New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Elk hunting in New Mexico
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
That's a crummy place to hunt elk. If you've never done it before, you'll waste your time. Your rifle simply isn't good enough for elk hunting....just have your friend call me and I'll tell you how things turned out....

Seriously...the 264 Win Mag is a fine elk rifle...especially since you already shoot it and are intimate with it...much better than any 300 Magnum that you don't own, haven't shot, and might develop a flinch trying to sort out the recoil...

Good luck and if you get to Capitan NM some morning I can highly recommend the breakfast burrito at the Smoky Bear Restaurant...just stay upwind of game the rest of the day

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, that .264 Pre-70 will do the job just fine. You didn't list your 'scope, but will assume you have a good one.

I have two suggestions. First, I'd use the Nosler Partition 140 gr., as I have found them to be a bit tougher in my .280 Rem., .308 Win., and .338 Mag., than the Interlock Hornady bullets, especially at high velocity and up close to an animal... which can happen.

Secondly, be in as good shape as possible.

Other than that, have a good time and good luck. We'll expect lots of pictures!

L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is nothing missing from your equation. The 6.5x55 is used in the Nordic countries to drop moose. Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement.

Posts: 202 | Location: Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA | Registered: 18 February 2001Reply With Quote