New
Find
Notify
Tools

Atkinson Hunting Adventures
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As a avid reader and infrequent contributor to this board, I, like you, have all to often read of a outfitter/guide screwing someone. I also know there are not enough contracts, references, bonds, lawyers, etc. to guarantee that you will not get taken. There is only one thing I know that will guarantee a fair hunt and that's the word of a man with integrity. Ray booked us on a hunt and the guide got in way over his head. We took pity on the guide and excepted an IOU for less than half the cost. Ray got involved and after untold hours and dealing with the worst in human nature got us all our money back! He then lined us up with a couple of well discounted hunts for this fall. I then felt so guilty I tried to back out of the second hunt that was free and Ray flat refused to take no for an answer. I now know the ultimate guarantee is the word of Ray Atkinson.
Take care

Posts: 206 | Location: Tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: 26 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am very glad to hear it.

I have not booked a hunt with Ray, but I have purchased stock blanks, ammo and dies from him and have found him to be a very honest, straight-shooting and reliable person. I would not hesitate to trust several tens of thousands with Ray in booking a premium hunt.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting this. We need to hear more praise around here to offset the junk.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TO AL,

My 2 cents worth on Mr. Ray.

My group(6), booked our hunt through RAY for our BUFF hunt in Tanzania. The original reputable PH did not want to meet a few of our minor but important requests, such as meeting us at Dar airport. He fired him.

Found us another good and reputable PH that had outstanding references. The concession owner played a quick one on all since he did not have our money in his hand. Ray had our deposits but the concession owner was able to sell our date to a higher bid. RAY had a confrontation with him in Dallas. Another outfit was chossen and he ended up getting us a better deal yet.

He has been there for us all the way and handled everything in fine fashion. This is where contacts and experience pay off for you. When things out of his control went out of control, he fixed it.

I went with RAY due to his "NO BULL FECES", tell you like it is(because he knows)attitude, which he has plenty of. Obviously, it is what is needed.

I will use his services again and not worry if 'things' will be taken care of.

Regards,

SAM

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I have never booked a hunt with Ray I have asked him several questions about Africia. Even though he knew I will most likley never go there he took the time to answer my questions just so i knew the facts. I greatly apreciated that and if I ever can send Ray business I sure will.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JHook>
posted
Yeah, Ive never met him personaly but I like the old Goat as well. I just hope he dont croak before I can plan my Buff & Leopard hunt.

One thing Ive noticed about the African hunting industry, and really the hunting industry as a whole, is a BS artist gets spotted and reported pretty quick. Especially in the age of the Internet.

Were pretty blessed with the outfitters and PHs we have on this board. And I like the way they show respect for each other, even tho everyone is chaseing the same dollar.

Thats class ; Thats professionalism. I hope Atkinson gets another 30 years to chase Buff around , and , to point hunters to them.............good shooting...............J

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well said, and I have to agree with all of these previous posts.

I haven't been around this forum long, but it sure seems that if Ray says it, you can take it to the bank. He's not going to steer you wrong.

Thanks Ray,

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
I have always had high regards about Ray. It seems he's a true stand up guy. Ray shares my idea about lightweight rifles [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I hope there are more people like Ray who will start in the outfitter business, there is sure as heck a need. I have spoken to other "outfitters" and they seems to be bigger liars than the worst car salesmen [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I hope you live long and well

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
GREAT topic. Great person.
s

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Whether or not one has actually met or dealt with Ray Atkinson as a booking agent, it's quite clear from his posts, here at the Forum, what sort of man he is. One may agree or disagree with Ray on a given issue but his sincerity and integrity are never in question. In my eyes, Ray is the "One of Us" that most enriches this Forum.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep,
He's an original, one of a kind. Ditto Nickudu. Now a standing ovation from the house: ROAR [Big Grin]

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote