New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Trophy Animal Discovered!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

Posts: 67070 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I noticed that's an old specimen. Way past its prime, I doubt it was still in the breeding pool. You can generally, but not always, tell by the mane. I understand however, that among this species there are what would otherwise be prime breeding males who avoid mating. Would these be considered prime trophies or should they be culled? How does one rate a trophy? Who would be an expert on this?

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
My thesis director for my Master's in Forestry said that if we really wanted to help out Mother Nature, every other one of us would go outside and blow our brains out. He, however, would never draw for beans .

F.Y.I., drawing beans is from a story about Bigfoot Wallace, from the Mexican-American War I believe, where POWs of the Mexican Army where made to draw beans out of a clay pot. Those that drew white beans lived, those that drew black beans were shot.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If thats a lawyer, this is going to catch on big time!

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The drawing of the beans was from the Texas war for independence from Mexico. IIRC Colonel Fannin's troops were captured at Goliad. Those drawing black beans were shot by their captors (the Mexican Army).

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote