New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gave all my stuff away
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I saw a real sad thing mule deer hunting in Nevada. I was glassing some canyons when a father and two sons came along. No water, no binoculars, and no slings. They complained about there not being any deer in the area, however I had been watching 3 separate groups of deer in the canyons I was watching. At first I though the old man was just a jerk and was trying to make his kids hate hunting, but the truth was they were on a shoe string budget and were doing the best they could. I gave one of the kids my binoculars and pointed him in the general direction of one of the herds of deer. The poor kid almost fainted when he "found" the deer. I walked them thru the stalk and the kid killed his first buck. Hell, I haven't been that excited since my kids were born. After we got his deer packed out, they stopped by my camp. I gave them a two quart canteen, a great old pair of Hensoldt binoculars, and slings for their rifles. I tried not to embarrass the father but told him someone once helped me out when I first started hunting (a little lie). Two days later I found a note at my camp and it seems, they all got deer, thanks to the binoculars. I sure hope it's a couple of more years before I find another group of, like John Wayne would say, "pilgrims."

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job, Tom. Makes a guy feel good doesn't it? Especially around the Holidays.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
It's a rare thing in today's world to see that kind of generosity on the part of a stranger. The good thing is that you've probably made that youngster a hunter for life, and what a fraternity he has joined because of you!

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And just think, because of the way you treated them i am sure that when they have an opportunity to help somebody they will. Hopefully the brotherhood will grow. And those are the kind of hunters we want more of, the considerate ones.

Thanks for what you did for them.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
It's a rare thing in today's world to see that kind of generosity on the part of a stranger. The good thing is that you've probably made that youngster a hunter for life, and what a fraternity he has joined because of you!

I would agree that it is rare to see OUTSIDE the world of hunting and fishing. I'm sure we've all been helped along to some degree by either a mentor or a complete stranger.

Good job.

Posts: 64 | Location: Bham, Al | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WELL DONE!

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Badboyz
posted Hide Post
You sir, are a class act. I just went back and read your profile. Might also give the youngsters a respect for the occupation as well.

[ 11-26-2003, 01:59: Message edited by: Badboyz ]

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Man, you set a high standard! I thought I was doing well this weekend. I went out to harrass some Huns I keep stashed away in a canyon pretty close to town, when I ran into a fellow hunter. Long story short, the fellow was new to the area, and looking for a place to hunt. I invited him along, showed him the property lines, explained the Idaho tresspass law. Even showed him some sharptails, and talked about the RMEF purchase of the elk winter range close by. We even got a couple of rabbits! Who knows, maybe next time, he'll take a kid?

Either way, good on you! One day, I'll do you one better. Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Tom and Dutch, "THANK YOU!"

Had to deal with a rather depressing situation today which had me in a fairly bad mood. Then I read your two posts and they even made me feel better knowing you two are out there trying to help the folks that need it the most.

Brought a smile to my face and it sure needed it.

Good luck and best wishes to both of you.

[ 11-26-2003, 02:45: Message edited by: Hot Core ]

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
Tom,
That father will remember you forever, and his sons will have you to thank for the memories.

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
Great story...nice guy you are. [Smile]

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kudo's, hacksaw, you just earned your place in heaven! [Cool]

Posts: 78 | Location: In the woods of PA. | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hacksaw,

You do us proud, Sir!!!!

Well Done. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice work Tom, that's a great story; by the way, I'm going hunting in Nevada next month without my rifle, can you meet me at my camp? [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

kidding of course...
Regards,
Craig

[ 11-26-2003, 03:45: Message edited by: Craig Nolan ]

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the kind words, but I guess we all remember when we started out hunting. I remember using blankets because we didn't have sleeping bags, uninsulate boots, and $9.95 binoculars partly because we couldn't afford better or just didn't know better.

Kids are the future of hunting and if we are to continue our sport, it has to grow. Some of the guys I work with don't take their kids hunting. My daughters go hunting with me and yes, I spoil them. Port-a-potty, a folding bed, a potable shower and I let them drive on dirt roads. They love it! Right now I take about 5 other kids along with my daughters hunting. One guy's kid looked like a rap star gangster until he caught his saggin' pants on some barbed wire and ripped the crotch out of his ganster pants. He was getting F's on his report card, struggling for D's until I took him dove hunting. The kid now gets B's, is dressing like a civilized human being and is working to buy his first shotgun. We know what hunting is and just have to expand out team, which means taking left footed bustards to the field, choking back our impatience, and sharing what we have. God bless all.

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Hacksaw,

I'm a firm believer in helping out your fellow man. They rarely repay the favor and some don't even seem to appreciate it. But the self satisfaction and feeling of well being lasts and lasts.

Keep up the good work and God Bless.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hacksaw, Wonderful post! You have my deepest admiration for a job well done. Happy Thanksgiving! Mike

Posts: 918 | Location: USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hacksaw,

WHAT GOES AROUND, COMES AROUND. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] :

Have a great holiday.
Tony

Posts: 132 | Location: Anacortes WA | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Hacksaw, that was a wonderful thing you did. Next time I talk to Capt. Tom Lozich, I'll tell him about your extreme benevolence. I am sure he will appreciate knowing that. FWIW,I went to the FBI National Academy with Tom and Capt. Bob Vadasy from Henderson P.D. Dr. Lou

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What a great and noble deed! Rare these days to hear such a heartwarming story.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A very rare individual you are, I'm proud to be a hunter as well and hope some day to be able to do the same. You are inspiring...

Posts: 116 | Location: Juneau, Alaska, U.S.A. | Registered: 25 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good move man!
I just do NOT understand people who don't take their kids hunting. They are generally the once-a-year hunters who just act like the hunting trip is like some business trip where they leave for a week in November and only discuss it with friends. I think it is the greatest disservice you can do your children.

Posts: 2360 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That was really a nice thing to do.

Posts: 258 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland US of A | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Such a delightful story! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Boghossian:
Good move man!
I just do NOT understand people who don't take their kids hunting. They are generally the once-a-year hunters who just act like the hunting trip is like some business trip where they leave for a week in November and only discuss it with friends.

I agree, or (not uncommon) they regard the hunting trip as a good opportunity to soak with the buddies and care more for the whisky than the hunting.

[ 11-27-2003, 01:25: Message edited by: Marterius ]

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My hat is off to you. You show a wonderful attitude, I am sure they kindness will be repaid many times over. If anything just the thought of them getting a leg up on this sport.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Stryker225
posted Hide Post
I'm going to save up some cash and go get my first deer next year. This comforts me.

Thanks.

Posts: 1282 | Location: here | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hacksawtom,

You are a true gentleman! Thanks for the uplifting story.

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
Well done to both of you. Actions like that do more for our sport than a month of magazine ads.

Similarly, my dad is letting a friend of mine "borrow until not needed" a Ruger RSI .308 so he and I can hunt.

[ 11-27-2003, 18:52: Message edited by: JLHeard ]

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I applaud you for your kind generosity that you showed this family. You probable made the young ones hunters for life. Way to go

Brian

Posts: 119 | Location: NJ | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very moving stories! If everybody just behaved a little more like this, the world would be a better place.

I use to take my kids hunting once in a while, even though sitting still for longer than 2 hours is still a chore. It is good for them and very rewarding for a parent. One of the biggest bucks so far I spotted when hunting with my daughter one evening. It still took me more than 6 weeks to get him.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I admire you Hacksawtom,

I did a similar thing this year, by loaning a friend's son a rifle and ammo. Can't wait to hear if they get one.

While mulie hunting, I also loaned my rifle to another friend's son who was having trouble with his. I was tagged out, and was ther to see the boy get his deer.

<WyomingSwede>
posted
Great post and a job well done...I took two of our younger generation out with me this year. Both got bucks, took part in the hunt preparation and clean up and butchering afterwards. They have an appreciation of why we went, how to do it, and a new appreciation for that majestic species...the mighty whitetail.
Add to the tradition...I am sure that these memories will go on for years. Now I am sure that they know why I go to the range so often.

swede

one of us
posted Hide Post
hacksawtom - Well done, sir. Many of us "talk the talk", but you "walk the walk". Truly am awe-inspiring story.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Tom,

Youve done far more than help them achieve a successfull hunt, you gave them a taste of good old fashioned humanity and decency that is sure to stick in their minds for a long time to come, and youve inspired the rest of us to do likewise as well. Bravo! and a happy thanksgiving to you and yours.. [Wink]

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hacksaw;

many could learn from u.

i salute u.

cold zero [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hacksaw, what a great guy you are! That was a very nice thing you did. I suspect you will have made a life long impression on all of them, and certainly alot of us here. What you did is something to be very proud of!

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Hacksaw, way to go! We should all learn from your generosity. Maybe by doing so and setting the example to others we will realize better times hunting ourselves.

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom that is what hunting is all about! Thank you man! God bless ya to. Give more take less!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote