Find
Notify
Tools

AK Moose Outfitters ???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ryan
posted
I am beginning to research a moose hunt in Alaska for 2005. Can anyone recommend an outfitter? We are looking for a Moose / Caribou combo hunt with moose being the primary species� hoping for an opportunity at a 55+ inch critter.

Any comments good or bad are appreciated.

Ryan

Posts: 81 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 28 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out the Yukon Territory. I know an outfitter who guides hunters to HUGE bou and his smallest moose last year was 62". Cheap? No. Worth it? YOU BET!

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Ryan,
I was with this outfitter in September 2002 for moose, grizzly & wolves http://www.deltana.com/hunting.htm I had a great time and saw lots of game. The only grizzlies that I saw were sows with cubs. I ended up with a 62" moose and 2 wolves. The area I was in does not have caribou in it.
All equipment is top notch and you are right out in the wild. This is not a 5 star resort type hunt, but a fun, in the wild hunt. You can see the comments that I made October 2002 here http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB45&Number=475211&Forum=,,,,f45,,,,&Words=alaskan%20moose&Searchpage=3&Limit=25&Main=475211&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=0&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post475211.
Ralph Miller , the outfitter is a great guy and has great people working for him. I think so highly of him that I have the following trips set with Deltana, a Dall sheep hunt this August and have a another moose as well as a brown bear hunt set up for 2005.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ryan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the posts... I havn't seen much of a difference in price between Yukon and AK prices unless you go the drop camp route in AK.

We are looking closly at the Yukon...

Posts: 81 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 28 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ryan, A few years ago, I went through the same process that you are going through now. I decided on a Yukon moose and caribou hunt vs. Alaska. Main reason being I wanted more of a mountain/horse back hunt. Fewer outfitters in the Yukon also. Eight months to go. TTS

Posts: 84 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ryan;

if u want to save some $. i know of a guy the hunts moose 2x1. he is a father son operation and only takes 6 guys a year in the fairbanks area. he has 100% success and took one last year around 210 b.c.

he specializes in father son hunts. he is an outfiter who only guides for 1 animal moose.

he does sheep nad bear guiding for another outfitter and is excellent guide. very fit. he has doing moose for 3 yrs now and has been 100% success from year 1.

hit me offline if u are interested.

cold zero