exists; I hunted in 2002 and this year at Big Mountain's primary ranch, the Big Mountain CWMU. It is pricey, but my business partner killed an approx. 215" 33" buck this year, and another 204" buck was killed there in the new late hunt, for which I am booked for 2004.
Jed with J & J also have several good CWMU's, and runs a good operation.

My buddies buck from this year will be in the Eastman's Mule Deer issue this spring, along with his dad's 181" 28" buck that I passed up (dumbass, I realize...) [Frown]

Feel free to email with more questions,

Regards,
Craig

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hunted with Mike Watkins www.tropiesplusoutfitters.com in 2001.Mike has hunts in MT, WY, and SD.

Posts: 310 | Location: middle tennesse | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MGC, Craig

Thanks a bunch for sharing the additional info. Much appreciated!

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote