THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    CZ 550, Vanguard, or Tikka T3 as next deer rifle.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 550, Vanguard, or Tikka T3 as next deer rifle.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If you were given the choice of these three rifles and your choice of one caliber that each manufacturer made which would you pick and why? Im looking for ideas for my next deer rifle. My first choice would be the CZ. I like the looks but i dont really know what calibers they make. Then the Tikka in a 7mm, and finally the Vanguard in .300wsm.

Posts: 121 | Location: Central VA | Registered: 13 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
actually disregard the choices of 7mm and .300 wsm. I intended this thread to read my long range deer/varmint rifle. I apologize. i wanted the .240 weatherby but that is out of the question for the moment unless i find a used one. any other calibers in the above rifles. Im not even sure that Vanguard offers a varmint caliber. Im sorry, Any idea's?

Posts: 121 | Location: Central VA | Registered: 13 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If weight is important go with the Tikka T3 Lightweight. Otherwise its a wash. In terms of quality I'd think CZ is on the short end of that stick and Weatherby and Tikka are about on par with each other. The CZ, while functional, will not be as smooth operating or nicely finished as the other two.
I like and own two CZ rifles...but based on your criteria I'd have to say Tikka...better trigger out of the box. Excellent reputation for accuracy. About the only thing I'm not all that enthusiastic about when it comes to Tikka is the detachable box magazine.
If you want a deer/varmint rig I'd say something like a 25-06, 243, or even a .270 win/wsm.

[ 10-28-2003, 13:32: Message edited by: Kentucky Nimrod ]

Posts: 457 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go the other way and say after handling a Tikka T3 and being the owner of 5 cz's I would opt for the cz any day. The trigger on thhe cz's in my opinion are great there alright out of the box and if you push thr trigger forwards it is set on hair trigger great for target work !!

There was just to much plastic on the T3's for me. The cz's are also of Mauser Styling and thus are control round feed if that is worth something to you.A smith can give the rails a little polish if needed but my cz's are getting smoother the more I work the bolt.

As far as calibres go for a deer rifle I would choose;

7x57 mauser
6.5x55 swedish masuer (first choice)
or if you want standard rounds .270 or 30/06

[ 10-28-2003, 14:58: Message edited by: PC ]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John17,
I know this is not listed as one of your options, but I would choose the 270 win for a deer/varmit caliber.

I would also choose a ruger M77 MkII (with sights) these rifles in the standard caliber are cheaper than either of the three you mentioned. I pick the Ruger because CZ does not offer a 270 win with open sights to us Americans. And the Ruger is a smoother action. CZ has better trigger.

CZ does offer a 6.5x54 wich would be a great deer/varmit caliber.

Never have liked Weatherby -- Just to flashy for me, I guess.

David

Posts: 355 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: 07 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the Tikka, except for the detachable mag. I don't like anything that limits me to a certain COL. But I do have a Tikka in 22-250 and it shoots pretty good. For the money it was a good buy. I don't have much info on the CZ, but everything I have read says they are decent rifles. Vangards seem a little cheap feeling to me, but no first hand experiences with them. My 2 cents.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the discontinued Tikka Whitetail Hunter. I don't know how the T3 compares, but if it comes close, that would be my first choice. I'm playing with the idea of buying one in .270, and for deer that would be my recommendation of the options you listed. Deer and varmints might make me drop down to a .25-06. .243 would be fine for varmints, but I'd like a bit more bullet for longer-range deer.

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CZ in 7x57 or 6.5x55. Or 270. The 6.5 might be the way to go if you handload. 100 gr Ballistic tips for varmints, 140 gr Partitions for deer.

Of course, Elmer Keith did say that the 270 is a damned adequate coyote round, so you might consider it, also. [Wink]

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started a thread titled "Tikka T3" in the "Medium Bore Rifle" catagory. It has alot of information on it. I am also interested in one of these rifles but have not been able to look at or handle one as of yet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Of what you are looking at a CZ550 in 300win. would be the 1
The T3 I saw is no old Tikka , yuck
The Vanguard is okay , buy the Howa , same gun for less $$$.
For a new LR deer/ Varmit by a M70 in .270 WSM

ED

Posts: 174 | Location: U.S.A | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've examined enough CZ 550s to say they would be my third choice.

1) Tikka T3
2) Howa 1500
3) CZ 550

And I'm a satisfied Howa owner.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CZ is my first choice. 6.5x55
Own a bunch of rifles of various makes, CZ is a workhorse,not a show pony. OR mod.70. in 25.06 (own both)

Posts: 202 | Location: davenport, iowa | Registered: 31 January 2003Reply With Quote
<thomas purdom>
posted
For me, I would select the CZ any day. The trigger as PC mentioned is great and easily adjustable, and the smoothness of the bolt on my CZs is just fine with me. Accuracy on both CZs I own is amazing. Calibers the CZ 550 comes in are:
* .22/250
* 6.5x55mm
* 7x57mm
* 7x64mm
* .30/06
* 9.3x62mm
For the requirements you list, the 6.5x55mm would be a good choice. I have never owned a Tikka, so will not comment on them. The CZs I have already mentioned. I did own a Howa 1500 a while back and the comparison betwen the Howa and CZ is, well, there is no comparison. To me, the CZ is just a lot better rifle and more rifle for the money. That is not to say the Howa is a bad rifle. I owned a Model 340 Savage once that simply would not shoot, no matter what was done to it. I will not say all Savages are lousy because of that one rifle. Nor will I say that all CZs are the best because of the two I own. I post a lot about CZs because I have had good experience with them, however, CZs are the rifles of MY preference. Other's are certainly entitled to their opinions (though they are wrong [Big Grin] ). Bottom line, if it were me sitting in your shoes, I'd go the CZ 550 American in 6.5x55mm. Tom Purdom

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Orion,

Please enlighten me on the T3. I am a sako/tikka fan, but am undecided on the T3. I have seen but 1, didn't have the opportunity to handle hit much less operate it. All I have to go by is the article in American Rifleman. From what I saw that bolt handle arrangement is scary. I may be pessamistic (slight understatment) but I have seen to many multi-piece bolt failures. i.e. sauer, savage, rem.

I am interested and hopeful about others take on this.

ED

Posts: 174 | Location: U.S.A | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a T3 this spring and love the thing. Like Thomas, I don't have much experience with the others, so all I can comment on is the Tikka. The T3 is a 308, so with the long action, OAL is no problem (regarding the removable mag). Also, I like a removable mag as a feature. I'm not crazy about the plastic trigger guard. But the light, crisp pull makes me forgive them. In fact, the plastic guard is my main grievance with the T3. Others include the awful fit of the pad and the plastic dirt shield on the back of the bolt. Good points are much more numerous, but my favorites are: accuracy (imperative: shoots under 1" and is very consistant), weight (this is my fiance's gun, so the lighter it is, the less I have to carry two!), balance (it is one of those rifles that just feels good when you shoulder it, to me and others), bolt (it is easy to field strip for problems--have not had any--and is as smooth as silk), light, stiff stock (makes my Browning synthetic look like a wet noodle). The trigger and its range of adjustment is not to be overlooked, either. The quality/price of the gun speaks for itself: I have 3 friends who say a tikka will be their next rifle after shooting with me, and I am a little jealous of it when I go out.

Good luck. From the sound of things, you won't make a mistake whatever you choose and it'll probably come down to calibers offered and feel/look of the gun.

Posts: 159 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 11 December 2002Reply With Quote