New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: external frame backpack
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The guides I was with last month in the NWTs had nothing good to say about any of the gun holders made for backpacks. They particularly didn't like the one in the Cabelas catalog.

After hunting Canada I would have to say that I would not feel comfortable with my rifle tied back in any fashion if I suspected I was in grizzly country.

One of the guides in my camp was attacked last year by a grizzly as he and his hunter were climbing. The hunter was able to chamber a round, hit the bear as it charged, and injury to the guide was prevented.

As we were trekking through various terrain and brush I at times felt uncomfortable and would chamber a round as I sensed my reaction time being reduced if shit happened. The guide was not carrying a weapon. He was relying on me to back him up. If I had my rifle strapped to my backpack I wouldn't have been doing my job, in my opinion.

If I was hunting New Mexico, Texas, etc. with a pack I could see not having the rifle in my hands all the time as a plus, but not on a sheep hunt in Alaska or Canada.

Posts: 13816 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Twilli,

You might check out www.kifaru.net Kifaru packs are some the most comfortable I have ever tried. I don't personally own one, but I have tried them on and they are extremely comfortable and have the right features in the right places. Their name is also well respected.

You will pay around $200 for one, but they are worth it. They also have the gun sling feature you mentioned.

Check them out and good luck with the search for a ram.

Regards,

Autumn Pulse

Posts: 33 | Location: WA State | Registered: 30 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Twilli,

I sent you a PM

Posts: 33 | Location: WA State | Registered: 30 November 2003Reply With Quote