THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Escanaba by the Moonlight- Great Fun Movie

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Escanaba by the Moonlight- Great Fun Movie
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If anyone wants to see a hilarious movie on video
check out Escanaba by the Moonlight with Jeff Daniels.

It is about deer hunting camp on the Upper Penisula of Michigan ( Up on Dah U.P.) for you non upper midwestern types. It is pretty good sarcasm about deering hunting up there.

Right down to the Weapons each hunter carries is matched to that type of personality. It was definitely written by a hunter who had to be from Michigan. [Big Grin] [Razz] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I got the DVD last fall and even my buddies that don't hunt laughed their butts off ...
the buckless yooper
bambi's best friend

WHISKEY CHASER

yes there is drinking, but the movie does not portray hunters as drunkin buffoons - I love hunting too much to drink anything more than a beer or two on the night before a day of hunting and would not buy a movie that cast hunters in that light

Posts: 4 | Location: Stafford, VA USA | Registered: 03 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not call Jeff Daniels a hunter by any definition. He is from Michigan though (Chelsea just west of Ann Arbor).

Personally, I think the movie it the worst movie I have ever seen - regardless of topic/plot. I walked out of the play and received the DVD as a "gag" gift for Christmas last year. I gave the DVD the benefit of the doubt and watched it - then burned it - it was actually worse than the play. The ONLY people who I know that have thought the play or movie were funny were non-hunters. Jeff Daniels may have starred in "Dumb and Dumber" but this is his "Dumbest" movie ever - and that is giving him way too much credit.

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn,I didn't know Rodger Ebert posted here!

Brian.

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the movie is a lot of fun. Great parody, and not that far from the truth about some deer camps up here....

-Fred

Posts: 207 | Location: Nicolet National Forest, WI, USA | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to sound like Roger E. but that movie is so damn bad it is really hard not to use language our host would not approve of. I swear, that is the WORST movie I ever saw.

Posts: 870 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with doublegun....it's one of, if not THE worst movie I've ever seen.......it was definitely a waste of money to rent it!

[ 06-05-2003, 04:20: Message edited by: GonHuntin ]

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dumb and dumber was much worse. I walked out of it at the theater, then tried to watch it again on a borrowed tape. had to turn it off.
I have a friend from the u.p., and she thought escanaba was too funny.

Posts: 345 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It's wasn't what I expected.. and I went out of my way to find and buy a copy just to see it. I was a bit disapointed in it (mostly because of what I'd heard about it... it was nothing like I'd expected). There's quite a bit of funny stuff though.. and it's the kind of movie that grows on you if you let it. I found myself thinking about a part and laughing about it a week or more later. ("Mashevyshookashit" didn't do much for me when I saw it, but a couple weeks later it popped into my head and gave me a good laugh). I've seen it about 3 times (on my 'puter while doing other things) and I kind like it now.

[ 06-05-2003, 05:19: Message edited by: cas ]

Posts: 723 | Location: Ny | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote