New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woodleigh bullets?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have any experience using Woodleigh bullets on big game especially black bear? I just bought a bag of 250 grain protected point for my 340 weatherby that I intend on using on blacks in B.C. Canada.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the 300 gr Protected Points in 375 on black bear a couple times. They worked just like you would expect one of the world's best bullets to work. These things are great bullets and are about all I use anymore. I've used then in .284, .375 and .408 calibers. They are accurate and quite devastating on game.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
I used Woodleigh .375" 300-grain Protected Points at 2320 fps on a range of African game from bushbuck up to eland and it worked fine on all of them. Your .338" 250s should be more than sufficient for black bear, but I wouldn't push for maximum velocity out of your .340 Weatherby. Woodleigh's bullet table shows that they're designed for 1800-2500 fps, and if this were my choice, I would be conservative and run them at 2350-2400 fps.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
What exactly is it about these bullets that makes them a "premium" bullet? We all know what the specifics are about other premiums that make them do their stuff, but no specifics on these mystery shrowded and spendy slugs. Are they supposed to be a bonded bullet? Something special about the jackets? Whats the deal??

Anyone can make a bullet and call it a premium without giving any details, so how about it. Can anyone say something more about Woodleighs besides "they really work good"??

Posts: 10168 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Maximum retained weight is obtained by fusing the pure lead to the gilding metal jacket, hence the name "Weldcore".

Thats from there sight.I get all confused when it comes to Bonded-Fused and Annealed.Of course there are the Premium Bonded we all know about and then the fused ones like Weldcore and Speers Unicore and then there is the Hawk that is Annealed.All good bullets with a different approach to success.With the Hawk you can pick the jacket thickness but with the others you get what you see.Then the North Forks copper and lead which works great and of course all copper like Barnes X-Bullet.There all good but hard to keep them straight in my mind anyway so I just use the old Nosler Partition for all my hunting.If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Just my opinion.Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I've used Woodleigh SP & PSP on African game for some years and found them to be the very best. I use the SP on all plains game, Lion & Leopard which need a fast expanding bullet and the PSP on Buffalo which need a deeper penetrating round.......Although I don't know anything at all about bear hunting, I would have thought that you would need a bullet that expands reasonably quickly rather than a slow expanding, deep penetrating bullet..... in which case the SP would probably be a better bet that the PSP.

But having said that, I've never even seen a bear in the wild, so I look forward to reading the comments of those of you who have hunted them.......and I'm open to offers for the chance of taking one

one of us
posted Hide Post
Woodleighs have very heavy jackets and are bonded core, so the lead core cannot separate from the jacket. If a jacketed bullet comes apart it loses a significant amount of weight and it's penetration capabilities plummet. About 90% retained weight is what they're known for.

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post

The 2nd from the left is a 500 grain Woodleigh Weldcore. Weight as shown is 378 gains. The bullet was removed from a Buffalo shot through the shoulder and lodged under skin on off shoulder.

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot 2 elk and kudu with Woodleigh in which the performance was excellent. I shot another elk with a Woodleigh that was too hard for elk so it did not expand.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last week I fired a 550 grain sp, 2070fps, out of my 458 lott through a 7 inch oak backed by a semi rotten but waterlogged pine log 14 inches. It was recovered in the dirt back stop 6 inches deep.
The bullet had mushroomed completely around itself and was now 80 caliber. It lost about 54 grains. Retaining about 90% of its weight.
Impressive bullet and accurate.

Posts: 333 | Location: Columbus GA | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used that very projectile to clobber a blackie or two and will tell you that you will probably never recover one. No problem there. It simply works! And as for falling in lockstep with the others, it has been one of the most consistantly accurate projectiles I have ever fired from my Win Mag. I would use it on anything...and happily!

best,
bhtr

Posts: 223 | Location: Soldotna, Alaska | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woodleigh 220 gr .308" round nose recovered from Red Hartebeest (South Africa 2002). .30-06 handload with muzzle velocity of 2460 fps. Recovered bullet is from the second, finisher shot fired from about 10 yards. First shot was a pass through and put the animal down. As you can tell from the photo, my first shot was a little high and back, hence the need for the finisher shot. Second shot was fired into the animal's left hand side and went through the upper leg bone, smashed the heart, and came to rest just under the skin on the opposide side.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote