Find
Notify
Tools

WHICH RIFLE? FACTORY OR CUSTOM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Folks,
I am finally graduating from college in the spring of 2002 and I plan on rewarding myself with a top of the line new rifle (something I have had to do without for 4 long years). Now the question is what kind of rig do I want. A factory model, semi custom, or full blown custom job.

Most of my hunting will be whitetail size critters but an elk will hopefully be on the agenda within the next couple of years.

What would you fellow hunters and rifle afficianados suggest. Be sure to include input on scopes and loads in your thinking too.
A couple of outfits that I am very interested in is the H-S Precision semi-production rifle in the 6.5-284 Norma( I think? this round would be adequate for elk) w/ a Leupold 2.5-10x Leupold LPS and I love the classic lines of the Dakota rifles. Maybe a Model 76 in .300 Dakota w/ a 4.5-14x Leupold LRF scope.
Thanks 4 the input,
and Good Shooting
HBB

Posts: 376 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Puddle>
posted
You didn't say what your upper $ limit is. Any .30 caliber will cover all your bases for a long time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What I like to do is buy factory then add stuff to make it a simi custom like new stock, triggers and so forth. You can really make your dollors go farther and still end up with a very nice rifle that perform as well as a full blown custom job.

Posts: 19437 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<dcan>
posted
I would buy a Rem 700 Titanium, scope of choice and take balance of funds and go on a hunting trip.

<Don G>
posted
hillbillybear,

Spend about a month looking for and talking to gunsmiths in your area, and on the internet, then decide. I think a custom Mauser (or M70 classic for +$300) working rifle with a Kreiger or Cutrifle barrel in an old-fashioned caliber like 30-06 is a VERY good place to start. I'm not talking about a $4000 rifle. You will be surprised at how reasonable they can get.

I am partial to a cut rifled barrel as they seem to be less picky about load and bullet than any others. But the Shilens, Harts, Pac-Nors, Douglass etc, are all yards better than the factory barrels.

You are likely to spend the cost of a custom barrel tinkering around trying to find a good load for a factory barrel.

Talk to (I know I'll leave somebody out - no offense) John Ricks, Craftsman, Duane, Bill Leeper, etc, on the Gunsmith forum before you leap.

I know the 30-06 does not sound sexy or modern, but it is still very hard to beat for an all-around North American rifle. I don't think you will regret getting it first.

Don

<Puddle>
posted
Imagine the rifle-o-meter ticking as the price increases; $500...$1000...$1500... As soon as you say ouch!! - that's the most you're willing to spend - for now. That'll determine how much gunsmith, barrel, scope, stock, etc. you can afford.

Thirty years ago I gulped and handed over ~$100 for my first .30-06 & Tasco scope. Today, the gunsmith is trueing & tuning a M70 classic action & trigger for me, attaching a Lilja stainless, fluted barrel and chambering it in a snug .30-06. Along with Tally rings and bases the whole thing gets sent off to be Tef-Coted in OD Green. It then will be bedded in a McMillan stock and topped with a VariX-III 2.5-8/Premier 4a reticle. Price for the whole shebang: ~$2500.

Ouch!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
As Puddle pointed out, I forgot to mention $$$. I would like to stay under $1500.00 if at all possible.
HBB

Posts: 376 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Puddle>
posted
Ok, in your shoes here's what I'd do:

Educate yourself on 'scopes, rings & bases then buy the very best you can afford. That setup can stay with you through many, many rifles. I suggest you start looking at Leupold.
I recommend you look at a .30 caliber from any of the Big 3 (Win, Rem, Ruger) which will cover all your hunting needs until you decide to get into the specialty game. If you buy from one of the Big 3 then down the road that rifle can be handed to a gunsmith for accurizing. Later still, that action can be the basis for your 'gotta have' custom rifle.
You should be able to do that plus get a heap 'o ammo for the money.

Just beware of the rifle-o-meter...

[This message has been edited by Puddle (edited 08-28-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
You want to stay under $1500, so that pretty well puts you out of the true Custom range...

I personally would buy one of the Ruger Safari models with quarter rib, barrel band front sight and Circasian walnut..That is a close to a true custom rifle as you will get...

Another option is to buy a m-70 and have it glassed, custom whatever..fix it up yourself.

But you have to remember I'm not a fan of plastic and stainless steel, guns that look like my wifes toaster or can openner.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
As Ray pointed out, your dollar limit takes you out of a true custom rig, those start around $2500 for a glass gun with all the goodies.
For the dollar figure you gave, I would buy a new M70 Super Grade and have it "touched up" by a top class 'smith. Do the works, lap the lugs, true the action, square the bolt face, etc and then have him bed the metal into the stock using pillars. I'd spend anything left over on the best scope that amount would buy.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Ol' Sarge>
posted
Kimber is making the Model 84 again.

------------------
To be old and wise.....first you have to be young and stupid!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the input. The posts concerning the "rifle-meter" are especially cogent to my search.
I also appreciate the reminder about Kimber. I had forgotten that they were back in the business
Good shooting
HBB

<Einar Kristj�n Haraldsson>
posted
Buy a Sako or Sig Sauer ore maybe even a Tikka.

Eropean rifles are simply better out of the box,
And you won�t need to customize them.

Zeiss, Svarvosky or Smide und Bender scopes and you have the best scopes on the market.

Einar Icelander.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
My $0.02. Spend $40 on a subscription to Gun-list. Wait until "your" custom rifle shows up at $0.30 on the $, and buy it. Used custom rifles are a dime a dozen, seems like, once you start looking. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
buy a remington 700 bdl, send me an email i send you the name of a gunsmith in texas, rebarrel, shilen barrel trigger job, chamber job, glaas bed, and bead blast that puts you about 1000-1100 since you can buy used rem 700 all day long for around 3-400 all day long maybe cheaper 1/2 groups guaranteed he has all the reamers i have 4 references about 20 diffrent rifles between us, save the other 400-500 for a leupold or kahles and your set, assuming you already reload

one of us
posted Hide Post
#1 Congrats on doing the four years time and getting your degree!
I have taken several rifles, two Sakos, a few Rem 700's and two Winchester CRF 70's and have made my own "semi" customs. I have a quality barrel installed at the weight and length appropriate for the useage of the rifle. Longer and fatter for a varmint or plains rifle, shorter, lighter for a woods/mountain gun. Have my smith blueprint the action, true it all up, adjust trigger, do the bedding properly, etc.Then by adding a few choice items like express sights, barrel band swivel, getting the checkering repointed or the pattern extended a few lines, Old English style butt pad, etc. You can really have a custom appearing rifle for a fraction of a true custom.
I did a current Winchester Sporter LT and after a Lilja barrel, express type fixed sight,barrel band swivel,deep matte bluing, recut checkering, and a black smooth butt pad, it looks great. Most rifle nuts that see it just HAVE to examine it and are amazed it was done as cheaply as it was, somewhere in the area of $800 above and beyond the base cost of the rifle.

There is no doubt about it that a true Custom from one of the premier makers will go up in value. But spending $3K-$4K for your neighborhood Smith or another "unknown" to build a rifle is IMHO a total waste of money. I really stay away from CUSTOM anything. I may just have been unlucky, I'm not the sharpest gun trader, BUT every time I do anything with the title "Custom" attached to it......I lose money.

My other $ .02 worth of wisdom concerns doing a deer rifle with the idea of maybe someday doing elk with it, so you end up with a .30 when you maybe wanted a .243 or .257, etc. I would build this rifle for what YOU want, worry about elk later. An elk hunt is a great excuse to buy another rifle, a great place for a SS/plastic gun anyway. Horses,scabbards and camp life are no place for a beautiful rifle. Thats what the PVC rifles are made for.

Good Luck........Frank N.

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for all the input and well wishes. My list is starting to narrow a bit and I now know more about various options.
On a different note, Our friend from Iceland has given me an idea for a whole new topic which I will have up soon.
Good Shooting
HBB

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd say get a bone stock factory rifle of your choice, and a good scope and mount. This will be a bit under your budget, but the savings can be applied to getting set up to re-load, or for a decent supply of factory ammo.

Before anyone should build a custom gun, they should start with a known quantity, ie factory gun, though I'd say have a competent smith tune the trigger, shoot and hunt with it for a few years, and at the end of that time, they will know exactly what they do and don't like with the factory rig, and can then have what they really want built. You will also be in the work force a few years, and can afford to get what you want as well.

I think there are two reasons you see many used customs on the market, #1 is that most folks don't budget enough money for the project, so don't get what they really want, and #2 is, they don't know exactly what they want to start out with, and by the time they learn what that is, they've forked out several $'s to find out what they got ain't it.

A true custom includes a stock built to fit you, and that alone would swallow your budget. Most folks never see the value in having this done, so just customize a rifle, but no matter how good the barrel blank, or how carefully its assembled, if the gun doesn't fit you, you are only getting a fraction of the performance available.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I second Dutch's suggestion, that is a good one if you want a custom rifle. Otherwise I'd suggest the Win/Ruger/Rem approach the others are. And like everyone else, I'd strongly suggest the '06. It really is a good and versatile cartridge.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
<Ozhunter>
posted
Something none else has suggested is looking around for a used custom in a suitable calibre.

I bought a very nice one recently in 35 whelen for next to nothing, FN M98 action polished and reblued with a douglas barrel and in a very nice walnut stock.

And Ray, don't you think the Ruger Safari Express is just a tad heavy. I think they are a really nice rifle, but the barrel profile seems very heavy for the calibre.
I love the magnum mauser action and the general quality of the rifle just the weight seems a tad excessive.
I think the Win 70 Classic Express is almost as nice, wood not up to the same standard but certainly cheaper as well.

<Wildcat>
posted
Well, i could help you find exactly what you want. but i do not want to type all of it. it would be worth your time to look for the book 'A Hunter's Rifle' by Clay Harvey. Its part of the NAHC Hunter's Information Series and it will take you through choices of manufacturers, actions, models, calibers, whats best for certain game and i believe scopes is covered too. it would be worth at least $50 worth of the money for oyur new gun to get this book. i advise you purchase it at all costs. it is informative, to the point, and the author puts it across in a slightly humorous, understandable way.

------------------
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed !!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have Clay Harvey's book if you want it, in practically new condition. Would let it go for $10.00. He covers all the good and bad points on almost every current rifle made, doesn't mince words or hold back either! A very good book for those selecting a new rifle. [Smile]

one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
If you have a gunsmith that you trust consider a good used rifle. Shops across the country always have used firearms that were taking in from casual shooters/hunters. Find something you like and get it checked out by a gunsmith.

Then spend money on a good quality scope.

You deserve to treat yourself after you graduate. You also don't need to get deep into dept right out of school.

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Everyone should treat themselves to a custom rifle once in their life. For my 1st rifle though, I think a good factory rig would be just right. If you change your mind or whatever, you don't take a financial beating.
Alas, $1500 including scope won't take you far these days. Ray has a good point, as usual, in a Ruger Safari in .30-06 W/ a Leup. VXIII in 2.5x8 in lever rings. You can go semi-custom. Look for a good used Win. M70 or Rem. M700, have it rebarreled (23" #2 or #3) & the stock refinished & new Pach. Dec. pad, same scope & like Frank N., add a couple of nice personal touches (inletted swivels, some color case hardening, etc.) & you have a semi-custom rifle for you. Yeh, you can go w/ a plastic stock, but only if you are really practically minded. [Big Grin]

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive been thinking about the same thing. I have four more terms left, and then i will graduate. I have two graduation presents in mind for myself, one is driftboat for fishing the local rivers around here for steelhead, i have wanted one for three years. The other is my first really nice rifle. I have put a lot of thought into this, its a way off, but i have done a lot of research already. Dad and I will have 8 preference points for a really good antelope hunt, so the first rifle is going to be an antelope rifle. I already have the 30.06 and 35 whelen for elk, so the caliber probably wont suit you for your choice, but for me it will be a deer/antelope/varmit rifle. The build-up could be applied to any caliber.

I want to build on a remington 700 action, its my top pick. I will pick up a beat up (not too bad) used rifle for the donor action and have it refinished in maybe teflon, not sure. Send it to pacnor and have the action tuned up, lugs squared, all the good stuff, and fitted with a new stainless 24" barrel chambered in 25-06. Install a new trigger, timney or rifle basix adjusted to ~2lbs. Pillar bed it in a new mcmillian stock adl configuration, probably a mountain rifle. New talley lightweight rings and a 4.5-14x40 varix3 scope. I like the idea of doing what i can do myself to the rifle instead of hireing it all done. Add a fancy paint job to the stock, and i dont see how this rifle could be beat for the money invested. Semi-custom, much of it put together by myself, and really sharp looking. Thats what id do.

Posts: 107 | Location: Tigard, Oregon USA | Registered: 02 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John S:
As Ray pointed out, your dollar limit takes you out of a true custom rig, those start around $2500 for a glass gun with all the goodies.
For the dollar figure you gave, I would buy a new M70 Super Grade and have it "touched up" by a top class 'smith. Do the works, lap the lugs, true the action, square the bolt face, etc and then have him bed the metal into the stock using pillars. I'd spend anything left over on the best scope that amount would buy.

I really like this idea (I love Winchesters though), Go this route, Top it with Zeiss Conquest 3.5X10X44 with Burris Signature rings and bases. Later down the road you can have a custom stock added when the money permits it and you'll have a rifle you'll want to keep for life. Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sako 75 Hunter in your choice of caliber: $850.

Burris Fullfield II 3-9X40: $190.

Talley rings: $120.

Turner M1907 sling: $50

Total spent: $1210

Problem solved.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Let's see 120 bucks on rings and 190 bucks on a scope? Seems to be a bit out of whack. Either go with cheaper rings or ger a good scope like a Leupold. jorge

PS: I'd go for a Mod 70 Supergrade, but I can "live" with that Tikka thing. [Smile]

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cz 550 american at $450; good rings at $50-75; leupold 6x42 at $300; go shooting. doesn't shoot good enough, bed the thing yourself for about $10. use the rest of your money to join a deer club for season. enjoy.

Posts: 298 | Location: birmingham, alabama | Registered: 28 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I second what both Einar Icelander & ksduckhunter say: GET A SAKO 75.
They come in all versions (see www.sako.fi). If you want a beautiful rifle have a look at the Deluxe. Add a good scope e.g. Leupold or Zeiss Conquest and start shooting.
Mine is a Sako Hunter in 280Remington. The scope is a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44. It shoots great, sub 1" groups with most ammo and 1/2" groups with some of my handloads.
280Remington

Posts: 20 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote