New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Old Man is gonna do it !
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My 74 year old dad just told me he's booked for a first rate 1x1 elk hunting trip this fall w/ Bob Fontana in British Columbia. It's a 6x6 area and successs runs very high.

He and I hadn't booked a trip for a couple years for one reason or another. He said, to hell with it, he's feeling good and is gonna do this while he's able to.

Kinda makes me proud.

Posts: 199 | Location: North Central Indiana | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steiny:
My 74 year old dad just told me he's booked for a first rate 1x1 elk hunting trip this fall w/ Bob Fontana in British Columbia. It's a 6x6 area and successs runs very high.

He and I hadn't booked a trip for a couple years for one reason or another. He said, to hell with it, he's feeling good and is gonna do this while he's able to.

Kinda makes me proud.

Good for him. My father's 80 this year and put in for Montana deer tags. If we get drawn today we'll put in for antelope also ( we might anyway ).

Tom

Posts: 14610 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That means there is hope for all of us. I thought maybe I had five more years of good hunting. Maybe the number is closer to twenty after reading this.

Posts: 13867 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Steiny
The only thing better is for you to go with him!
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great for him!! Hope he gets one. There is a pride in your Dad harvesting something. [Big Grin]

My Dad is going turkey hunting for the first itme this year. I am going to try to increase his odds by calling for him. HE hasn't been hunting as much as of late either and this was a surprise.

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I was to hunt B.C. for anything I would book with Fontana/Lancaster.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great! Hope he kills a good bull.

Like someone else said, the only thing better would be if you went with him.

My dad is 74 years old as well and he and I have booked a rather high dollar elk hunt down in New Mexico again for this fall. Really looking forward to it!

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
R Flowers, where in New Mexico did you book???
Good for your father, please keep us posted on his hunt....I hope I'm able to have that much sand at his age....made my day hearing about that....sakofan... [Smile]

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sakofan, my dad and I have booked with H & S Trophy Hunts. It right next to the Jicarria Indian Reservation.

We went there year before last and had a good hunt even though the conditions were sort of messed up. The weather was TOO nice, not even any frost in the morning. The moon was full, the bulls were in the timber by daylight pretty much.
One guide broke his leg, another twisted his back.
But, we had a good time. I managed to shoot a small raghorn bull on the fourth day. My father did not get one.

The outfitter talked him into coming down last fall and giving it another try. Dad shot a hell of a big five point that was probably an old bull that had been a better trophy at one time, but was going down hill in the antler department.

So, we are going back in October to try it again.
I can hardly wait.

My dad is in GOOD shape. We hunt together a lot here in CA and I can barely keep up with him. He has taken much younger guys from work hunting and they have told me it took them days to recover.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Great!

Good luck!

If you haven't been to BC before, i'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who at 80 years old, took a 6x6 with a bow and arrow. I'm determined to make it to 81 to try to one-up him.

one of us
posted Hide Post
R Flowers, Ive heard good things about that area for nice elk, just hope I can pull a 180-200 class mule deer out of Raton this year...The outfitter seems to think that the elk population is the best in years, but concured with you on the warm weather being a hinderence....here's to snow in Nov. this year...sakofan...

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steiny, if at all possible I'd try to go with him if I were you; My dad took me hunting when I was 5 years old, and I've been going for the last 31 years. Now my dad no longer really enjoys hunting, and doesn't care to go. Although I'm eternally grateful that he got me into it, it would sure be nice if I could still go hunting with him!!!!!!!!

Craig

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
It looks like you guys have the right idea. The most enduring good times of my life were hunting with my dad, fishing with HIS dad or sailing with my mother's dad. Seems like I can always look back on those times when times are rough and get a big smile.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dad got me started and we've been on a buttload of hunts. Been to Alaska a couple times, out west a bunch and hunted a whole lot around home.
We're going to Canada fishing in June.

Circumstances are such, business a bit slow, etc. this year, daughter closing in on college next year, so I simply can't do any high buck outfitted hunts this year. Thrilled to death that he's going.

We'll have our fishing trip in June and hunt around home a bit this fall, so I'll still spend some quality outdoor time with him.

You know what's funny .... I have three other brothers who were raised doing the same things, yet none of them could give a hoot about hunting or fishing anymore. I also have a teenage son who has had tons of hunting and fishing opportunity, yet he could take it or leave it.
This stuff just aint for everybody. Guess that's what makes it special.

Posts: 199 | Location: North Central Indiana | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steiny, that's great, enjoy it. I lost my deer hunting partner (Dad) a few months ago at age 79. He never gave up the desire to go hunting.

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yahoo. We got drawn for Montana mule deer. Pop is going, God willing.

Tom

Posts: 14610 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote