New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black Diamond or Kodiak 209 Magnum
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I been looking at muzzleloaders all weekend and plan to order or buy one this week, these two are pretty much in the price range of what I want to spend. Again I'm looking for a rifle to deer hunt with in Alabama and maybe take on a elk and/or black bear hunt. Of the two which would you say is better? Whats the pros and cons of each? Heres my thoughts.

Kodiak 209 magnum with the nickel barrel:
The pros for it is its the cheaper of the two, at $210. It also has the pivot block action, which from what I've read, is easier to clean. The cons, its a nickel barrel.

The Black Diamond XR with s/s barrel.
The pros, the barrel is stainless steel. It comes with the flamethrower ignition system, that allows you to shoot the musket cap, No. 11 cap and the 209 primer. I'm not sure but that may make it legal in more states.
The cons, at $300 its $90 more than the Kodiak and it could be some what harder to clean.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go with the TC they are well made.The cva muzzeloaders are pieces of junk.The cva company recalls alot of its inlines every year.I have use a TC renegade .50 for 25 years.I wore out the fly in the hammer and TC sent me all new parts free.That was after shooting it well over a 1000 times.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Hold out for a used Thompson Omega. Mine is a tack driver.

It will break your heart, but I got one on clearance at wally world a few weeks ago for about $270 + tax!!!!!

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3103 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
$270,Damn that was a good deal!!! I'd like to find 2 for that price.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with dgr416, I had the Black Diamond which shot well, gave it to a buddy and went to the Encore. I like the Encore a little more (just styling really) but the Black Diamond shot just as well which is to say around an inch at 100 yds in 50 cal. My encore in 45 shoots just under an inch if I do my part.

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How does the gas vent on the Encore? I"ve looked at NEF muzzleloader and sort of like it but it vents gas on the right side. Which could by a problem for left handed shooters.