New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady Superformance Ammo
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I posted this on the Product Reviews forum, but it seems not too many view that site. Hoping to reach a larger audience that may have experience with this new Hornady ammo:

Anybody used any of Hornady's new "Superformance" ammo? How about their new GMX mono-metal bullets? I'm thinking about using their factory loaded Superformance .300 Win Mag cartridges loaded with 165 grain GMX bullets for an elk hunt this Fall.

Looking for any reviews concerning the accuracy of the factory ammo and/or experience with the terminal performance of the GMX bullets.

Best regards, Bill.

Posts: 258 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 27 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should probably post this on the Reloading Forum...

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Bill,

If they make a 180, I would highly recommend moving up to that bullet size for elk.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with moving up to the heavier bullet.
Elk will occasionally "suck up" a lot of energy and keep going. My last elk was taken with a 375 H&H 270 grain Barnes-X bullet at around 2600 fps, hit at 40 yards. Took two through the boiler room that I found under the skin on far side. He still ran 50 yards. My son used his 30 cal and first shot, 180 grian Nosler was a through and through broadside, second shot into breast and recovered from heart. That one ran 50 yards after 1st shot, then 10 yards after second.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Kenpo_Joe
posted Hide Post
+1 on the 180gr. Elk I have shot with my 30-06 have gone up to 50yds with no heart. One went 30yds with his lungs turned to jelly. I would use the 180gr Superformance if they made it.

Meddle not with dragons, for you are good and crunchy with ketchup.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cup and core/multi material bullets yes use a 180gr in 30cal. Mono metal bullets you are just fine with a 165. I have shot a few elk with 165's and it was no more or less dramatic then with 180's. People are shooting elk with 130gr Barnes TTSX from 300's with no problems. Remember all bullets are not created equal these days Wink

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cup and core/multi material bullets yes use a 180gr in 30cal. Mono metal bullets you are just fine with a 165. I have shot a few elk with 165's and it was no more or less dramatic then with 180's. People are shooting elk with 130gr Barnes TTSX from 300's with no problems. Remember all bullets are not created equal these days Wink

I would have to agree with this statement. From all I've seen from the Triple Shocks the 165 should be more than enough.

Posts: 168 | Location: People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote