Find
Notify
Tools

New Deer Camp dilemma......
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
This may seem silly to some and this may not be the proper forum, but it does have to do with hunting and it's been heavy on my mind rescently. I'm going to inherit some family property in an area I've hunted all my life. I doubt I'd ever sell this property even if I never hunted there again. I'll probably end up with 35 acres total eventually with access to a few hundred acres of family land to hunt in this area and I'm in an adjoining lease of 8500 acres. This area is 75 miles from my house, so it would be nice to have a place to stay while I hunt this area about 30 +/- days a year. My dilemma is I'm not sure wheter I want to build a permanent camp, buy a portable camp(12x24 or more), or buy a RV. It will be the cheapest to buy the portable camp with the next in line being the RV, then the permanent camp. The reason this is a difficult decision is I'm not sure I'll hunt there for the rest of my life. I've hunted this place since a small boy and the memories with Dad, Grandpa, other family and friends are hard to let go. I know this area by heart and would enjoy passing it on at some point. I've already had a dozer clear off a house site and put in a pond near a gravel road. We've put in a water line, drive way, and gate. I really don't know if I should build a permanent camp here and then decide one day that I don't want to hunt here anymore and have the place unattended.

The hunting is not that great and I have better areas to hunt, but it's the memories and the awesome feeling to take game where my mentors once took game and taught me to hunt.

This is one of the ideas I rough sketched for an inexpensive permanent camp:

Thanks,

Reloader

Question:
Do you think it would be wise to:

Choices:
Build a Permanent Camp
Buy an RV
Buy a portable small camp

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dn't know about by you but there are dozens of small to med size trailers around for fairly cheap here they make a good hunting camp.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can I sleep in the Queen bed?
Also, there is no manicure station and I don't see any outlets for my hair dryer.
Other than that, it looks perfect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eleven years ago, I ended up with 2500 acres 18 miles south of Junction Texas for the cost of back taxes on it. We ended up putting 33ft travel trailer on it. Built a shed over it and a porch on the front. Hard wire and plumbing. So far we have been happy with it and with the exception of the travel trailer, it was all at minimal cost. As it sets, couple of hours work and it could be moved easily.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader,

I would opt for a 5th wheel camper so that if you wanted you could use it to do other outings with your family. We use ours for get togethers with family and friends for fishing and Bluegrass Festivals etc. If you buy a good used one and keep it in good shape you can always get most of your money back should you decide to do something diffrent.

Hawkeye47

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Id I could afford it, I'd do the permanent set-up. Otherwise I would go with what the budget would stand. Good memories like that are worth more than just money.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
What kind of deer camp has TV's in it?

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye47:
Reloader,

I would opt for a 5th wheel camper so that if you wanted you could use it to do other outings with your family. We use ours for get togethers with family and friends for fishing and Bluegrass Festivals etc. If you buy a good used one and keep it in good shape you can always get most of your money back should you decide to do something diffrent.

Hawkeye47

Pretty well covers it thumb... Picked up a 5th wheel a couple of years ago and it's a house on wheels... Take it on vacation and use it as our hunting camp, no problem...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
A friend of mines wife inherited some property when her father died. It was not real big about 20 acres the problem they had was it was about 100 miles from there home. It was a nice place for my friend to hunt while his father-in-law was alive but they couldn’t stay to keep the thieves out. When they went to mow they would find it had been broken into. Something you might think about.

I would get a small trailer I could pull down with a truck or van and take it home with eliminating the thieve problem. If you have electric and water you would be set.

Just my 2cents worth

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those places need frequent or continuing upkeep. And frequent occupation. If the locals or transits find out you are seldom there, they'll either trash it out "just cause that's the way they are" or set up a drug store in it. So put there what you can afford to lose.
For a "hunting camp", your plans are pretty fancy IMO.
Imagine one big room with a sink on one wall along with a cook/heating stove, a picnic table in the middle and cots along the other three walls with your duffle under them. A path out back to the neccassary. Don't leave anything for the thieves to steal when you leave and don't lock the door 'cause the thieves will just break it to see if there's anything inside to steal.

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
stillbeeman:

I couldnt agree with you more it sounds like "you have been there and done that."

It is a shame we cant do what we would like without having someone trash-out/destroy best laid out plans.

Swede

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
http://www.square1containers.com/

these shipping containers keep assholes out and your stuff in even if left unatended and make great camps and storage.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I had a 12 x 30 camp in N.MN. It was kind of remote and for the 25 years I had it we never had any vandalism, my brothers still have it and still no trouble. We built a 8 12 sauna and it was a great addition to the camp, and yes we did have TV, also a generator for lights and a pump, gas lights for the quiet times!!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a small piece of acreage in north east Wyoming and this is how I do for deer camp. If I want power it is less than 75" from my camper but have not hooked up to it yet.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is the most tv's I have ever seen in a hunting camp.

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i would look into trying to get ahold of one of the FEMA trailer. don`t know but you might find one cheap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like the guy that kissed the cow, to each his own, I could dig a sauna in camp but if it's my camp, ain't gonna be no TV's nor cell phones. I just don't hang out with folks that are so important that they can't go a week or ten days out of touch with the world.
That's one of the reasons I like to get into the out back.

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by longshot59:
i would look into trying to get ahold of one of the FEMA trailer. don`t know but you might find one cheap

Those trailers make people sick and die not for me at any price.

Swede

NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
do you plan to go for the "good hunting" or the "memories"?

i believe you stated the hunting isn't that good and you have better places to hunt. that said, i'd get a camper trailer of some sort so i could spend a few days at the old location and perhaps take the family as well. that would give you the old time connection without a high cash outlay.

if i was going to spend all 30 days on the land, i'd still suggest a camper trailer due to the possibility of vandals, etc.

should you decide on some form of permanent structure, you can always have it built on blocks. when the time comes to move it, disconnect the plumbing, elec., etc, lift her up on a trailer (you might have to pay someone for this move) and leave.

i have just such a structure on a 21000 ac lease. when i get ready to change leases, the building goes with me.

lots of ways to skin a cat!

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Given your parameters, I think I'd choose an old travel trailer and build a pole shed or two with some tables, chairs, etc to expand your living, skinning, cooking area. You can find used trailers pretty cheap and you could choose to leave it there or haul it home when the hunting season is over. A lot depends on how secure the area is, which is not specified in your post. If you reconsider you can always upgrade to a nice cabin, but it is hard to downgrade from a cabin if you follow my logic.

As far as the people bitching about the TVs goes, it's your camp and your life, let them do what they want and you do what suits you. Amazing how many people want to foist their values off on others.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
If you by an RV you can have all the amenities of your deer camp and move it when you want to hunt/travel somewhere else. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
quote:
The hunting is not that great and I have better areas to hunt, but it's the memories and the awesome feeling to take game where my mentors once took game and taught me to hunt.

This seems to me to be precisely your answer.

My family has hunted in NW Wisconsin since the earliest days of the 20th century. In the 30's, they bought a piece of property on an absolutely heavenly lake. That property has been in our family, one way or another, for four generations, going on the 5th.

When people ask me where I'm from, the answer is easy. I lived in many places; but there is only one place where I have been, every year of my life, from even before I was born.

That's the reason the cabin will stay in our family for generations to come.

God bless,

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader, I think there's been some good tips here. If vandalism is an issue, then I'd definitely go the camper.

I like a TV in camp, on days to rainy to hunts, or evenings, it's great to catch a game, or the last couple of 'monster buck' video's or whatever. One is usually enough IME.....I do still prefer a couple drinks around the campfire though.

Oh, and Kroil, the manicure station goes on a fold-down table on the wall across from the toilet!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Dang Fish, how'd you guess it. I left out the manicure station as I thought it would be alittle "girly" Big Grin

Your right about the TVs, man, I love to watch LSU play and usually watch the Saints get beat sunday afternoons Smiler The outdoor channel is nice to look at after a long day without luck. I like modern comforts in camp, that's what it's all about: relaxing. I even like to have a phone to catch up with my friends and family around the country and see how their season's going. Relaxing, hunting, and talking with friends & family, my main habits while camping out...

By the way, there will be a covered skinin' shack with a fire pit regardless of what I decide to place on the property.

Ya'll have a good one,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CRUSHER:
http://www.square1containers.com/

these shipping containers keep assholes out and your stuff in even if left unatended and make great camps and storage.
The locks on shipping containers are easily compromised by battery powered dremel tools with cut off wheels many have been entered that way in CA.