New
Find
Notify
Tools

tape over the bbl affect POI ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, I've heard it said both ways...that tape could adversely affect accuracy and POI; however, in reading the post about caring for wet and cold rifles, it looks as though tape doesn't have an effect. Time to set the record straight. Who, out of all of you have used tape over their barrels, and did it affect accuracy and POI?

Posts: 264 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 12 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have, and it doesn't affect the POI at all.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I can't remember the last time I Hunted an UNtaped muzzle.

I've punched paper both near and far and have not found a POI shift due to it,on any of my rifles.

Tape Fan here....................

one of us
posted Hide Post
what kind of tape?

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I have about 6 wraps of electric tape around the end of my barrel. When I shoot, I just tear off a small piece and re-tape the end of my barrel. Kind of like a small portable roll of tape.

It does not effect the poi on any of my guns .. even if it did, it can't be much, not enough to make me stop this practice.

I use electric tape but I have also used duct tape.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use electral tape. Use to rap the muzzel of the barrel, but when you would shoot you had to stop, unrap the tape and then rerap it.
I made a punch on my lathe that cut 5/8in. circles. I punch about 6 or 8 circles and stick them on the side of my scopes. When you shoot you just peel one off the scope and stick it on the end of your barrel. Much neater then rapping tape around the muzzel.

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
doesn't affect any of my guns either, not even the 22's.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
444shooter... Though I have seen no Hi-speed film of this, it is in my thought process that the tape will "blow off" before the bullet reaches the end of the muzzle. This would be meaningless to changing any measurable POI shift.
take care
sf

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gents,
I had my rifle barrel taped every time I went out for years.
Have never used at range to sight-in. .338 dead on at range @200 yards...took Dall Sheep at 300 yards with the 200 gr. ballistic tip Nosler. Aimed 7" high...the sheep died. Had sheep ribs for dinner last night. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Not very scientific, I know. Tape worked fine. I only use one piece of tape over crown and then wrap it down with 3 wraps. Tape is a necessity for "Alaska sunshine!"
best,
bhtr

Posts: 223 | Location: Soldotna, Alaska | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
O'k, there's supposed to be alittle blast of gas around the bullet before it seals off in the rifling. This may or may not blow a hole in the tape before the bullet gets there but electrical tape always seemed a bit tough an elastic for that to happen but whether or not it does, nobody's complaining about any ill effects. Celephane/serandwrap(sp) should work too aslong as you don't poke it through some brush.

one of us
posted Hide Post
leo... good point, but also remember that there is a full brl length, column of air ahead of the bullet. When the bullet does "seal" the brl this column of air has no where to go but to get forced out.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Not even considering the gas emitted from the cartridge (which is behind the bullet mostly, anyway), remember there's a column of air trapped in that barrel between your bullet and the taped end.

So, most barrels being 22" long, there's roughly a 20" column of air that has to go somewhere if the bullet is to escape the barrel. That air is what pushes the tape off the end, not the bullet.

Believe me, the bullet and the tape never come close to meeting.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a rifle with a muzzle break?

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I tape the muzzle all the time and never experienced a POI shift. To be sure, I once fired a group from the bench, taping the muzzle for a shot in between. I couldn't tell that one from the other holes in the target. My belief is that the air column in front of the bullet perforates the tape before the bullet reaches it.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tradewinds:
How about a rifle with a muzzle break?

Not to be a smart alic, but to cover up a brake (esp. the can style) put a condom over the end of the barrel, or a cheap balloon, that way you can cover the end and all the ports easly but still not have to worry about chaing the POI.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
I have used the cheap kids balloons for years. One package lasts years. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the tape many times with no change in POI.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I prefer orange or yellow balloons. I keeps you aware of where that muzzle is pointed at all times. [Wink]

[ 10-27-2002, 18:20: Message edited by: Bear Claw ]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the tape for years (black electrical tape) and have found no differance in POI. I have also found the piece of tape after shooting, and it has no bullet holes in it, so I believe it is the compressed air column from the barrel that pushes off the tape. -Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Budweiser>
posted
I have used black electrical tape for years.This practice has kept dirt and snow out of my barrels
when hunting. This is the best protection I think you can have. Just my two cents worth.

Straight Shooting
Budweiser

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Electrical tape. The bullet never touches the tape. No differences between "taped" and "untaped" shots. I won't hunt without it.

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been taping the muzzle of my rifles with electrical tape for 30 or more years now, and have never noted any detrimental effects to accuracy from it. I concur with those who suggest that the bullet never actually touches the tape, but that the air column ahead of the bullet removes the tape before the bullet reaches it. Definitely a far better situation than having something inadvertently get "in" the barrel while hunting. Regards, Eagleye.

Posts: 113 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Electric tape for me too..I've seen in sportign goods stores packets of "muzzle condoms"

They are basically rubber finger cots, but they are selling 12 for about $5! Some folks will buy anything...

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote