New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Hampshire Moose Hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What are the best areas to apply for in New Hampshire's moose draw? I've never applied in New Hampshire before, but I've been applying in Maine for 8 or 9 years. Thanks.

Craig

Posts: 530 | Location: Kulpmont, PA | Registered: 31 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty much all you need to know, including success rates, can be found here:

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/Moose_hunt/Moose_lottery_app_2003.pdf

Average success statewide for '01-'02 was some 68%. Generally, hunting success rates are best in the state from the top down, though people do score even in the southernmost areas. Score a tag anywhere around the Pittsburg area and you're about as close to a sure thing as possible; crawling with them up there. Good luck.

Leighton (who after a few years still hasn't hit for a non-res tag, but is ever hopeful )

P.S. I think the due date for application has already passed, but not sure.

Posts: 142 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 15 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leighton,

Thanks for the info. Before your reply was posted I took a gamble and just guessed on the zones. I guess I guessed right, because my choices went north to south. The deadline for on-line application is May 28, so there is still a few days left. Good luck to you and me both on the draw. Maybe lightening will strike me this year and I'll draw both NH and Maine.

Craig

Posts: 530 | Location: Kulpmont, PA | Registered: 31 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Craig,

I'm originally from Maine and have tried to keep tabs on the moose hunt since it started. If you draw ME or NH quiz as many guides as you can. The guys in the know can find you a bruiser of a moose. You don't need to settle for a 36 incher. Maine puts bulls in the B&C books every year and the hunting just keeps getting better.

Good Luck,

Mark

Posts: 12876 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Craig,

you have about four days to apply for the VT expanded moose drawing. The swamp donkeys are said to be wreaking havoc in the NE Kingdom of VT via overpopulation, and for this year they have expanded the tags available, thereby increasing success rates in the lottery for both res and non. 25 bones for a shot. Thought I'd mention it.

Cheers,

Leighton

Posts: 142 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 15 May 2003Reply With Quote