THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    ?? for Georgia/Alabama/far north Florida hunters

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

?? for Georgia/Alabama/far north Florida hunters
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
can y'all describe to me what it is like hunting in your area? My wife is itchin to move closer to family and I've never hunted outside the state of Texas. Here in Texas, 97% of the hunting land is private, which means you pay out the arse to hunt--not uncommon for a season lease to be 300-12/1500 acres and cost $800-$1500/gun plus the land owners family gets hunt rights. There are also the $3000 for a 3 day guided hunt and even $5000 for 5 days with sometimes a kill fee based on the buck B&C measurements. on the lower end, if you look hard enough you can find a day lease $100/day-no kill fee etc, but if you are not there on the first 2 weeks you might not see a thing because the deer turned nocturnal!
Much of the hunting is in tripods or other stands, usually sitting over corn feeders or crop fields or along fence lines, pipe lines, roads, or clear cuts-occasionally you will find a day lease where the owner will let you stalk, but most of them want you rearend in the stand due to liability reasons...
At the right itme of year and in places where the buck/doe ratio is right, you can rattle 'em in which is a LOT OF FUN!! The limits out here will range from 1 buck only counties to some 1 buck 2 doe counties and some places allow 2 bucks and 3 does-all this is "all season combined meaning it includes archery season-or season go from October to November archery only then November to Jan 3rd or 15th depending on you location being gun season, but you can still use archery equip during gun season if you like. Folks out here are VERY protective of their hunting lands...what I mean by that is I understand in some parts of the country a land owner who is used to hunting his neighbors land for the past 30 years will feel like it is right to do so even if that land changes ownership--here in Texas that will get you shot! I also understand that some parts of the country have "hunting clubs" where 50 people join and they hunt 300 acres--way too crowded for me!! and some folks also chase deer down with dogs--not my thing.

So what is it like in Georgia, Alabama, and FAR north Florida (panhandle)?

Thank you

David

one of us
posted Hide Post
David, In GA there are many WMA's and national forest lands to hunt.Lease's can vary greatly in price.There are a lot of deer and a lot of hunters,the bag limit was increased a few years ago for better buck/doe ratios. Come join us you might even like hickory better than mesquite. Rug

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote