New
Find
Notify
Tools

.410 slugs
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking for ballistics info on .410 slugs. I haven't had much success on the web, but I don't know if I am looking in the right places or not. Has any one here used the .410 bore on big game? This subject is brought up frequently in conversations in my area, since we are not allowed to use .410 slugs in Iowa for deer. All I have ever heard for reasons, really has been conjecture, I have never heard any real concrete reasons.

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi
I do have a m6 scout combination gun 22lr/ 410 and have done a couple of chrono measuring 1-rem slug1/5 onz and 2-federal 1/4 onze and this is the results:
rem from 18 inch bbl 535 msx 3,282 =1755 fps
fed same 503 m/sX 3,281=1657 fps
the later had edge in penetration. at30 meters i tried them on wood remington went 4� inch and fed eral over 6 inch! but rem shoots tighter 3 shot 2-3 inches at 35 meters and fedral 2�-4 inches. using them on deer it would be only in survival situation and at less then 40 yds, i beleive they can dispatch a deer with a good shot on chest or neck shot.
regards
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Gunnut45/454>
posted
375hnh
Probably why you can't find much on the .410 with slugs is that the use of the slug in 410 is outlawed for use for big game in most if not all states for what ever reason!? Some places you can't even use slugs-Buckshot only! I personnaly have never used slugs in a 410- enough power would be a question? Probably be all right for small southern deer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
About the only use I've ever heard of for 410 slugs, is for getting snapping turtles when a pond first freezes. They'll be just under the ice, and you shoot them with a 410 slug, chop the ice around the turtle, reach in and grab them by the tail to pull them out. Now we use a sharpened 1/2" dia X 4' long rebar rod for that job.

The "standard" 2 1/2" load is 1/5 ounce slug at 1815 fps (~650 ft-lbs).

Regards, Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go here http://www.treelounge.com/Photo_gallery.htm look at the last line of pictures the first on the left of a young boy in orange cammo pants. That picture is in the Tree Lounge catalog with the story. If I remenber correctly 170+ BC, 250+LBS killed in IL with a .410 shotgun using slugs was the boy's first ever deer. At bow ranges from a treestand (which is my handgun hunting setup) a .410 slug will kill as well as a .357. Back in the wild kill anything anytime days of South Louisianna I ate , deer, gator, bear that had been killed with a .410 slug. The men who did this were hunters in every sense of the term, too bad they were poaching mostly. [Frown]

Posts: 218 | Location: Sand Hills of NC | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My dad has an old 410/22 over and under and he has killed several deer with it, I hunted with it when I was little but never got the chance to shoot a deer with it. But it worked a few times for my dad, I do know that he never lost one.

Posts: 28 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only use I have seen for 410 slugs
is killing sharks pulled up fishing on the reef.

An old guy at out range claims to have used them for culling water buffalo with head shots from a vehicle.Low enough recoil so you can reach out the window with one hand and put it right to the buffs head.

Not much help for your purposes sorry [Smile]

Karl.

Posts: 3533 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't hold them in high esteem myself. They should trade some velocity for weight in my opinion. Shot a hog in the shoulder with one once. Dead hog but the slug blew up, making a 4-5" crater which included part of a lung and the spine. Bigger pig and I'd still be up a tree. [Frown]

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can use them on deer in Ohio, I know an old fellow that gets his deer almost every year. He uses a cylinder bore pump gun. and he will tell you he doesn't shoot far.

Posts: 49 | Location: Lisbon, Oh. USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I'm told the June issue of GUNS magazine has/had an artical on slugs? I didn't read it, but what I gatherd from those who did... RWS slugs good... US made slugs, not so good.

Posts: 723 | Location: Ny | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote