THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Scent control - does this stuff work ?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scent control - does this stuff work ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have never used it. But I see a ton of stuff from clothing to soaps to storage bins ect.

Does this scent control stuff work?

Anyone use it ?

Thanks

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
It can’t hurt. I’ve been gifted some scentloc clothing and I’ve bought the sprays. Used for bow hunting whitetails. Does it work? Idk, staying downwind definitely does. My opinion is it doesn’t hurt, and they have great marketing.

Posts: 3462 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
My personal opinion is that a scent blocker might accomplish more than anything else.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Mike, it works! I've had bear on the ground, while I was sitting on the ground, get within 10 ft of me and they have a great nose.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1102 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
I keep telling the car rental companies to use ANY scent blocker spray rather than that choking, disgusting cherry masking scent that they spray in their cars after some loser smokes in the car. barf

I always used the scent killer stuff for my clothes (and bar soap). As always, staying downwind is better than any product. But I always sprayed my boots when leaving the truck. Why not?

Dave

Posts: 923 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For ar members who use scent blocking

How do you use it ?

Wash clothes in non scent detergent ?
Use special scent blocking clothing ?
Store in special scent blocking boxes ?
Spray stuff to kill scent ?

How do you control normal scent from cars, hotel rooms, camps ect ?

Thanks

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
In elk camp we each had a large Rubbermaid tub. Your hunting clothes went in that along with some pine branches. You changed out of your hunting clothes when you arrived back at camp and put them in the tub. The idea was to not get any camp smells like cooking and smoke on the clothes that you were hunting in. It also kept you from smelling like a cow in heat when you were in camp. barf

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
If you are careful to be down wind, why would you need it? I have never used it.

Posts: 5709 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
For ar members who use scent blocking

How do you use it ?

Wash clothes in non scent detergent ?
Use special scent blocking clothing ?
Store in special scent blocking boxes ?
Spray stuff to kill scent ?

How do you control normal scent from cars, hotel rooms, camps ect ?

Thanks

Mike

That’s the trade off I’ve found. Where does it stop? They have laundry detergent, deodorant, dryer sheets, even chewing gum.

Posts: 3462 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used it on several occasions, but stopped. I spot & stalk hunt, always keeping the wind in my face, so it made absolutely no difference for me.

Now the guys that sit in blinds and stands, or hunt from a fixed position; I can see scent control being very beneficial to them, as they can't move around to adjust for changing wind conditions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a huge waste of time and money IMO. It may help SOME, but nothing can mask human odor entirely. Human scent comes from lots of places, including your eyes. Ever notice these yahoos on hunting TV lugging their ozonics machines and bottles full of this spray on scent killing crap with them? Then you notice they won't hunt a certain stand because the wind is wrong. It's a farce.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
It certainly helps- to separate the gullible from his money......

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13249 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a product I believe called Nose Jammer.A friend of mine sprayed some on his clothes and boots before walking to his stand.He said the deer payed no attention to his scent when using this product.I smelled it and it smelt like vanilla.I bought some vanilla extract and cut it with water.I sprayed it on my boots and clothes before walking to my tree stand.It worked .The deer walked down that same trail I did with in 15 minutes of me and showed no sense of having scented me.It is supposed to block their olfactory sense and seems to work.I have often used cover up scents such as pine and fresh earth and they seem to help.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
There are no shortcuts.
Keep the wind in your favor.
You can’t buy skill but you can buy gimmicks.

I have friends who believed in all that scent blocker stuff until I put a dog out and found them in no time flat.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1219 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Concerning hunting wild hogs and deer from stands.It works to a certain extent.

Scent killer spray.
My wife has a very sensitive nose. I have sprayed my self down after getting all hot sweaty and stinky. Pretty much killed the B.O. Reduces the odor on dirty shirts too.

Where I think it helps the most is on your boots. Ive seen deer react to crossing my trail multiple times. If I spray my boots it seems to reduce the scent trail I leave on the ground.

I will say this about the clothing. For "me", I have too wear the scent blocker hood to see any results. My breath must stink pretty bad to a deer. Doesn't work well for bowhunting.

The scent free soap is better than smelling like flowers for sure.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read a study done with K-9 unit dogs and several scent aids and clothing and hiding "bad guys in boxes with and without blockers, clothing, and soaps...the dogs found them as fast as without. and it was fast. A cool study that made me feel pretty stupid, but learned me. If the wind is behind you you're screwed.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not trying to be a wise ass, but with the exception of hunting birds, I always hunt into the wind or occasionally cross wind but never with the wind at my back.

Whether I am using scent blocker or not.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How does being in a stand say 20-25 ft high impact scent patterns ?

How long does scent last on the ground ?

Thanks

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would depend upon the wind patterns.

Unless there is a definite down draft, depending on the terrain your scent should be in the air above the animals ability to sense it.

If you hunt in an area, and with your concerns about the sweamp, the terrain is probably fairly flat or lower than the height of your stand.

Out terrain is rolling so we put our feeders in the low spots and the stands on the high ground and as best as possible we set the stands downwind of the prevailing winds.

In your location, figure out the normal wind pattern and place your stand so that under normal conditions the wiunds will either be blowing toward you from the feeder or crosswind so there is no chance of wind blowing from the blind to the feeder.

TYhe other aspect you have to keep in mind when setting a blind is where the rising and setting sun will be at the best times to be hunting. A setting or rising sun off to one side is a hell of a lot better than facing a rising sun and having the sun setting behind you is the next best option.

Those are just my opinions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as you're breathing, you're emitting scent. Scent control my ass.

Posts: 113 | Location: Maryland 's Eastern Shore | Registered: 03 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I read years ago that scent could stay on a steel tree stand step up to 3 hours. Porus materials could be longer. Depends alot on conditions. Dogs can scent tracks and animals with amazing ease. I wouldn't think a game animal would be any less acute.

If the scent is faint enough the game is less likely to be alarmed.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1371 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As long as you're breathing, you're emitting scent. Scent control my ass.

That is true, but if your hunting where the wind is in your face, that means your breath is blowing AWAY from the direction the game will be coming in from!

I don't know of many hunters that worry about what may be downwind of them but what is coming in from the upwind side!

Everyones mileage varies!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks

Mike

The answer is it depends.

Height is always better than being on the ground. The cooler it is the less height one can get away with . Warm air rises .

As far as scent on the ground , it depends on how wet the ground it.

I believe these scent products help but cannot get rid of all human scent. We breath. We open out mouthes. Personally, I get HIGH up a tree. That is the best one can do.

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never used any of the scent products, and that goes all the way back to when I first started deer hunting back in 1970.

I did not start hunting from stands until around 1995, when Lora started really getting interested in hunting, but from my experiences over that almost 50 years using the wind in your favor works better than anything. JMO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks

Mike

The higher over the trail you are sitting on, the better. However, if you are archery hunting you need to be concerned about the shot angle. If you are 25 feet up and shooting at a deer 45 feet from your tree your shot can easily be impeded by the spine and scapulae. Obviously with a firearm, that's not an issue.

As others have said, hunting with the wind in mind is very important, but even a moderate breeze (5mph) will blow your scent away or, even better, over the trail you are sitting on. climb up in your stand sometime and light a cigarette, watching the smoke to illustrate how your scent moves away from your stand.

I am careful about scent on my clothing because, why not? It isn't difficult. I keep my outer clothing hanging outside as much as possible, I transport them in airtight containers in my car and spray down my clothes and boots (and fanny pack) with scent control spray just before heading to my stand. Wear gloves when you climb into and out of your stand: your hands not only retain scent but exude it as well.
For me the most critical reason for all of these precautions is my concern with leaving scent on the ground and passing vegetation as I move to and from my stand. Even if you are quiet as a mouse getting there, if you leave an olfactory trail, you may cause yourself problems, especially with a mature buck.

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've found bacon grease to be a great scent masking product when bear hunting.

Only thing you need to have eyes in the back of your head.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could a Game Warden view that as Baiting??????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken Nordberg, a pathologist, wrote a series of books called the "Deer Hunter's Almanac". He used the scientific method to test a number of well accepted theories on whitetail deer. He tested these theories on a deer herd he had access to. His conclusion was that scent control sprays, soap, detergent, etc. work for about 30 minutes. The reason was because the bacteria in your mouth doubles every 30 minutes and that is what the deer can smell.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I don't think you can do anything to mask your scent 100% from deer. I like hunting in blinds as this would be the very best measure but still, not 100% effective.

I am all over my property daily so the 'locals' know me, presumably my scent, chicken poop on my boots and my tractor, etc. The ladies rarely run off as I never hunt them. They bring the boys in well enough I can put meat in the freezer every year if I so desire.

I spend my money on seeding my fields with stuff palatable to deer rather than hokey scent cover chemicals. Smiler

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
I don't think you can do anything to mask your scent 100% from deer. I like hunting in blinds as this would be the very best measure but still, not 100% effective.

I am all over my property daily so the 'locals' know me, presumably my scent, chicken poop on my boots and my tractor, etc. The ladies rarely run off as I never hunt them. They bring the boys in well enough I can put meat in the freezer every year if I so desire.

I spend my money on seeding my fields with stuff palatable to deer rather than hokey scent cover chemicals. Smiler

tu2

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Total waste of time and money....period!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:

Same here. I walk with my dog all over my property every day and my sight and scent is everywhere. Does ignore us and does bring the bucks. If you think using special soap, deodorant, cover sprays, etc, makes up for lack of common sense, by all means waste your money.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13249 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And I feel exactly the same on those spendy 'scent control' fabrics. You can certainly spend the money. It's 'yer' money but the wildlife still knows you are there.

You are better off paying attention to the wind direction, moving as little as possible (or utilizing good cover, terrain), if you own some land- knowing the travel routes, funnels, feeding areas, coverts where game feels relaxed, etc- as has already been mentioned.

I know many of you have access to very large BLM, sprawling western ranches, etc where walk and stalk is de rigueur (lucky you)...

quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:

Same here. I walk with my dog all over my property every day and my sight and scent is everywhere. Does ignore us and does bring the bucks. If you think using special soap, deodorant, cover sprays, etc, makes up for lack of common sense, by all means waste your money.

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am all over my property daily so the 'locals' know me, presumably my scent, chicken poop on my boots and my tractor, etc. The ladies rarely run off as I never hunt them.

That is an aspect, too few understand. In many areas around the country, deer are so used to some human scents that they do not pay attention,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mature bucks are still savvy but they too will falter when it comes to the rut.

quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:

That is an aspect, too few understand. In many areas around the country, deer are so used to some human scents that they do not pay attention,

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When we fill the feeders we walk all around and touch everything, piss on the bushes. Strong human scent tells the deer and hogs the feeder is working.

M

Posts: 1236 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hide Post
When we fill the feeders we walk all around and touch everything, piss on the bushes. Strong human scent tells the deer and hogs the feeder is working.

I see the situation, I Do Not see the problem!!!!

Too many people over think things!

Get in your stand/blind before daylight, especially if it is DOWN WIND of the feeder, set your ass still and be ready to shoot if a deer you want to shoot walks in, QUIT OVER THINKING the situastion!!!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you can control how you set up your blind to the wind. We are fortunate in a predominate wind direction. It hardly every blows out of the west! So how do you control where the game comes from? Small places you can not spot and stalk. I do know that heavy coveralls rinsed in baking soda works for a little while. You will sweat through after awhile. The rest of the stuff does not work but it does not hurt either. Except maybe your wallet! I built an ozone generator( parts off the internet). Waiting on a battery to do testing. My thought on it is" If I can smell ozone" will the pigs associate the smell to me after a few kills! I understand ozone did make the best dogs unsure for bit longer. All the other stuff did not even slow em down!

Posts: 724 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
This kinda dates me I suppose but back when we could still get 35 mm film I would save the plastic film container ,attach a close pin to it w/ duct tape to put on a limb. Now comes the hard part;getting your wife to give you a used kotex.They're funny about that. But it really works.When the bucks are in rut they will come to the scent. You keep it capped until you are ready to put it on a limb.etc.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn that's a new one. I'll just take you're word on it working.imwould of liked to of been a fly on the wall on that conversation though.