THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Have you ever found a firearm in the woods?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you ever found a firearm in the woods?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never heard of California Joe, but did a little search on him.

Here is an interesting article from the time on him. It describes him hitting a 1500 yard shot...
http://www.sonofthesouth.net/l...t/california-joe.htm

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 893 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope. I've never found one in the woods.

But, I DID nearly put one there once. Or in the river to be exact.

I used to have this 12 ga. Model 12 in a Y series trap gun, that I used for dove and ducks. Killed a LOT of game with it. But, with anything heavier than 1 1/8 bird loads it used to mess up bad. It made trips to smiths and nobody ever seemed able to fix it. What it'd do is, when fired from a duck blind it'd fire one shell and drop the next two out of the mag and into the bottom of the blind or straight in the water. I got no idea how it did that.

You might say it was the perfect conservationist's gun.

One day when I was specially fed up with this I said, "you know, it wouldn't take much for me to throw this %(&#@ thing in the river". Well, the old boys I was with doubted the veracity of this statement. "That's a Model 12. Them's worth money. You ain't going to do that".

Says I, "who wants to bet me $20 I won't?"

No one rushed in to cover the bet. Otherwise someone might have shown up here with a tale of how they found a shotgun in Arkansas' Cache River.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
David:

I have been reading (in Shelby Foote's fine history) a story about General Polk ("The Bishop") and one heck of a good officer. It seems that at one very confused point in the fighting at Murfreesboro in the woods, that General Polk spotted an apparent Confederate regiment firing on Confederate troops. He galloped over on horseback and began to berate the regimental colonel and ordered him to stop firing. (Apparently, General Polk could be a rather intimidating figure) He demanded to know the name and rank of the officer in front of him. The officer responded: "Colonel{ so and so}, 87th Indiana. And who are you,sir?" General Polk realized at this point that he was actually in the middle of a Federal regiment. What I loved about the story was that Polk proved why he was entitled to wear the stars of a major general. He shouted back, "never mind who I am, Sir, you will hear from me at day's end. I order you to stop firing." With this, he wheeled the horse -and realizing that if he tried to gallop, that he would be shot, slowly moved away. He even met Union infantry that he would tell them :" Stop firing" -and the men obeyed with a "Yes Sir". He said afterwards that he had a constant prickling of his neck hairs and was mentally calculating how many bullets could land between his shoulder blades even as he rode the horse-very slowly -but edging back to the Confederate lines. I like that story! (As a side note - I had a brother who did "Advanced" infantry training at what was then Camp Polk. Sorry to inform you Rebs but Camp Polk was spoken of with awe in the early US Army of WW2 -as hell on earth - the heat,the mosquitoes, the snakes. I guess the US Army meant that if you can survive Camp Polk you can handle anything the Germans can throw at you! Smiler (Too bad, because Polk was a pretty good general and a decent man)

Posts: 680 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gerrypeters375:
David:

I have been reading (in Shelby Foote's fine history) a story about General Polk ("The Bishop") and one heck of a good officer. It seems that at one very confused point in the fighting at Murfreesboro in the woods, that General Polk spotted an apparent Confederate regiment firing on Confederate troops. He galloped over on horseback and began to berate the regimental colonel and ordered him to stop firing. (Apparently, General Polk could be a rather intimidating figure) He demanded to know the name and rank of the officer in front of him. The officer responded: "Colonel{ so and so}, 87th Indiana. And who are you,sir?" General Polk realized at this point that he was actually in the middle of a Federal regiment. What I loved about the story was that Polk proved why he was entitled to wear the stars of a major general. He shouted back, "never mind who I am, Sir, you will hear from me at day's end. I order you to stop firing." With this, he wheeled the horse -and realizing that if he tried to gallop, that he would be shot, slowly moved away. He even met Union infantry that he would tell them :" Stop firing" -and the men obeyed with a "Yes Sir". He said afterwards that he had a constant prickling of his neck hairs and was mentally calculating how many bullets could land between his shoulder blades even as he rode the horse-very slowly -but edging back to the Confederate lines. I like that story! (As a side note - I had a brother who did "Advanced" infantry training at what was then Camp Polk. Sorry to inform you Rebs but Camp Polk was spoken of with awe in the early US Army of WW2 -as hell on earth - the heat,the mosquitoes, the snakes. I guess the US Army meant that if you can survive Camp Polk you can handle anything the Germans can throw at you! Smiler (Too bad, because Polk was a pretty good general and a decent man)

GREAT STORY clap

Eagles from above

Posts: 147 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
My dad found a real nice S&W 38 special in the woods one time. We was going fishing along a popular river. Walking along the rivers edge fishing the whole way, we came into a camping site that was littered with loads of empty beer cans. My dad just walked over and commented on how rude it was. Then looked on the back side of the log when they was obviously sitting and there it layed. Had 4 spent casings in it and 2 rounds ready to fire. Posted ad in local trading paper and newspaper. No one ever claimed it, had a few callers saying it was theres but when asked where they lost it none of then ever said by the river. My dad still has it...

I found a large knife one time while scuba diving under a intersatte bridge in St Petersburg FL. it was all covered in barnicles and corrosion. I just left it there...

