THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Need a favour in Portland Oregon, help out?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a favour in Portland Oregon, help out?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need someone to run an errand for me in Portland Oregon, if anyone here is willing, drop me a PM.
Thanks.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in portland. What do you need?

Posts: 10702 | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi, thanks for the quick reply, I sent you a PM, if you didn't recieve it let me know here and I'll try again.

What I need to someone to go pick up two scopes for me from a shipping agent who has them and won't move them anywhere because they do not want to have anything to do with what they define as "weapons parts"

Regards

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before anyone gets in trouble, fined or loss of any scopes to Customs, you might want to check export regs, exporting firearms and related accessories requires export permits, that's why the shipping agent won't ship them.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/gu...debook--complete.pdf

quote:
The Department of Commerce regulates the exportation of sporting shotguns, shotgun
parts, sporting shotgun ammunition, firearm-type accessories and certain parts (e.g.
sights, scopes, and mounts). For further information you should contact:
Bureau of Industry and Security
Export Counseling Division
Department of Commerce
19th Street & Pennsylvania Ave., NW Washington, DC 20230
(202) 482-4811 www.bis.doc.gov

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe that relates to commercial export of said articles.

The reason many of the online dealers, such as Bruno Shooters Supply, at least by their explanation of the situation was that they are required to pay for a very expensive licence in order to be able to sell internatinally.
However, it remains perfectly legal for a private Citizen to sell and post their second hand scope abroad.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell customs that, a member on another forum shipped a Remington 700 stock to Australia, US Customs seized it and he ended up loosing it rather than paying the fine.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/i...8882.0.html#lastPost

quote:
Is there a problem shipping a rifle stock to Australia ? I replaced a stock on my Remington 700 and thought I would sell it. I assumed everything went fine until I received a letter stating that it had been ceased by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. After looking the letter over it appears that out of the 5 possible reasons it could have been ceased, I hit them all. Now here is the kicker. The so called fines for these violations are at least $250. Or I can forfeit the stock and they will destroy it.

The real kicker here is that I sent it through the U.S.P.S. with full disclosure as to the contents. If they had no problem shipping it, what going on with Customs ? So my question is this. Has anyone else had this problem or am I just lucky.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
so what does thay say of the hundreds of people selling scopes, and stocks for that matter on ebay, offering worldwide shipping and the other dozens of scopes I have purchsed online from ebay over the years?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Recent changes to the ITAR are likely the reason they're cracking down on firearms related exports, I've shipped and received scopes and barrels to and from Canada with no problem several years ago, wouldn't try it now tho. All of the ebay optics I found that listed worldwide shipping were business sellers who probably have an export license.

http://pmddtc.state.gov/regula...s/itar_official.html

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok then wrongtaret, I'll have to look into it further. Thanks for the heads up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, I called the Bureau of Industry Security and was asked for a ECCN citation number of the articles I want to ship.
After consulting their commerce control list, available online as a PDF, using the search function, I was able to find that all optical/retical/holographical sights/scopes etc share the number 0A987.
These items do not require any licence for shipping to Italy, it is possible that this may not be the case for others countries, but I am ok in my situaiton.
So, if anyone is willing to run the errend for me, as I said I would be more than happy to provide a generous compensation.

Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Then it's just up to Customs (another government organization) to be on the same page, good luck. rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is true, and there could be hassle, however, no one is going to get into trouble, because the government agency that established the rules that customs are to enforce, allow these items to go to the country of destination without any licence.

It's a risk I'm going to have to take now that I am in for a Leupy Mk 4 and a Nightforce scope...

Next time, I'll buy here in the EU, pay more and worry less.

It's just so annoying that buying a scope at US retail prices, after paying international shipping, taxes on arrival, they still cost 40% less than the cheapest retailers here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So, is anybody willing to help me out here?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
express, i sent you email said i lived portland and would help got email back and havent anything more

Posts: 10702 | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Schrodingers' Cat, I sent you a PM as soon as i saw your post, but then never heard back from you??
Did you recieve my PM?

my email address is:

azelapids at Hotmail.com

Thanks!

(Edited because I got my PMs mixed up)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just to close the story, an AR member contacted me and offered to go and pick up the scopes.

I called the company to ask if it would be ok for me to send the release they wanted via email, because I had no access to a fax (for the signature), and they told me that they would no longer consider releasing the goods. This as you can imagine, left me with very few options...

Since my new found friend was already in the vicinity he said he would go and talk to them anyway.

Well, after explaining, in his own words, (which I wish I could have heard) that what they are now doing is illegal, and that he would report them to the ATF or whatever the relevant authority is, they made the decision to ship my scopes.

I provided them with the Bureau of Industry Security security information also posted here so they could confirm for themselves that there is no trade restriction between Italy and the United States on these items, and the very same day I got a Fed Ex tracking number!

I am forever grateful for the unexpected help I recieved but I thihnk I will be buying scopes from this side of the pond from now on.

I am still yet to actuallyrecieve the goods, but they have landed in Italy and after going through customs and decided how much tax I should pay, they should turn up early next week.

All the best!

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
There are still good people out there! tu2

Glad to hear you got it resolved.

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any luck Mate?

I told them that I better not have to come back or else!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey mate,

I sent you an email but it looks like it didn't make it to you. At the time I was running off my phone because I was away for work.

Yep, all is great. The package got here two days ahead of schedule, and it was here just a few days later! Everything was in there, as hoped.

I can't thank you enough, and if you would please let me know what you need to find out about the drahthaars, the breeder and sending dogs over I am only too happy to try and return your kindness.

Suffices to say I won’t be using reship for this kind of gear anymore.

All the best,

one of us
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
A couple of weeks ago i tried to buy a Leupold illuminated scope from Optics Plannet but they declined saying Leupold have restriction but they could sell me a Nikon!

Go figure!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11248 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote