New
Find
Notify
Tools

Forty days to Newfoundland!
 Login/Join

<GAHUNTER>
posted
Actually, its 39 days from today that I'll be leaving on a jet plane for a moose/caribou/bear combo hunt in the island province. I'll be hunting with Ironbound Outfitters out of Deer Lake.

Anyone had any experience hunting in Newfoundland? I know the conditions will be wet and rough with long hikes over tundra and bog. That's why I have spent the last six months with a personal trainer trying to get into shape. Beyond that, however, I have no idea what to expect. I sure would like some input from someone who has hunted there.

How 'bout it guys: what's it going to be like?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good rain gear is a must as you'll live in it, at least the pants most of the day. That tanglefoot brush, or what ever else you want to call it, is wet all the time. I wore rubber boots for 2 days, then switched to my 12" Danners for the extra ankle support, and they are much lighter.

As far as clothes, I took my Goretex bow hunting gear, and dressed in layers as needed. It rained/snowed/sleeted almost everyday. Then there was one day it hit about 65deg, so prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

We did a lot of walking everyday and I stress a lot. There is noway to get from ridge to ridge without a long walk, around/thru some of the nastiest stuff I've ever seen.

Good binoculars are also a must. You'll be looking thru them as much as you walk. We pretty much hiked up to a high spot and would glass for a hour or so, then head off to another ridge. Fun part was when you spotted a moose a mile or so way, then try to figure a way to get to him. Bogs,rocks, rivers, creeks, woods, and that god forsaken brush, are everywhere in NF. You'll love it.

But,I'm a slow learner as I leave the 26th of Sept. for moose again. Then when I'm done cursing by weeks end, I'll book again for 2004.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Yeah...pretty much like Al said,and you will love
it.I believe Newfie guides are some of the best.
Very fun hunt.Odds are not good for a monster bull
though.Have a great experience.
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Madddman>
posted
Good luck with it.I'm leaving the 22 of Sept for Caribou in Nfld also.
Gonna chase them with my Recurve.
Mad

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you travel south of Deer Lake to the southwest quadrant of Newfoundland, it is all wet tundra there. There is water even on the ridges. Wear a pair of rubber boots. I have Chameau leather lined ones. They were perfect.

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forum leader, please delete double post.

[ 08-20-2002, 17:05: Message edited by: Wayne Nish ]

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Phil R>
posted
I've hunted Newfoundland several times and really enjoyed the experience. I took two pair of LaCrosse knee high, ankle tight rubber boots and one pair of leather, goretex boots which I never used. The hunting ares were mostly bog and the knee highs were the only way to go. I also took two sets of raingear.If you hit rain for several days, it's nice to be able to rotate to a dry set each day. It's a great hunt...you'll love it!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, all the advice you've been given is good, also pack the higest Deet content insect repellant you can find. if it warms up, the mosquitoes are nasty. On you're way back, I assume you'll fly through St.John's, so if you have the time, hit Guy street. Kind of their own little strip, so to speak. You'll have a good time though, Newfies are some of the best people on the planet. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Harald>
posted
It could be blazing hot. I hunted there during mid September last year and it was never cool. I got a nasty sunburn the first day from walking around in my light camo shirt, plaid flannel boxer shorts & 16 in Bean boots like some misbegotten refugee from Braveheart. Bring some warm weather clothes just in case. It does tend to rain like the days of Noah. Also bring some gear for cleaning and weatherproofing your rifle. RIG grease is good to protect metal, but don't get it in the bore (dangerous).

If you get there before the rut you will likely not see herds of animals. In either case you will almost certainly have to cover lots of territory (many miles a day) to find your quarry.

I hope none of you is booked with Bill Bryden or Valley Lake Lodge. If so, be advised that these characters occasionally conduct themselves in a dubious, and probably illegal, manner. Be prepared for disorganization, extremely poor outfitting and very few game animals in the area. Hold their feet to the fire to get your money's worth and good luck!

[ 08-21-2002, 04:04: Message edited by: Harald ]

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Good luck on your hunt !! I've got nothing to add but I'm thinking of a Newfoundland trip next year for moose & caribou. What should I budget for a hunt like this ?

Posts: 600 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob, I went thru Moose Valley Outfitters and this one is a gift, but $2700 + 300 for license, has been leaked out, for moose. Plus still have to get there and back.

We drove last time, $300 in gas, ferry was $250cdn. round trip, 1 nite in a hotel there, and shirts for the kids.

BTW, you might want to be booking now, I know that these guys are booked for next year and about 1/2 filled for 2004.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<bigcountry>
posted
Bob, I too am heading there this year with Viking Trail Outfitters same time as GAHunter. I suggest interviewing a few outfitters and waiting after Oct. 7th or so until me or him get back to give you a recommendation from one or both of our outfitters. There are alot of horror stories from Newfoundland on outfitters.

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Sounds good to me Bigcountry--- Good luck & post some photo's & your report ! Good luck

Posts: 600 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bring a pair of Gum boots, you'll see all the newfies wearing them.

What did the hunt cost?

Have fun the newfies are fun loving folks

rh

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote