New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: shark gun for my boat?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Do yourself a favor and leave the guns and bangsticks at the dock. I have been fishing for sharks for over 20 years and not once has one put his mouth on my boat. There have been times when I have had 35-40 sharks swimming around the boat at one time and never have I had on "attack the boat".
Save the guns for the woods more people get hurt on boats with guns than defend themselves agianst shark attacks.

Posts: 57 | Location: Long Island NY | Registered: 21 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that if you are not going to fish for sharks, there is no reson to have a bang stick on board. I've never heard of a shark attacking a boat. People on boats have problems with sharks when they are fishing for them and don't have the proper equipment or the knowledge on how to land them safely.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Been living near and fishing out on the ocean all my life. Many of my friends make their living on same. I've never heard of a boat worthy of open sea fishing being attacked by a shark...unless the fishermen were foolhardy enough to bring one alive INTO the boat. Silly tourists...

As already mentioned you could bring a SS/Nickel coated firearm onboard if it makes you feel safer though I fail to see a need for it even when hooked.

Our choices are then either:
a) Cut the leader and let him go.
b) Drag 'n drown - With the shark still hooked bring it in close enough to the boat to throw a boat line around the tail. Pull the loop tight around the tail. Attach the boat line to a sturdy cleat. Cut the leader and drag the shark backwards and behind (big ones) or alongside (little ones) the boat. Drowns them in less than 30 minutes.

If it makes you feel better, you can administer a coup 'de grace (with said firearm or bangstick) before or after the dragging.

It's best to keep sharks alongside the boat when returning to the dock. Not just for safety reasons, but because there is more room to walk around in the boat.

one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Hey Danny, don't let all those guys talk you out of having a gun on your small craft. I often time carry my S&W 686 or 629 in my 13-foot aluminum skiff or my 22' glass boat when out fishing for halibut in Alaskan waters. Stainless and compact size are essentials. I keep mine in a 5-gal bucket with one of those after-market screw-on watertight lids. My loads are very light - I use a small charge of Unique with a lead semi-wadcutter.

Here's an interesting sequence for all to check out:

Step 1 - you gotta catch the big one. Here I am, single handed mind you (no help) reeling up a 150# halibut off the stern of a 24-foot Bayliner.

Step 2 - once they are tired out, get the pistol out and get 'em in position to shoot in the head, ideally thru the brain. You don't really want a halibut out of the water. but horizontal with an inch or two of water covering 'em is ideal.

Let 'em have it between the eyes. Usually they twitch and then go stiff. Get the shark hook out and hook 'em solidly thru the mouth. I like to drag a big one to shore, but some folks bring 'em on board and hog-tie them. Alaska regs say you can't fillet them out before you bring 'em back to the dock but that's a bumch of B.S.

Here she is after bringing her ashore:

It's great fun shooting big fish with a handgun!!!!

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Right on MuskegMan!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The best defense against large sharks is a oxygen bottle and a Garand.

Here's to swimm'n with bo'legged women.

I high voltage power line works well too!

Posts: 336 | Location: Alabama, U.S.A. | Registered: 19 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You really don't need a firearm for shark protection - you are in the boat and they are in the water.

Many charter boat captains do carry guns. Guns are usually used to kill sharks on the fishing line so they can be hauled on board without trouble. A lot of sports don't like to have thier fish shot and any fish shot is ineligible for record. A gaff is better and safer.

Most boat captains use whatever is availible and cheap. The BEST boat gun would be something like a stainless steel Mini- thirty or mini-14. Not cheap but could be handy in case you ever need to repel boarders.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Do yourself a favor and leave the guns and bangsticks at the dock. I have been fishing for sharks for over 20 years and not once has one put his mouth on my boat. There have been times when I have had 35-40 sharks swimming around the boat at one time and never have I had on "attack the boat".
Save the guns for the woods more people get hurt on boats with guns than defend themselves agianst shark attacks.

I've got to second the opinion of a fellow Long Islander. After about three decades of shark fishing, I've found no reason to shoot a shark. While I'm not willing to say that a shark will never attack a boat--I think I've heard of it happening on very rare occasions--the odds are so slim that you might as well say it will never happen. Back in '83, about 30 miles south of Montauk, I had a 15-foot white cirling the 20-foot Sea Ox I owned at the time--it almost certainly outweighed boat, engine, fuel, passengers and gear put together--and never felt worried, just awed.

Some anglers shoot sharks next to the boat if they're going to keep them, but I've never seen the point. On the other hand, I've been out on boats where a "lucky" shot (30-30 from, I think, a Savage 340) parted the leader and caused the loss of a fish. I've always found a flying gaff and tailropes sufficient, and I try not to kill anything under 200. If you're determined to shoot, though, a bangstick is the safest, and probably most effective, option.

Now if we were talking really dangerous and obnoxious marine life--say Jet Skis--a 3 1/2" 12 ga. might be the right option, but you've got to be really sure that SSS is a viable alternative...

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
I concur with the others that a bang stick is the safest and most effective for just fish. Boarders are another question, so I keep a .357 or .40 S&W nearby as well. Here on the S. Texas Gulf Coast we have lots of rough characters roaming the offshore, but that is another story.

One question: Is a bang stick classified as a handgun, long gun, or other? Therefore, what would the ramifications be for making my own in my shop?

-CH

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, bang sticks work on boarders too. Always was surprised they weren't more popular in the ghettos. In truth, I think the best reason for a gun on a boat is the same one you justify one in your home with, homo sapiens. Never was there a more vicious animal...
Carrying firearms in the Caribbean Sea is SOP due to the drug trade but there probably isn't much concern for that off Montauck or in Sweden. Whatever...

I'm aware of two instances of a shark attacking boats, both in or very near Sebastian Inlet, just south of Cape Canaveral, Fl. It is only my opinion but I believe it was the same shark, a large White, that had been hanging around a bit. First boat was a small sport fishing rig anchored in the inlet. I speculate the prop on the I/O was windmilling in the current as a cause. The event lasted long enough for the owner to make several mayday calls as the beasty mauled his lower unit. He had to be towed to the ramp, and the incident was reported in the local paper. The second was a treasure salvage vessel, a tug of about 60'. The were preparing to begin operation after setting the four anchors, the large prop ticking over at idle as the deflector was being lowered into place. Big "ker-chunk" and then silence, the big diesel silent. a debris strike was suspected, but the investigating diver quickly returned on deck babbling about the large bite scratches on the prop. I worked one summer on another boat with two guys who were onboard that day. Time frame was in the late 60's to early 70's, not sure of actual dates. The shark accredited with this bad attitude was a regular visitor to that area for 8-10 years, then vanished. Saw it personally on one occasion and estimated it's size in the 15-18' range.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Digital Dan--

Up here, we make a distinction between a shark chewing on the boat a bit out of curiosity and an "attack". Sharks always chew a little--some days, it's easier to get them to bite the prop than the bait, particularly with outboards--but in my mind, an attack means something with a bit more follow-through. Closest thing I ever heard of to an attack up here was when some anglers hooked up to a big mako--estimated between 400 and 600--from an outdrive-powered sportfisherman, and had to maneuver on the fish. At one point, the shark charged the boat, grabbed the prop, stalling the engine, and then broke off shortly thereafter. Even there, though, as in the instances you relate, there was no real risk to the people onboard. As you stated, Homo sapiens is a far bigger threat although, so far as I know, not this far north.

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whiteeagle brought up a good point, best firearm to use on jet skiers. 12 gauge magnum would be good but may not have enough range. Machine gun probably better.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote