New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reduced Velocity 308s
 Login/Join

posted
Hiya Guys:

Canuck here, for those ex-shooterstalk types.

Anybody with any real-life experience with reduced velocity 308 loads on whitetails? I've just found a really mild load that groups amazingly well. I'm launching Hornady 150 BTSP at about 2200-2250. It's solidly in the 30-30 class. Accuracy is scary: I'm talking all-the-holes-touching cloverleaves at 100.

My only concern is reliable expansion. Any body have any feedback?

Frozenny aka Canuck

Posts: 2 | Location: New York State | Registered: 02 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First off, Welcome Aboard!

quote:
Originally posted by frozenny:
...I'm launching Hornady 150 BTSP at about 2200-2250. It's solidly in the 30-30 class.

My only concern is reliable expansion...

Hey Frozenny, I've had good expansion with those exact bullets down to at least 1800fps, but it really depends on what it impacts with. I prefer a double shoulder shot, which does just fine.

But, you could switch to one of the more fragile bullet designs too. Lots of options including SSTs, B-Tips, Speer Boat Tails and Sierra GameKings. Of course, you could just go on and load bullets designed for the 30-30 in the first place - the good old Flat Nose 150grs from everyone.

I've found the Round Nose bullets from both Speer and Hornady to be exceptional performers inside 400yds. The 30cal Hornady 150gr RN is a 2-diameter design which helps achieve great accuracy and provides even lower pressure due to the reduced barrel contact.

Good luck with your Loads.

[ 09-02-2003, 18:13: Message edited by: Hot Core ]

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frozenny I've used the 130 Hornady spire pt in an old Sav 99 30-30.It works very well. Same load in a 308 would do about the same.Note Hornady makes 2 .308 cal 130 gr bullets. One is the varmit bullets for rifles the other is intended for pistols. Use the rifle bullet.I found 3031 works well

Posts: 2438 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frozenny,

What powder 'ya using for that reduced load?
Have you tried the Hornady 150 spire point (non-boattail)?

BigIron