THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Firearms into Canada... Require an Export Permit???

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firearms into Canada... Require an Export Permit???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted
I knew about the $50 entry fee. However, on page 111 of a new Rifle Magazine publication I received, "Successful Hunter," the author states "... to bring a gun into Canada from the United States, I need an export permit from the State Department if it is a rifle, but from the Commerce Department if it is a shotgun."

Is this right???

I called the State Department and got the after-hours operator, who seemed to immediately know what I was talking about when I mentioned hunting in Canada and needing an export permit. She gave me the number for the Defense Trade Control office (within the State Department) and said I should call between 0815 and 1700 hours, Eastern Time.

I just ransacked the entire Internet and didn't find squat on U.S. citizens needing an export permit to bring their hunting rifles into Canada. If this is accurate, okay, but I can't find anything on what form (number) I need. If I'm still around next year, I've booked another bear hunt in Manitoba.

So, is this right? I need an export permit from the State Department?

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No,you don't need an export permit.I just flew back from Toronto on the 14th and had no problems coming or going. The Canadian form is all you need.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You only need the export permit (and an end-user certificate) to bring a firearm into Canada (or any other country) for sale. Courtesy of slick Willie, just before he left office. It has made things very difficult for us up here when we order things from the states. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay, thanks.

By the way, is Clinton still alive? Hasn't died from syphilis or something, yet?

<Ranger Dave>
posted
Russell,
Where are you hunting in Manitoba? I was moose hunting last weekend. I saw no moose but lots of black bears. I saw 4 within a hour.

one of us
posted Hide Post
just got back from Canada and what you need is to fill out a form--you can download it(you need 3 copies)--I need to find the site again and will post it---or you can fill it out at customs- you pay about $50 bones for 2 guns--remember NO handguns---that's all you need--I do suggest a passport for ID, because if you use your DL they will run a check on it and if you have any arrests they will either send you home or make you pay a bond(happened to my buddies Dad's friend last year)---that's it---chris

Posts: 304 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
here is the site for the form

www.cfc-ccaf.gc.ca/en/visitors/default.asp

and here is the form (JUS 909)this is good for 3 guns if you're bringing in more you need JUS 910 also--

www.cfc-ccaf.gc.ca/en/forms_assistance/PDFs/909.pdf

.....chris

Posts: 304 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ranger Dave: Around Thompson this time. Last time it was around Grand Rapids.

<gamecock>
posted
The fee is $50 Canadian, $35 US, and covers the firearms listed on your JUS 909. Cash, major credit cards, travellers checks and personal checks drawn on a Canadian bank are accepted. You should have your forms completed in triplicate, but unsigned, as Customs prefers you sign them in their presence. (Filling out the forms at the customs office can cause serious delays.) Made the trip both ways in last two weeks; customs inspectors on both sides courteous and efficient in Niagra Falls. It took about 12 - 15 minutes going over and 60 seconds coming back.

Quote from a Canadian inspector: "if you've got an attitude or lie then you have a problem." So I suspect that many of the horror stories we've heard are mostly self inflicted.

And, despite what the US news media would have us believe, the Canadian press and most of the citizens we talked too fully support us and our president.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Russell, the advice about the passport is good. You don't need it, but it's less hassle. I grew up in Thompson (for 10 years anyway), what are you hunting up there, bear and moose? Good luck whatever it is. - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan, I'm hunting bear.

I've been up that way before and had no problems at the border. I always download whatever I need from the Canadian government's website, have it filled out as completely as possible, pay my money at the border... and I've never had any problems. No muss, no fuss. It's just that the article with the comment about needing an export permit through me for a loop, but I now know the author wasn't quite explicit enough.

Provided I'm able to make it, I'm looking forward to the trip. Someday, perhaps I can get up that way for moose, too. I expect I'll die without ever getting drawn in Maine.

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Russel, all my early hunting trips were out of Thompson. I thought moose were the only game in the world. When I finally went south and hunted deer for the first time, I remember thinking "why all the fuss over such a little creature?". Little did I know I would become addicted. We used to follow the Burntwood river down to the fork and hunt moose there. beautiful country, and great fishing too. Good luck - Dan