Found some small game traps when I was a kid. Only reason i spotted them is cause they was attached to the skeleton of a dead animal that had stepped in 2 of them. Ended up finding 6 traps on the ground there. Picked them all up and sold them for $50.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of silkibex
posted Hide Post
Found small game traps when I was a kid.
Found SS 12ga against a tree one evening, after the morning I shot my first gobbler-and a big one. Took me all day to remember it was missing.
Found (and destroyed) a cage for keeping snow leopard cubs in the Tien Shan. Got a picture somewhere but can't find it.

Posts: 210 | Location: Central Asia/SE Asia | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brando:

I kinda perked up when your post mentioned an S&W 38 Special as lost in woods. You don't mention barrel length but for years, (for no really good reason) I carried an S&W 38 Special, snubnose, while deer hunting, in a belt holster intended for detectives carrying the piece -and having to draw quickly. Totally unsuited, of course, for any active hunter. More than once, the pistol simply tumbled out of the cutaway holster. I feel for the guy who lost that pistol.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a cat hunt in Paraguay, a member of our party found a poacher's 12 ga. spring gun trap made with steel tubing and a mousetrap. Thankfully, it was unloaded. If I can find a picture, I'll post it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ya a 12 ga pump and a bunch of other stuff, stolen from a police car

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 396 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never found a gun here in England, but it was quite common to find hand grenades! No, really!

Reminds me of the joke about the World War II "bring and tell" day at the local school. Teacher tells the kids to speak to their grandparents and get something to "bring and tell" about the War.

So on the day Suzie has a set of goggles that her grandma used when welding bombers in the aeroplane factory. Joey has som of grandpa's "dog tags" etc., etc.

All goes well, there are bayonets, medals, ration cards, and all the rest, until the last little boy who is in tears.

The teacher asks what has upset him.

He replies that he heard grandma telling grandpa that he needed to throw out the old tank in the attic...but when he asked for it grandpa said it was already "spoken for" by the scrap metal man.

Posts: 6818 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
In 1974 when I was in the Army stationed at Ft. Richardson, Alaska, another officer & I went black bear hunting up near Bodenburg Butte (now a housing development, I think) and we ran across a Winchester 94 leaning up against a tree. I think there was a backpack or some camping gear, too. We were Military Police so we took it back to post and ran the serial number through NCIC but didn't get a hit. I forget what happened to it, but know it didn't end up in my collection.

We figured somebody left their canmpsite & then couldn't locate it again. Or a bear ate him.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1551 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A rusted out 30-06 burried in leaves just outside a perimeter fence of a local prison. Seems it was intended for someone who never made it over the fence?

" Knowledge without experience is just information. "

- Mark Twain

Posts: 141 | Location: santa maria, ca | Registered: 25 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nitro Express:

The very last phrase of your post supplies the answer, I'll bet! (Why didn't Alaska issue the warning about using bells and spraying pepper as the classic bear warning says? Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you mean like this one

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of J.R.Jackson
posted Hide Post
Haven't found one yet

Posts: 570 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 12 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Nice picture Ravenr!
Would like to hear the goods on that picture.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
snellstrom
the photo is of bill pinnell,taken on kodiak is.
he was half the pair who outfittered brown bear hunts there.
the book "last of the great brown bear men"
was written about him and his partner talifson.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
who was the customer in the photo?

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't know about the unlucky hunter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L. David Keith:
Gerry, I guess you could say I have relived that war many times, having served in the Confederate Marines before joining the 1st Tennessee Volunteer Infantry, rising from a private to Lt General in the Confederate High Command. Re-enacting mind you Wink but it's the closest thing to being there one can ever experience.

It will get your attention when your charging 15,000 Federals behind a stone wall with artillery booming all around you. Smoke so thick you taste sulfur with every breath. I've walked over many battlefields and most weren't in Nat'l Parks. Very few American's care about preserving Civil War history anymore. I've scoured the ground with my metal detector while dodging the bulldozer. We rush to save history before each new Target, Walmart and parking lot gets laid.

As for snipers, you should read about sharp shooters on both sides. I live very near Ike Shaw homeplace, one of General Cleburne's CS sharp shooters. His description of the Battle of Franklin is remarkable. He had a .45 Whitworth target rifle, one of 20 that made it through the blockade. He took high toll on the Federal Artillerist's that day before his unit was recalled; before Hood's bad choice of a frontal charge over 2 miles of open ground. By Nashville they were reduced to only 16. I have been fortunate enough to dig 5 Whitworth bullets from the Confederate Sharp Shooter positions at Nashville (3 dropped cylindrical and 2 fired hexagonal). They are the longest small arms projectile of the war: 1.41" long and 525 grains in weight. The war cost over 650,000 lives, but most died of illness.
LDK

actually the witworth target rifle used bullets that were Hexogonal when they went into the bore.

Because a mould that would cast hexagonal bullets precisely was (at the time and for that matter still is if you understand how bullet moulds are actually made) impractical to make, so each rifle comes with a mould that casts the bullets as cylinders and there is a die made from a cut off section of rifled barrel is provided with each rifle to act as a swaging die.

There was a variation where a "false muzzle" and a cylindrical bullet "rammed"
(with a starting punch and a hammer) directly
into the bore, but in general it was preferable to run all cast bullets through the die beforehand to be able to accomplish anything resembling a timely reload.

so a "Hexagonal bullet" wasn't necissarily "fired" and you wouldn't find fired bullets in the position they were fired from.

Loading with a false muzzle was technical possible but incredibly laborious as compared to having cast and swaged the bullets before hand.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote