Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo in the TuffPack?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

Am headed to Texas for a pig hunt. Don't need any more space than is available in a TuffPack for the trip. Is it OK to put ammo (in appropriate slip top boxes) in the TuffPack with the rifles?

thanks,

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TSA regs say you can. Some airlines will let you do it, some not. Check airline website and if they will let you, bring a copy of the printout that says so.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
United does not permit ammunition in the same case, but Continental did last January.

Check the baggage policy of your airline; it should be accessible from their web site.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
If your airline doesn't allow it, just mail your ammo to your outfitter or other contact in Texas. Maybe even two shipments to make sure at least some of it is waiting for you when you get there. Just a thought...

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i was on northwest air' yesterday. they will not allow ammo and guns together.

they are not the only ones either.

for security, it is a bad idea as well.

cold zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
I fly to Canada every year . NorthWest Airlines doesn't allow it. It must be split.

Posts: 134 | Location: Eastern,USA | Registered: 03 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
By the way some friends flew Continental last week and they required two locks on every gun case. To the point they would not allow one gun case on the aircraft.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm new to the TuffPak world (just got one for Christmas and haven't used it yet), so bear with me. How in the heck would you get two locks on one? Use a chain?

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been flying Northwest for years and they have always allowed ammo in the same case as the gun. As long as it is in factory carton or a hard case. According to the Northwest airlines website they still do. They have asked me wether it is factory or reloded ammo. I was told they do not allow reloaded ammunition on the plane. I could not confirm this in the web site. I always tell them it is Factory ammo. (Most of th time it is) I have never had a problem.

My advice is to find the rules for your airlin on the airline web site. Print them out and take them with you to the airport. I have ran into ticket agents that do not know the rules.

Posts: 32 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Delta insisted it be in two separate parsels when I flew out of Minneapiolis. SAA put the ammo in the tuffpak for me.

I swear amny people at the airlines baggage claims don't know their own policies.

The advise to ship the ammo in advance is a spectacular one.....To Texas you should be able to get that done.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
For the 99th time, go to the airline's web site. Locate their baggage policy. Search for 'firearms', 'ammunition', and/or 'dangerous goods'. Print the page(s). Bring them with you to the airport, and show them to the ticket agent.

When you are 'armed' with a printout of their own policies, ticket agents will do the right thing.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
george;

where in nyc metro are u.

are u an s.c.i. member?

are u a master measurer?

hit me offline.

cold zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
DesertRam. I will put a small lock on the soft case and then lock inside the tough pack. Also last year on American we had 2 Rifles and 2 Shotguns in the Tuffpak. According to the Ticket Agent only 3 Guns per case. As George S pointed out I had a copy of there website instructions which did not mention how many guns per case. She handed me her printout that said only three guns per case! Luckily they where real busy and we where real nice to her and she let us go. Of course comming back no one said anything about three gun limit. so i guess you need to be prepared for anything.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Well, I'm new to the TuffPak world (just got one for Christmas and haven't used it yet), so bear with me. How in the heck would you get two locks on one? Use a chain?

You can't, nor is it a policy of that airline -- just a bunch of garbage made up by the ignorant or untrained. We are trying to work with the airlines to get some of this nonsense fixed.

John Frazer
NRA Federal Affairs.

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I flew out of JFK in Oct and asked if I could put a second amount of ammo in with my rifle and they said "no", at which point I asked the TSA person there and they said "no", ammo must be separate from your rifles. This was after "check-in" at the airlines counter. I personally do not like to start off a trip by scrapping with the airlines folks, but maybe some people don't mind...

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I flew out of JFK in Oct and asked if I could put a second amount of ammo in with my rifle and they said "no", at which point I asked the TSA person there and they said "no", ammo must be separate from your rifles.

Another case of (surprise) TSA employees not knowing their own rules, and the 143rd reason to carry a copy of their own policies from their website, which CLEARLY state that you can put ammo in the gun case (if the airline allows it).