New
Find
Notify
Tools

Airline dilemma-2 questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My son and I are going on a bear hunt, in Idaho, the 1st week of Sept. We have had our airline tickets since April. We were going from Indy to Salt Lake to Boise, with an easy plane change in Salt Lake. DELTA has now informed us that they have changed the itinerary. Now it is Indy to Cinncinnatti to Salt Lake to Boise, with 2 plane changes, one only 45 minutes. My son informs me the tickets are non-refundable Frowner I still think we can get a refund, and change airlines, since they changed the itinerary, but in case we can't, my 2 questions.

Can I send my firearms TO MYSELF care of the outfitter. Also, can I overnite the bear hides[frozen, in good coolers] back to my taxidermist? This way we could carry our clothes as carryon in the plane. Any thoughts or input appreciated, because I am just trying to avoid a disaster for me and my son, and not be stressed out about guns and hides on vacation. Thanks.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Delta had the change. You are allowed a new itin or a full refund.
This ia a IATA rule. Call the airline and ask for a supervisor, if the agent doesn't understand.

+++++++++

There is a Delta flight from IND to ATl to BOI but you might go the night before it is a afternoon flight....
or IND ORD BOI in the am
Ask Delta about these options.....

++++
IF you take a refund look at these airlines...
US Air through DEN and United throught ORD to BOI am flights

Hope this helps

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9500 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I still think we can get a refund, and change airlines, since they changed the itinerary,

Don't count on it. I bet if you read the small print somewhere, that Delta is covered. They are still providing the service, which is to deliver you from Indy to Boise....

quote:
Can I send my firearms TO MYSELF care of the outfitter.

Yes you can, but make sure that you inform the outfitter in advance, and tell him do not open the package until you are there. Otherwise, according to the regs, you have shipped it to him personally, a no-no.

quote:
Also, can I overnite the bear hides[frozen, in good coolers] back to my taxidermist?

I don't think you can. Most of the shippers have a clause about perishables, and your bear hide would be that if it took any delay along the way. If you somehow do get them to take it, and it is thawed when you get it, it will be ruined, and don't count on them doing anything about it.

I'd check out www.fedex.com or www.usps.com (or as a LAST resort, www.ups.com, but only if you don't much care about when or what condition your hide arrives in...).

Good luck!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oops, I see Kathi (who knows more than me I'm sure), has posted while I was writing. I hope that she's right and not me. I just hate it when I'm wrong... Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe consider a local taxidermist,then have them ship the finished product. I am sure there are lots of good taxidemrists there. It might advert a disaster. I wouldn't think the price would very much, either.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Even if you stuck with the airline you're on, you might not even get off the plane in Cinci. It may just be a stop over. That happens a lot between Dayton, Cincinnati, Indy, Louiville, and Columbus, where Cinci is the stop over.

Flesh and salt your own hides, then travel is no big deal.

regarding the refund, that is going to be tricky. I hope for your sake, Kathi is right.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Bore is correcct. You can ship your guns to yourself. His caution about the outfitter NOT opening the package is also correct.
Is your outfitter going to flesh the hides? If so, I'd have him salt them and then ship. They have to be salted before tanning anyway. A salted hide will keep for years.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe consider a local taxidermist,then have them ship the finished product. I am sure there are lots of good taxidemrists there. It might advert a disaster. I wouldn't think the price would very much, either.

Mad Dod

Stick with your own taxidermist. Give him a call, let him know what you want to do, he should be able to advise you. You may be opening up "new" problems by not using your guy!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mad Dog

Kathi answered your airline question.

Cold Bore is spot on about shipping rifles to yourself C/O your outfitter. I've done it!

I've also shipped bear skins, horns, capes, skulls via FedEx and UPS with no problem. A little spendie but sometimes it is the way to go.

Have a good hunt!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote