New
Find
Notify
Tools

A New Orleans Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there a regional plan to help Southern hunters donate pork and venison to feed the American refugees of New Orleans? With large bag limits, long seasons and a boatload of refugees it kind of makes sense.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably not possible with any gov't programs as the meat is not USDA inspected.

Idaho Shooter

Posts: 273 | Location: West Central Idaho | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
okie,

I have not heard of any plans yet but, I sure wish there was one. I'd be willing to give two packaged deer that I have in my freezer right now.

I know around here there is a "wild game meat for the Hungry" type of charity where you donate the entire deer but, that's during rifle season so, I don't know who to ask at this time of the year.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Georgia and Alabama have donation programs, don't know about LA. Try contacting the F&G folks for the respective states.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. The city of New Orleans will get its aid soon enough, but a wave of refugees is spreading out from there, and they're gonna need help, too -- my mother spent the weekend ferring refugees around Texas and north Louisiana in her big ol' Ford sedan.

Reloader, are you near Shreveport?

thanks,

Okie John

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Shooter:
Probably not possible with any gov't programs as the meat is not USDA inspected.

I'm trying to put together somthing private/local -- we know how much use the gubmint is right now.

Okie John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Safari club originated the Sportsman Against Hunger Program about 20 years ago. Most of the Chapters participate to the tune of around 1/2 million pounds a year.

Call SCI at 520 620 1220 and ask who to get in touch with. I know they are also asking members to contribute to a fund to help the F&G Departments in LA, MS, AL and FL. offset expenses for search and rescue.

Most local Salvation Army posts will know who to donate to if they don't have refrigeration themselves.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sittin' Downtown in the Federal Court House as we speak.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me know what where when. I will even help take care of looters. I want eight points or better.
looters need a long drop and short rope. Getting food is not looting stealing big screen tvs and beer is looting.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
quote:

Sittin' Downtown in the Federal Court House as we speak.
Reloader

Wonderful. My grandfather bought jagdterriers from Doc and Amos Britton just around the corner from you. In a day or so I'll have a home for any extra venision you have lying around.

Okie John