THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Texans -some infornation pls on deer hunting

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texans -some infornation pls on deer hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I've been invited to hunt whitetails over the Dec 12th weekend on a private lease just north of San Antonia (I think that it's in eastern Kendall or southern Blanco county).

What type of hunting country is this? Rolling hills, flat land, etc? I've hunted birds down around Carrizo Springs and it was pretty flat with lots of 10-12 feet tall brush. Am I looking at 100 yard brush country shots or 300 yard beanfield type shooting?

From what I can find on the internet I have to buy a non-resident hunting license for $305, is there anything else that I need to buy?

Thanks for any help.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fjold,

You say you will be hunting just north of San Antonia. Could you have been listening to someone with a Texas drawl. Maybe he was meaning San Antonio, as in Davy Crockett and the Alamo.
If so, the area north of there is part of the Texas hill country. As such the terrain will be rolling/foothills. Depending on what has been done on this ranch it may be covered in Juniper, with oak motts and some pasture.
Might look something like this.......

As to what type of shots you will have, I would ask your host. For example, I bow hunt making shots from 15 to 35 yds. I usually set up in Juniper or oak motts. Ground blinds or tripods. However, I have two areas on hilltops where shots are up to 800 yds.
If you can, find out exactly where you will be. It could be Boerne, Kerrville, Harper, Mountain Home, Ingraham, Hunt, Bandera, Medina, or any number of places.

As to cost, I was thinking a 3 day non resident hunting license was around $45(I stand to be corrected). However you should log on the the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department website to be sure.

As to what else you need to buy.
Well, a bottle of Patron Reposado, or Makers Mark, a couple of Macanudo or Punch cigars for your host or ranch owner probably would not put you in the "casa de perro's.

If they don't have a walk in cooler, take plenty of Ice for all the hogs and deer you're gonna' shoot.
GWB

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As to cost, I was thinking a 3 day non resident hunting license was around $45(I stand to be corrected). However you should log on the the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department website to be sure

No, that license, which is now $48 is not good for deer, only birds, small game, and exotics, including hogs. Unfortunately he will have to buy the non-resident deer hunting license which, while I haven't checked the price, is probably the $305 he mentioned.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected.
Thanks GG.

Best call them, or log on to the TPWD website to be sure the license cost.

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Geedubya is spot on about the terrain. It will more than likely be rolling hills with quite a few rocks. Probably lots of live-oaks with some cedar, persimmon, and mesquite mixed in.....BEAUTIFUL country to hunt in. I've hunted the hill country for most of my life and I love it. The whitetail generally do tend to be a little smaller than the rest of the state, but there are also a whole bunch of them.....so in my opinion, that makes up for it. You should see plenty of game. You'll probably see hogs, and maybe also Axis and Blackbuck. Good luck, wish I was going!!

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
Fjold,

You say you will be hunting just north of San Antonia. Could you have been listening to someone with a Texas drawl. Maybe he was meaning San Antonio, as in Davy Crockett and the Alamo.
If so, the area north of there is part of the Texas hill country. As such the terrain will be rolling/foothills. Depending on what has been done on this ranch it may be covered in Juniper, with oak motts and some pasture.
Might look something like this.......

As to what type of shots you will have, I would ask your host. For example, I bow hunt making shots from 15 to 35 yds. I usually set up in Juniper or oak motts. Ground blinds or tripods. However, I have two areas on hilltops where shots are up to 800 yds.
If you can, find out exactly where you will be. It could be Boerne, Kerrville, Harper, Mountain Home, Ingraham, Hunt, Bandera, Medina, or any number of places.

As to cost, I was thinking a 3 day non resident hunting license was around $45(I stand to be corrected). However you should log on the the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department website to be sure.

As to what else you need to buy.
Well, a bottle of Patron Reposado, or Makers Mark, a couple of Macanudo or Punch cigars for your host or ranch owner probably would not put you in the "casa de perro's.

If they don't have a walk in cooler, take plenty of Ice for all the hogs and deer you're gonna' shoot.
GWB

GWB

Holy Cow GWB,that sure is pretty down there.Sure is a variety differnt critters.OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should also be ready for a variety of weather conditions. Might be warm, cool, or cold, and can change overnight.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LWD:
You should also be ready for a variety of weather conditions. Might be warm, cool, or cold, and can change overnight.

LWD

Definitely +1.....sorry forgot to mention that.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information guys. My host is travelling this week so I have to wait to talk with him. It's actually one of those corporate owned hunting areas where they invite select customers out for hunting.

I know it's San Antonio, I just mis-typed it. Big Grin

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will add that the rut is going full blast now so it will be long over by mid-December. Still be many animals as we saw at least five mature bucks working hard to find "the one girlfriend" yesterday while playing golf. Actually saw one neighbor trying to chase off a buck with a hammer in his hand. Must have been one of our misplaced Yankee friends.

Enjoy the beautiful Texas Hill Country.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I live on the edge of Blanco County, and have hunted many times in Kendall County. Expect thick oak and juniper cover (unless the landowner has spent a ton of money clearing the junipers). You'll be hunting from a blind and the feeder will only be fifty yards away, so megacalibers aren't necessary.

Unless the place is high fenced and well-managed, don't expect to find a very large whitetail buck. An eight-pointer with about a 16 inch spread is a "big un" in these parts.

Being a corporate lease, it will likely have some exotics. If you're lucky enough to be invited to shoot one, an Axis is a beautiful trophy which yields excellent meat. You might see a blackbuck or a fallow.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote