THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Wyoming goes 90/10 for Resident/Non resident tags

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wyoming goes 90/10 for Resident/Non resident tags
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted
https://blog.eastmans.com/wyom...oull-read-this-year/

Probably not what a lot of out of state point holders want to hear.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
But that’s what they have to get used to

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
Good thing I never had much interest in hunting big game in Wyoming. Looks like now I'll never even give it a thought and spend my few hunt dollars somewhere else.

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is only for the "big five" (sheep, goat, bison, moose, bear) not for the more common elk deer, and pronghorn tags. At least not yet.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Good for them, residents should get first pick ... Too bad for the outfitters though

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outfitters aren't guaranteed a living any more than anybody else. They take their chances just like the rest of us.

Posts: 1144 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
One last antelope hunt for me.

Posts: 600 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kda55:
Outfitters aren't guaranteed a living any more than anybody else. They take their chances just like the rest of us.

Absolutely! But the outfitter campaign mechanism in Wyoming is really strong.

I think this is the reason they have not been able to make it happen for elk, deer and antelope.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Colorado Bob:

It's not for Pronghorn

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:
Originally posted by Colorado Bob:

It's not for Pronghorn

I understand that. But I'm cashing in my points & getting out of the points game. Nothing but OTC for me.

Posts: 600 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck on the draws, how many points do you have?

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I’ve enjoyed hunting Wyoming for many years and frequently hear complaints from locals about not being able to draw tags. When I look up stats, which WY F&W has in abundance, I find there to be practically unlimited tags for residents in many areas. This suggests to me that the locals are not always using the information available to them. I suspect they are used to being able to hunt the most desirable areas all the time. Animal populations are dropping along with tag numbers, so the reduction in NR tags probably won’t make a noticeable improvement in that situation.
No doubt the 90/10 will be applied to deer, elk and antelope in the near future which will result in a massive reduction in NR hunters. Of course Wyoming can do what they wish with their game but resident hunters will end up paying more to offset the money not spent by non residents. Like everyone else I'll start to looking at other states.

Marshall Jones

Posts: 192 | Location: Redding, CA | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just like anywhere else there are huge units with tons of land locked public land.

Areas that seem to have unlimited tags are plagued by tons of private land, and in many cases there is no access.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that there is a lot of public land not accessable. I'm refering to areas where I would be currently hunting which took 2 or 3 points to draw, then locals complaining they can't draw tags. Looking at the stats these areas often have resident tags leftover. I think many of the locals are used to being able to hunt premium areas and only apply for those while us non residents settle for lesser areas, thank God for On X. No doubt the legislators are trying to please their voters by reducing NR tags. I just think it won't help them draw premium tags much and in the long run might result in higher residents tag fees. I've certainly enjoyed hunting WY and consider it the next best place to paradise but have spent a small fortune doing so. I'm big into helping new hunters getting started and introduce six or eight new hunters to WY antelope and cow elk each year.

Marshall Jones

Posts: 192 | Location: Redding, CA | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The non-resident and resident thing has been going on for decades.

Residents always complain.

In Wis. we have lots of deer the piss poor hunters complain about Non-residents shooting all the deer.

A lot of residents think they should shoot a critter out their back door.

A non resident spends lots of money and a lot of time.

They tend to hunt harder.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote