New
Find
Notify
Tools

Premier Reticle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This may not be the best forum for this post and if anyone feels it is not I apologize, but it is ultimately about big game hunting. Just got my 4.5x14 Leupold back from Premier. Had them place four extra horizontal lines in the reticle allowing me to zero at 200 with the next line at 300, etc. out to 600. It works! I'm using a Winchester Model 70 Classic Super Grade in .338 Win Mag. The bullet is the 200gr Nosler Ballistic Tip on top of 66grs of IMR4064 for 3000fps. I modified the magazine, bolt stop, and ejector to allow me to seat the bullet just off the lands which resulted in better accuracy. Zeroed at 200 the rifle proved dead on at 300 and 400. Will try the 500 and 600 ranges next. The first hunt with this outfit will be in a little over a week for Wyoming Mule Deer. Yes, a .338 is more gun than necessary but that BT should buck the wind pretty good and early or late when the wind often settles I may need the reach. Using cross-sticks I was consistently hitting an 8 inch square at 400 just before dark yesterday evening. I may have found my all-round big game rig with this combination.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes it's amazing what Premier can do. If you can supply the data on what you want, they will make it happen for you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jim, I might just have to do that with a spare 4-14 I have.

You trade that 454 for a 338-378 on your way thru, and you'll only need 2 lines in that scope. lol We'll have to swap stories and pics in a couple of weeks when we're both back.

Later, Al

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I GOT SMART--I like my premiere reticle scopes so much I started buying leupold quick release mts so I could start using that nice(but expensive) scope on more guns. You can quickly "recalibrate" it with quick target or any ballistics program that shows moa for flight path.
The only problem from there on out is know the distance you are shooting to.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Mauser416>
posted
JBD,
Could you post and or e-mail Premier's web/snail mail address?

Eric

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Al, I would definitely recommend having your spare Leupold worked over, especially if you have a rifle you shoot primarily one load in. Although I haven't had time to try yet I'm betting the scope will work for a variety of other loads as well. Good hunting on your upcoming trip and I will contact you when I get back from Wyoming. IT'S ALMOST TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote