Find
Notify
Tools

Question about Diseased Deer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My daughter got a deer!!!
But when gutting the deer I found there to be possible infection. Discovered white "pus pockets" of about the size 3-8mm in diameter. Covering the lungs completly, and some on the liver. Asked around nobody really had ever heard or seen of such a thing. One possible explanation was that it could possibly be "liver fluke". But when I did some research, it resembled nothing of the sort. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you Jim the Plumber,
509-884-1000

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like that one will not be eaten. What it could be I do not know but I would not eat it.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
What state do you live in Jim? I would suggest contacting your DWR for questions.

Posts: 10159 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I would just have the deer mounted and stay away from the meat to be safe. I have heard of deer that were shot, wounded, and survived and they had pus where the injury was. Maybe a poacher shot at the deer with a shotgun?

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Sure sounds like Tuberculosis. You can have the brain tested for positive ID. Your state DNR would want to know if the deer had TB as well. I would dicard the meat.

Some areas of my state require mandatory testing of deer killed by hunters to test for Bovine TB.

Posts: 19234 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
TB is what sprang to my mind as well...I would fallow Anns advise and get it tested. There are many diseases in deer which don't render the carcass unfit for human consumption once it has been cooked...again I would take advise on this if you *really* want to eat this animal.

Another thing to consider is that if this is a TB, some types are transmitable to humans and there is a good chance that who ever gutted the carcass has been exposed to it...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote