THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: A "Doe Shoot"; have any of you ever been on on

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: A "Doe Shoot"; have any of you ever been on on
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted
That sounds like a doe shoot well beyond the scope of the one I have in mind! One of the plantations here killed 100 in 3 days last summer (much of that at night--you can get permits from the state if your crop damage is severe), but other than that I've never heard of so many being taken in such a short period. That said, I do think it might better to try and take as many as you can in short period rather than to drag out your doe reduction throughout your season.
There was s study mentioned in QDMA a couple of years ago where a biologist was making the case that you should take out the bulk of your does before rut. He said that it would make the bucks more active during rut with fewer does available. That makes sense to me, but I've never taken that approach to my herd management as I've feared that so much shooting early in the season might make my deer more nocturnal. As it is, most of my deer hardly even realize deer season is in full swing and I see deer throughout the day long after many area hunters complain of seeing few.
I'm sure there are merits to both approaches and we all try to do what we think is best.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
In a couple of weeks I'm thinking about having a Doe Shoot (as compared to a dove shoot) at my farm. My farm has an abundance of deer and I want to reduce the number of does. In an effort to do this all at once, rather than just blast away around the place over a period of weeks, I'm thinking a doe shoot might be the answer. I went on one at a friend's farm years ago and we had a good time. It works like this: Invite about 10 or so people to the farm and let them draw for stands. Each hunter puts up $20-$40 and whoever kills the most does gets all the money.

Killing does is such a pain and can ruin an otherwise great hunt for a quality buck. Many hunters don't care to do it. Think this might be a good way to make it a bit more fun??

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
As long as the hunters can tell the difference between a doe and a button buck!

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
That sort of describes my opening weekend down here...4 guys, 900+ acres, 12 does, 4 full freezers. It is fun, except for spending all Saturday afternoon boning out deer meat!

The ranch had a population problem too, with the season objective of reducing the herd by 40+ does...

Just find a use for the meat and I am all for it! Many processors will give you a deal on processing fees and donate the meat to a good charity. I would go for it....especially if I had tags to spare!

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
You are exactly right. I had already planned to give the hunters a lesson in how to make that distinction. As we know, just because it doesn't have antlers, doesn't mean it's a doe. It's a mistake that is easy to make if you don't hunt a lot. Those young bucks have short faces, as compared to the long ones a doe will always have. Some people see a bunch of antlerless deer, assume they're all does, and then decide to shoot the bigger of what they see. What that deer frequently is, especially late in the season, is a yearling buck. Most yearling bucks are wandering around without their moms during rut (right now). But in January that isn't necessarily the case. A "doe" that is alone should always get a careful look before it gets shot.... As for my doe shoot, I may have a rule that if someone does shoot a doe, there may be some sort of consequence, such as forfeiting the winnings, or something like. Have any other suggestions?

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
CDH,
In Georgia each hunter can shoot 10 does per year, and the monitoring of that is voluntary. Basically the state gave up trying to keep track of that sort of thing when they quit giving out tags and the requirement that something had to be attached to each animal taken.

one of us
posted Hide Post
id be up for it. but im way up in Saskatchewan. how about something for the doe with the longest ears or some thing. we do that once and a while with the mule deer does.

sounds like a great time with good people.

Posts: 159 | Location: Saskatchewan  | Registered: 14 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am going to one down in texas next week. Not a competition, but we have 3 days to kill 120 does between three of us. Should be a blast!