THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Got a nice buck Saturday morning (pic)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got a nice buck Saturday morning (pic)
 Login/Join

posted
Saturday morning, about 30 minutes into Oklahoma's rifle season, I caught this buck chasing a doe.

I got to my stand well before sunup, but had trouble getting my rifle pulled up. I have a bipod on my rifle, and the darn bipod got stuck on a limb on the way up. Basically, it sounded like I was pulling up a tin can. My stand sits right at the corner of the wheatfield where I expected the deer to filter from and pass by me. So I really thought I'd screwed everything up. Anyway, after getting my rifle pulled up and getting settled in, I heard a buck chasing a doe through the treerow I was in. It was still pretty dark, so I hoped I'd see some action when the sun came up. Shortly after the sun came up, I heard a deer running through the treerow, coming my direction, and I heard a buck grunt. The doe came right to the base of my tree, and began milling around. I heard the buck grunt again but I still couldn't see him. Suddenly she bolted up the hill behind my stand, and directly downwind of me. The buck cut across the corner of the wheatfield and chased her up the hill. When he picked up my scent, he just froze. I had to squat down on the base of my stand to get a shot through the tree I was in. He was only about 60 yards out, and the 140 gr. ballistic tip from my 7 Mag did the trick. He dropped at the shot. I know he's not a monster by many people's standards, but I guarantee you he'll have a place of importance on my living room wall. I'm only sorry that I've used my only rifle buck tag already this year. I am pretty proud of him.

He's a 9 pointer, and he field dressed 190 pounds. He's the nicest buck I've ever shot.

Jerrod
 -

[ 11-25-2003, 07:07: Message edited by: Jerrod ]

Posts: 16 | Location: SW Oklahoma | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerrod, man that's a dandy and a great story. Did you get a pass through with the BT ?

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good looking buck. Congrats on the hunt!!

Posts: 193 | Location: Laramie, Wyoming | Registered: 01 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No, I didn't get a pass-through with the ballistic tip this time. For some reason, I don't usually get complete penetration on closer shots with the BT's. I've shot 2 deer (one at 100 yards, and one at 168), and gotten complete penetration, but anything under 100 yards, I've never had 'em go all the way through.... but I've never had to track a deer with them either!! I find it hard to call that a "bullet failure". The 140 gr. winchester supreme BT's, and the Federal Premium 160gr. partitions have given me incredible accuracy, and both have performed well on deer for me. Right now I'm using the BT's, for whatever reason.

Jerrod

Posts: 16 | Location: SW Oklahoma | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dandy buck and a great photo. Well done.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Hey Jerrod,

Congrats! That is a great buck for up there! It must be one of those Kansas bucks that slipped across the border from the north.

Good Hunting,

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Awesome buck Jerrod! Congratulations on a nice hunt.

Matt

Posts: 46 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great buck. He will look good on the wall. And he will be good on the grill [Wink]

Brian

Posts: 119 | Location: NJ | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks a lot like the one I shot on monday but mine had a extra point on it to make it a ten. Nice buck good shot.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Jerrod,
Very nice buck!!
Congrats
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
<abnrigger>
posted
Nice Buck!
Great story.
Hope you didn't have to drag him very far.

When I lived on OK the rifle season was only nine days long. Is that still the case?