THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    3rd Day of Turkey hunting South Carolina

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3rd Day of Turkey hunting South Carolina
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted
I don't know how many Gobbler Getters there are on this forum. But I figured it's a good story anyhow.

South Carolina has a five bird two bird per day season. Thank goodness. Opening Day God smiled on me, I really lucked out and got two mature birds with one shot. Both with 10in Beards and 1 inch spurs. I made the local paper and was elevated to status of folk hero for awhile Smiler. That alone would make any turkey hunter's season.

If I didn't see another bird the rest of the season I could absolutely say God blessed me with a successful turkey season. However, the first Sat after opening day, I saw God had more in store for me. I found myself in the situation with two mature gobblers in range once again. A third just out of range and sight gobbling his head off and "Old broadbeard" within 120yds breeding a hen. I took the biggest of the two. He had a 10 3/4" beard and 1 inch spurs.

I took Easter Weekend off because I had a doctor's appointment Good Friday and needed to be at my sister in laws 4hrs away for Easter. On another farm my good friend the land manager managed to help his girlfriend nail a nice gobbler before Easter service. It had a 9 3/4" beard, 7/8" spurs and weighed 19 1/2lbs. Her first turkey, congrats to Ann.

This Sat. April 2nd. The morning was raining and wind was howling 35 to 40mph. In spite of the fact the weather was truly bad I decided to tough it out in a blind at the farm Ann got her's that morning. I sat in one place from daylight to noon, all I could hear was the wind blowing down dead pine trees. The light rain stopped but the wind continued. It spun the decoys like tops at times. After 6hrs in the blind, including a much needed nap I decided enough was enough. I couldn't hear the birds and they probably couldn't hear me.

So I gathered up my stuff and started to make it back to the truck. The wind was gusting so hard I couldn't keep my hat on. One gust hit me with such ferocity that it actually sounded off the crow call around my neck. I stuffed the call into a shirt pocket to silence it.

In spite of the fact the odds were severely against it I carefully surveyed the fields I had to cross to return to my vehicle. There were two fields between me and my truck. The first field held no birds, no surprise. But as I was about to step into the second field I noticed two blobs 300yds away. Glassing from back in the woods revealed two mature gobblers out in the field feeding. The wind was blowing from me to them and odds were in my favor they could hear me but a box or slate would not have enough volume to carry to the birds. Using a diaphragm with partially paralyzed lips is very difficult. I had been practicing compensating for this disability shortcoming and was about to be forced to put my new calling style to the test. I donned my headnet and stashed my hat. I belly crawled to the edge of the access road and stuck a lone decoy in it. I then belly crawled to a brush pile at the edge of the field and lay in it. I started to use the diaphragm (It was a Drury Outdoors triple reed I had left over from two years ago, the only diaphragm I had with me!). Some yelps and cutting got the birds attention. Surprising myself, I actually sounded decent. I could tell they were listening by their body attitudes. They did not break into strut and though it appeared they may be gobbling all I could hear was wind. This was unimportant though. It was obvious they could hear me. They also appeared to like what they heard. When the birds were 160yds away they stalemated for the next 30min. I decided a slate call might reach them and reached into my vest to retrieve one. I prompting dropped it slate down in the mud. I don't care how weatherproof your slate is, none of them are mud proof. I couldn't risk trying to clean it up to get it working again. I reached into my vest and pulled out a spare. This time my Lohman. Would have liked to use one of my homemade ones but that wasn't in the cards this day. I simply couldn't risk being seen reaching for it. I added some purrs on the slate to my diaphragm cutting and yelping. That did it. I broke the hang up and they began moving towards me again. At 35yds I started sizing them up and picked what I thought was the most mature of the two. While still on my belly I poked the muzzle through a hole in the brush pile and scored number four gobbler for this year. Thanking God I dragged my severely cramped body out of the brush pile to secure the bird. My cramped neck was relieved slightly from the adrenaline rush of taking the bird. Staying still in that position in a lot harder than it was pre injury. The calling session had lasted about an hour.

I still have one tag left. Three hunting days and four mature gobblers is simply unprecedented good fortune. I probably should quit while I'm ahead. But the season doesn't close here until May 2nd.

Most of the time calling a gobbler accross a field that far is a loosing proposition. Usually a hen responds the gobbling bird and spirits him away. In this case I think the same wind that was preventing me from hearing them also prevented a hen from hearing and intercepting him.

Bird Four 2005

The small pile of sticks I was laying in when I shot this bird is directly behind me. How is that for sparse cover?

This bird had a 10 1/2" beard, 3/4" spurs and weighed 18lbs.

There is no doubt whatsoever that the NWTF Woodlands program implemented by Aubrey Jr. over four years ago, is paying huge dividends. I feel absolutely certain these same birds were jakes I passed on in previous years. I have no doubt in my mind this is so. I passed on four jakes so far this season and Ann passed on one. So far next years gobbler crop is well underway. There are for sure more trophy birds to be had on these lands, I have already seen them. I feel I have gotten more than my fair share already.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey BG, Great stories and some really fine flicks. I can almost smell the Pine needles.

How `bout telling us about that shotgun, choke and shells you are using? Browning? Briley choke? 3" shells?

Congratulations and I'll be expecting to hear about that next gobbler too.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
I can only hope to be half as good as you next month in NY. I'll be taking the Benelli Nova and my Browning bow.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Hot Core,

I have one of the first Browning BPSs offered in 3 1/2" 12ga. I bought it brand new in 1990.

It patterns both Federal Premium and Winchester supreme 3 1/2" #4s very well.

The stainless choke was made by a gunsmith in Alabama and I have had it so long I can't read the markings on it nor remember who made it. I only remember the store I bought it in and I honestly don't think they carry them anymore.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey BG, I'll "guess" you have no problem at all knowing when it "fires"!

The first 3 1/2" gun I got to fire was (thankfully) a Benelli semi-auto that a young fellow had. I noticed it as he carred it up to the Line and went over to admire it. His first shot had a flame come out the Ejection Port that appeared to be 3' long. I got him stopped and we looked it over, but could not see anything wrong, nor was anything broken. So he cranks it off again and this time the Flame was only about 1' long.

I thought about it and asked him if he had "cleaned" the gun since he had bought it. "No.", he just bought it and brought it directly to the Range.

Next shot was fine. So, it was apparently "dieseling" by burning off the Shipping Lube inside the Chamber and Barrel which he had not cleaned out.

Then a buddy, who is an avid Turkey hunter, bought a 3 1/2" Mossburg Pump and it has proven to be quite a fine shotgun for him. BUT, his eyes tend to "squint" a bit when he describes the felt recoil with the Super Extra Full choke.
---

It sure is nice when more than one brand of shell patterns well like yours is doing.

Best of luck on #4.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Hotcore,

I am trying for #5Wink

I have a mercury tube in the magazine and a Limbsaver recoil pad on the gun. Honestly, shooting it now is no issue whatsoever. I have also have no problem using the same gun with 3 1/2" loads out of a duck blind. Keep in mind, shots at ducks are much more frequent. These modifications made and incredible difference in recoil on the weapon. Straight out of the box you are quite correct. It would feel like it was gonna rip your head off when you pulled the trigger Red Face

one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Most guys would give anything to get "one" bird like any of those out of a whole season Eeker thumb. Habitat management does pay off, in a phrase - more fire beer. I hope to be heading to Tennessee for what is becoming a yearly addiction nut. I've scored the last two years on big toms. Here's last year's bird.

Eastern wild turkey hunting in East Texas is joke Mad and Texas Parks & Wildlife is lying to everyone about their successful "reintroduction" - might as well sit around in the woods and wait for lightning to strike you - too little fire, too many poachers, and too many corn feeders.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheBigGuy:
Hotcore,

I am trying for #5Wink...
Well...Duuuuuhhhh! Lets see here 2+1+1=4. Not real sure what I had on my mind. Can't even think of a "bad" excuse. Big Grin

My buddy with the 3 1/2" Mossburg, Dennis, is using his Modified choke and getting fine patterns. But, it does sound like you really went the extra steps to do everything possible to abate the recoil.

Just out of curiosity, do you believe Porting the barrel would help any. Another buddy, Phillip, hunts in a place that has a Shotgun Season and had an 870 Ported to use there with slugs. And he had a Decellerator put on it. I've shot it and the combination did seem to help with the recoil when compared to my old factory stock 20" 870 SPS.

Anyway, best of luck on #5.
---

Hey Redlander, Congratulations on a fine bird too. What kind of gun, choke and load are you using?

One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Porting the barrel should help. I would lean towards a screw in choke like a CompNChoke. That way you don't was a barrel if you are unhappy with the increased muzzle blast.

The last bird I shot I was laying on my belly prone. My gun is not ported for a reason. Shooting a ported gun from prone can violently stir up dangerous debris. Plus it seems to magnify muzzle blast. Unfortunately I speak from experience. I had to find out the hard way Red Face My ears rang for three days and one trickled blood for two. I am not anti porting. Ported guns have their place. Just know the limitations they impose.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheBigGuy:
...Shooting a ported gun from prone can violently stir up dangerous debris. Plus it seems to magnify muzzle blast. Unfortunately I speak from experience. I had to find out the hard way Red Face My ears rang for three days and one trickled blood for two. ...
Hey BG, I am familiar with muzzle blast from rifles creating a small dirt storm, but I don't personally remember ever firing a shotgun with the barrel that close to the ground.

Also made a HUGE mistake by firing my 350RemMag without ear plugs - twice. Didn't have the blood trickle though, so I guess I was better off than you were.

I've enjoyed the discussion and look forward to the next Turkey flick.