New
Find
Notify
Tools

albino antelope
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

i posted this picture on another thread but the thread is old and i'm not sure everyone would get to see it.
so reposting here,enjoy
its the only albino antelope i've ever seen and i missed her at 300 yds.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
How did you verify it was an albino? Could you see pink eyes and white hooves? Just curious.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i looked at her in the glasses briefly and went to the gun.
she's something other than normal coloration
and i got 2 doe tags for the area.
i'm looking for her,and may be able to better answer your q's in about 30 days tu2

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wyoming has a rifle season for Antelope in July????

Confused

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i shot at this one last year

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah.

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does not look all white to me.Looks brown.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
With the photo at hand, I'd vote "rare" or "odd" in lieu of albino. Nonetheless, still different and interesting.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does not look all white to me.Looks brown.

Interestingly enough, there was a program on the other day about albino-ism. Albino doesn't technically mean solid white, there can still be some pale hues and shading. It's the lack of pigment in the eyes (the pink eyes) that determine if it's truly an albino or just pale.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
Melanistic?

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Melanistic would be black.....I say piebald.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have piebald deer around here.They can be all white or patched brown and white.The patches seem to be more definite and not blended in.I think that Antelope well being different, is neither piebald or albino.Of course that is only my opinion. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I have a buck antelope on my wall that is predominantly white with faded color. Looks nice to me but not an albino. If he had pink eyes when he was alive, they turned brown when he hit the ground.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'm pretty sure its not piebald,
and i only descibe it as albino cause its white where it should be brown and has no black at all
its defenitly different and like i said i've
got 2 doe tags for the area and i'll be looking specifically for her come sept. 1st.
i'll take a bunch of pictures if i "find" her
and share them here.wish me luck.....

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
GOOD LUCK!

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
It might be leucistic.

From Wiki:

Leucism (occasionally spelled leukism) is a general term for the phenotype resulting from defects in pigment cell differentiation and/or migration from the neural crest to skin, hair or feathers during development. This results in either the entire surface (if all pigment cells fail to develop) or patches of body surface (if only a subset are defective) having a lack of cells capable of making pigment.

Since all pigment cell-types differentiate from the same multipotent precursor cell-type, leucism can cause the reduction in all types of pigment. This is in contrast to albinism, for which leucism is often mistaken. Albinism results in the reduction of melanin production only, though the melanocyte (or melanophore) is still present. Thus in species that have other pigment cell-types, for example xanthophores, albinos are not entirely white, but instead display a pale yellow colour.

More common than a complete absence of pigment cells is localized or incomplete hypopigmentation, resulting in irregular patches of white on an animal that otherwise has normal colouring and patterning. This partial leucism is known as a "pied" or "piebald" effect; and the ratio of white to normal-coloured skin can vary considerably not only between generations, but between different offspring from the same parents, and even between members of the same litter. This is notable in horses, cows, cats, dogs, the urban crow[1] and the ball python[2] but is also found in many other species.

A further difference between albinism and leucism is in eye colour. Due to the lack of melanin production in both the retinal pigmented epithelium (RPE) and iris, albinos typically have red eyes due to the underlying blood vessels showing through. In contrast, leucistic animals have normally coloured eyes. This is because the melanocytes of the RPE are not derived from the neural crest, instead an outpouching of the neural tube generates the optic cup which, in turn, forms the retina. As these cells are from an independent developmental origin, they are typically unaffected by the genetic cause of leucism.

Genes that, when mutated, can cause leucism include, c-kit,[3] mitf[4] and ednrb.[5]

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
It might be leucistic.

From Wiki:

Leucism (occasionally spelled leukism) is a general term for the phenotype resulting from defects in pigment cell differentiation and/or migration from the neural crest to skin, hair or feathers during development. This results in either the entire surface (if all pigment cells fail to develop) or patches of body surface (if only a subset are defective) having a lack of cells capable of making pigment.

Since all pigment cell-types differentiate from the same multipotent precursor cell-type, leucism can cause the reduction in all types of pigment. This is in contrast to albinism, for which leucism is often mistaken. Albinism results in the reduction of melanin production only, though the melanocyte (or melanophore) is still present. Thus in species that have other pigment cell-types, for example xanthophores, albinos are not entirely white, but instead display a pale yellow colour.

More common than a complete absence of pigment cells is localized or incomplete hypopigmentation, resulting in irregular patches of white on an animal that otherwise has normal colouring and patterning. This partial leucism is known as a "pied" or "piebald" effect; and the ratio of white to normal-coloured skin can vary considerably not only between generations, but between different offspring from the same parents, and even between members of the same litter. This is notable in horses, cows, cats, dogs, the urban crow[1] and the ball python[2] but is also found in many other species.

A further difference between albinism and leucism is in eye colour. Due to the lack of melanin production in both the retinal pigmented epithelium (RPE) and iris, albinos typically have red eyes due to the underlying blood vessels showing through. In contrast, leucistic animals have normally coloured eyes. This is because the melanocytes of the RPE are not derived from the neural crest, instead an outpouching of the neural tube generates the optic cup which, in turn, forms the retina. As these cells are from an independent developmental origin, they are typically unaffected by the genetic cause of leucism.

Genes that, when mutated, can cause leucism include, c-kit,[3] mitf[4] and ednrb.[5]

Geez thanks for explaining that Ann.it`s perfectly clear now!!! Eeker

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Sorry Olbiker, I didn't mean it to be confusing. I'm by far no expert in genetic terminology either, I am always studying as a poultry breeder (Chicken genetics really suck!). An easier way to visualize this: think of the word Phenotype to mean the way something looks as you see it. Loosely defined: If something is pink and you see that it is pink, that is the Genotype.

It may have plenty of genes (Genotype) that could make it look a variety of colors but what you actually see is the Phenotype.

Genotype, is of course, what genes something posesses. You don't always 'see' what the genes are but they can show up in later offspring.

So back to Phenotype and the way something looks...

Leucistic is sort of the opposite of melanistic. Some animals may look white or really light in color but still have normal colored eyes and skin. They are not albinos, which lack Melanin (normal skin pigments), which have visible pink skin and eyes.

Melanistic refers to overly dark pigmentation, like black squill, all black deer, etc.

Hope this helps explain: The pictured pronghorn seems lighter in color than normal, certainly not much white hair showing where most female antelope bear white patches. It might be odd, such as being leucistic, or, just might be totally normal and just has very little white hair. Maybe it is diseased, etc. No one will know for sure unless a close up look is taken.

So what can we say? Well, it is clearly NOT melanistic, NOT of normal phenotype (tan and white female) and is probably NOT albino.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Sorry Olbiker, I didn't mean it to be confusing. I'm by far no expert in genetic terminology either, I am always studying as a poultry breeder (Chicken genetics really suck!). An easier way to visualize this: think of the word Phenotype to mean the way something looks as you see it. Loosely defined: If something is pink and you see that it is pink, that is the Genotype.

It may have plenty of genes (Genotype) that could make it look a variety of colors but what you actually see is the Phenotype.

Genotype, is of course, what genes something posesses. You don't always 'see' what the genes are but they can show up in later offspring.

So back to Phenotype and the way something looks...

Leucistic is sort of the opposite of melanistic. Some animals may look white or really light in color but still have normal colored eyes and skin. They are not albinos, which lack Melanin (normal skin pigments), which have visible pink skin and eyes.

Melanistic refers to overly dark pigmentation, like black squill, all black deer, etc.

Hope this helps explain: The pictured pronghorn seems lighter in color than normal, certainly not much white hair showing where most female antelope bear white patches. It might be odd, such as being leucistic, or, just might be totally normal and just has very little white hair. Maybe it is diseased, etc. No one will know for sure unless a close up look is taken.

So what can we say? Well, it is clearly NOT melanistic, NOT of normal phenotype (tan and white female) and is probably NOT albino.

Much better tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks Ann, great information.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want to revive this long ago thread with this update. Last weekend a friend of mine killed a toothless old doe in the same area.
She bears a strong resemblance to the missed
"Albino" antelope doe in 2009.
(Sorry for the bloody picture)

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Maybe not a real albino, but cleaned up will be a very interesting trophy. Congratulations to the lucky hunter.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote