New
Find
Notify
Tools

WY Antelope
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone know of the trophy quality of the antelope in area 52. Is a 15 inches possible with some work? Hunted region D deer about 4 yrs ago. Are the deer doing well in this area this year? I passed on a 20-22 inch 4 point on that hunt but still would like to try for a 22 inch or better buck this year. Any info would be appreciated.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
52 should be pretty good for a 15". It has lots of public land, get off the beaten path, you should do good. I used to hunt it when lived in Saratoga. Glass lots, and be patient. Some times the hunting is better after the opening week as the crowds die down.

Good Luck!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not hunted 52, but have hunted 50 & 53. I saw bucks like you mention in both of these units. Killed a 15 3/8", 80 B&C in unit 53. There is an outfitter in 52 that usually kills some of the best in the state Platt outfitting, I believe. I hunted on my own when I hunted 50 and 53 and saw lots of good antelope. We went the second weekend and week of season and saw nobody but cowboys and oilfeild workers. I drove into 52 when hunting 50 and there were alot of antelope up high all the way to the pines in the Sierra Madres. We went up South Spring Creek Road, just south of Saratoga. Good Luck.

Posts: 35 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, I have hunted 52 a for a couple of years. I drew again this year. Go late, at the end of the season when the animals seem to come down closer to town. Last year we shot 4 in 9 hours with the largest at 16 inches, smallest 14. Take your time! There are lots of goats. It is a great hunt. Lots of BLM and walk in hunting.

Cheers

Posts: 55 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the great info. I hope the deer hunting is as good.

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote